Do you pray over your meals? If so why? If not, when did you stop and why?

by BU2B 48 Replies latest jw friends

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Actually even as a fully fledged jw I couldn't see the reasoning behind those public silent prayers and in fact prayers at home over food. Isn't god the "reader of hearts"? I always had mind pictures of the Pharisees when it came to prayer. Yes I did it but like most of the jws I knew, my mind was on the thought of getting into the food before the kids ate it all not god accepting my "appreciation"!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have not prayed in over 10 years. What I learned is that I am not missed. If you happen to speak to god, ask him (or her) if he misses me? I think I know the answer.

I love to eat, and even without a prayer, the food tastes pretty good.

• prologos
    prologos

if you were ever really hungry, for a long time, it makes you more inclined to be thankfull. for the presence of food/energy period.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I never did, my husband at the time was disfellowshipped, it was awkward, so I just didn't.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

No, stopped when I woke up. Realized if he ever existed, he stopped caring long ago.

• kaik
    kaik

I do not pray and I think it is nonsense. The food I have is not for free. I had to work to earn money to get the food and sometimes I must cook for hours to make great meal for my family. It did not fall from the sky, nobody helped me to get it into pot and table. I am annoyed when people pray around food as it was a gift yet they paid for it. It was not free. I had evangelical coworker and we went to lunch together. His CC was declined and I paid for his lunch. Instead thanking me and offering me to pay next lunch or reimburse me (I would not really care as the amount would not break me), he started to make rain dances around the table and thanking Jesus that he got lunch from him. When I pointed to him that I paid for it as a gesture of good will, he said that it was will of Jesus. He never thanked me and never invited me for lunch as payback. If you pray for food that you paid and made for, there is old Czech saying "Lets hope God knocks it out of your mouth".

• prologos
    prologos

food is stored solar energy and energy was before matter, it came from a long way back and we should be thankful to be at the end of that food-energy line,

without getting personal about it.

• Bella15
    Bella15

I only do it when I feel the need. I say thank you Lord for this meal And that's it.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

I never had the habit of praying before meals. I do not feel guilty but maybe I should.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I used to pray because my parents told me to. I don't pray anymore. I do talk to myself. I also talk to animals and birds... and sometimes humans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit