My letter to the editor

by larc 15 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Yesterday, our local newspaper ran the story about the JW pedophile issue. Just a few moments ago, I emailed a letter to the editor. I hope it gets published, and I hope that some of you will also email your newspaper regarding the news.

Well, the stuff is hitting the fan, as Simon pointed out.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Unfortunately, I believe this is going to blow over. Mind posting a copy of the letter?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

There was an article in a local paper here yesterday: Witnesses facing excommuniation for criticism. It's an Associated Press story. Bill Bowen, Carl and Barbara Pandelo and Barbara Anderson are mentioned.

• Solace
    Solace

Ya' know,
    I have seen some religious based letters to the editor here in our hometown paper. I never considered sending one myself. I will have to give it more thought. Did you sign your name to your letter?
    Let us know how things go.

• larc
    larc

Naeblis,

Hear is what I wrote;

Lately, the Catholic Church has received a lot of media attention because of its problem with pedophilia. Other religions are facing the same issue, but sadly with the same resistence that has been demonstrated by the Catholic hierarchy. In the DDN on May 10th, there was an article (p. 7A) about this problem amongst the Jehovah's Witnesses. To learn about this issue, you con search on your computer for: silentlambs.org. Also, the peaceful Amish are not immune to this problem. You can find information on this with the term: amishabuse.

I think that in this information age, these kinds of crimes, cover-ups, and injustices need to be exposed, wherever they exist.

My name
    My city.

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Naeblis,

I'm afraid that I have to agree with you on this one. As much as I would love to see the Society brought to their knees by this latest abuse of power, I just don't feel that this story is going to hang around long enough to make an impact on those who need to hear it the most. ::sigh::

Brian

• Solace
    Solace

larc,
    The letter is basic and clear and doesnt contain allot of personal opinions or bashing etc. So what if it blows over.
    Even if the letter helps only some, it is still worth the print.

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Heaven,

I didn't mean to suggest that there was anything wrong with larc's letter to the editor. I'm just concerned that this whole issue won't make the impact that we all hope it will.

I agree with you totally, though...even if only one person reads it and it makes a difference then it was more than worth the effort.

BTW, I'm still trying to creep out of the 'lurkdom' phase so if you guys could overlook any of my glaring mistakes here for a bit, I'd be most appreciative.

Good luck with that letter larc!

Brian

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Because children are involved, this story cannot "blow over" . There is a certain momentum to all the issues facing the WTBTS and because they no longer control the flow of information their problems are here to stay. The Internet is the nemesis. Things may seem quiet at times but they will be smoldering. There has been too much injustice and the methods they used in the past simply will not work. Within in two days of posting the letters of judicial hearings BillBowen, Barbara Anderson and Carl and Barbara Pandelo are the subject of newspaper articles across the country. When did you ever see that happen! That's power and that kind of power used to belong only to the WTBTS. The Internet has leveled the playing field. Also, note that Silent Lambs has taken the "high moral ground" which is an absurd contradiction to the WTBTS claim of being "God's channel of communication on Earth , which claim is an insult to every informed person. What's that quote..."You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time."

• jerome
    jerome

Everything bolws over sooner or later depending on public oppinion.

I personally dident think that this would make the headlines so younever how far it could get.

As for me if I werent involved with a JW I couldent have cared less about it.

jerome

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit