Is governance by the "Governing" Body merely an ILLUSION?

by Terry 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Jesus received his mission orders from Jehovah.

The Apostles received their mission orders from Jesus.

Philip received his mission orders from an angel.

Paul received his mission orders directly from a vision of Christ.

Barnabas took Paul to Jerusalem where he met James (Jesus’ brother and Peter) for fiteen days. No mission was ordered by Jerusalem.

Paul and Barnabas returned to Antioch.

After moving to Antioch, Paul and Barnabas had the hands of the local congregation laid upon them and they received their mission orders from the Antioch congregation under direction of the Holy Spirit. Upon completion of the Antioch commission to do missionary work, they reported back to the Antioch congregation and gave them a report.

Representatives from Jerusalem stirred up trouble in Antioch about circumcision. Paul had to go up to Jerusalem to straighten them out!

Question: what GOVERNING BODY directed all these activities? Answer: none.

Fast Forward in time.

The year is 1942. Rutherford has passed and Nathan Knorr is President.

7 members of the NY corporation and 5 members of the Pennsylvania corporation met with Knorr, Hayden Covington and Fred Franz. The members of these boards and corporations voted to have President Knorr empowered to create a missionary school, create textbooks and oversee a worldwide educational work.

Neither Russell nor Rutherford nor Knorr consulted a Governing Body. The President solely directed doctrine without the consultation or approval of others.

In 1917, President Rutherford had dismissed his Board of Directors when they disagreed with his policies. They were replaced by a rubber stamp figurehead board thereafter.

When did the governing begin by a body separate from the President?

The Governance of that Governing Body came about as the result of an internal struggle in 1974/1975!

Prior to that moment the term “Governing” was loosely applied to corporation matters of the board of directors in publishing.

1975/76 was different.

This is the year Fred Franz had selected as the END of Six Thousand years of Human Existence. (Which meant Armageddon must come and the 1000 year reign of Christ must begin.)

This year actually marked the end of credibility as a religion and the beginning of a new Incredibility of Authoritarian cult control.

The birth of the Governing Body as a spiritual arbiter came over the protestations of both President Knorr and Fred Franz. It was viewed as a coup or overthrow of sole Presidential power.

The impossibility of 1975 delivering on all the hints and pressure of the publications (as penned by Franz) per Armageddon had caused an implosion in the power structure.

Knorr would not reign in Franz and Franz protected Knorr’s sole power to permit the date-setting and push for the Armageddon scenarios.

The only alternative was to create a committee as a “safety valve” which could cut off the flow of outrageous statements, predictions and tomfoolery which was (in 1975) embarrassing the Watchtower religion world wide by holding them up to ridicule.

With the final passing of Knorr the new President became a (weakened) Fred Franz.

Slowly, the iron grip of pressure to conform to corporate dictates strangled the remaining freedoms of the membership.

Today, Kingdom Halls are rife with paranoia and fear. Freedom of conscience is nowhere in evidence. The threats of disfellowshipping and Armageddon reign supreme.

• sir82
    sir82

Didn't I read somewhere that the thought of wacky Fred Franz finally being "at the top" terrorized the WTS board so much that they created the "Governing Body" construct to effectively curtail the power of the WTS president before Fred got his hands on it?

They knew Knorr was dying, Freddy was next in line, so they pre-emptively made sure no more "1975" style embarrassments would occur again.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Good stuff Terry!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Terry,

Interesting and informative analysis.

Thanks!

Oubliette

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

On a somewhat related by disimilar thought, what if a few top WT corporate officers took legal means to steer the WT organization in a direction to their own liking. JF Rutherford style but quieter. Who could stop them? The GB don't have any legal power, as I understand it in recent years.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Good analysis, Terry, but I slightly disagree with you on this statement:

"This year actually marked the end of credibility as a religion and the beginning of a new Incredibility of Authoritarian cult control."

As far as I'm concerned, the WTS started across the bridge to authoritarianism way back under Rutherford. They hit the halfway mark with Fred Franz and 1975 (Ray saw what was happening and tried unsuccessfully to turn the Org back at this point), and Ted Jaracz's iron-fisted reign finally burned the bridge behind them.

Having a board of directors instead of a solitary president hasn't mitigated it, of course; A) the WTS's ideology and cosmology was pretty much set in stone and they can't really rewrite it without completely overhauling the religion, and B) the strongest personality in the GB runs the show, anyway (like the aforementioned Jaracz).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sir82 - "Didn't I read somewhere that the thought of wacky Fred Franz finally being 'at the top' terrified the WTS board so much that they created the 'Governing Body' construct to effectively curtail the power of the WTS president before Fred got his hands on it? They knew Knorr was dying, Freddy was next in line, so they pre-emptively made sure no more 1975-style embarrassments would occur again."

That definately rings a bell.

• prologos
    prologos

to add forward from jerusalem to the (supposed) writing of the apocalipse in 098? directions directly to 7 autonous congregations by "the Lord"

no Governing body there either, and

Revelation VISION of the structure on earth in the "Lords day' supposed from 1914 onward'

no governing body either.

the 20th century, the epoch of the inventions.

• Terry
    Terry

About all the Watch Tower has "sold" or peddled since Freddy died is the authority of their GB.

I mean--nothing but that.

• Wulf
    Wulf

Interesting analysis Terry. So you directly link the emergence of the GB to Franz's failed 75 prediction?

As obvious as that might seem, I had never thought of it that way. I had assumed that it was a restructuring based on the size of the orgnization and individuals flexing muscles within the power structure, which included Franz and Knorr obviously but was a certain time in coming and linked to various factors.

While it is a bit before my time, I think I saw people who had taken the Presidency side or the GB side. I would really like to get to the bottom of this, out of personal curiosity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit