I was a window washet...

by new hope and happiness 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

NH&H said, " Never cared for school Nathan."

I would never have guessed!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yet Nathan you may be surprised to know i was educated at one the worlds best universities.

The university of life.

I failed.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Actually cleaning windows i learnt a lot about people.

One story is of an Indian man who asked me to paint his restaurant. I was warned by a man who i cleaned windows that he wouldnt pay. This is what happend. Now the man who gave me this advice lived in a mansion with tennis courts. When i told him he was right, the man personally went around to the mans home, and next day the indian man paid me.

I was very touched by the generosty and trust given me by complete strangers. One christmas gift that touched me was from a lady who gave me a lovely box basket from Harrods filled with christmas goodies. It wasnt the extravegent gift that touched me, rather that i never personally met her.

So i think it gave me a good education of people, non witnesses, but in general nice people who treated a lowly window cleaner with respect.

• bemused
    bemused

Hi NHAH

As several people have said, the term 'window-washer' is often used to represent individuals such as elders who have an anti-education stance, while having influence over people's lives in roles that they have no qualifications or training to carry out. I agree with you that it is unfair to imply that there is anything fundamentally wrong with window cleaning as a career choice.

Through my relatives I met a JW elder (he is in fact a window cleaner - sorry!) who told me that he didn't believe in evolution. When I asked him which books he'd read on evolution he said he hadn't read any. I offered to lend him some but he declined on the grounds that he knew it was wrong so he'd be wasting his time!

He may be a great window cleaner, but his critical thinking capacities are clearly very limited and it's painful to think that he has a lot of influence at the KH.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I agree bemused, but qualifications and responsibility. Now take a G.P doctor, and a patient who has depression. Does the doctor decide if a patient is depressed based on his knowlege or how the government decides. Its all statistics like if i take a driving test, the tester knows he has a statistic of those he passes and fails, he works withon those guidelines. My point is critical thinking is compromised by power.

If i want to take a loan from the bank to buy a house with 80% deposit i cant get the loan. Why? The bank manager will say its not a safe investment. But they will give a mortgage with a 10% deposit. Why ? with the loan they make no interst in comparrison with selling a mortgage. Does this make the bank manager a man you respect, or a man who like elders puts self interst and survival above what he knows is right?

My point is when i got my own estate agency i was less of a man in terms of morals and compassion than when i cleaned windows. I think if we live in a world with a class system, and all organisations have class systems, it is then we compromise our ethical and moral standards to climb the ladder.

Thats why i love Art and Music and creativity, its worth more than cars,play stations and ego.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Bemused, i new ex- director of a company, lives in a detached house and no mortgage in a very affluent area. He took early retirment to start a gardening round....why? i guess he liked gardening and talking with his customers...I always liked this man, he sent his son to private school and his son didnt take to it...his son turned out to be gay. ( nothing wrong with that) but this man i know found his son sexuality something he didnt exspect...He loves hos son and his sons boyfriend....i think education is great if you use it to stand by your principlas....and i think real happiness comes from within.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

NH&H, you said you started your own estate agency. What is that, do you mean real estate agency?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

New York...it was no big deal... owning a Real Estate agency, in England requires no qualifications...just self drive and determination along with a pleasent disposition. Ok thats not true...it required people choosing ME to sell there home and not a competitor. Same skills as window cleaning or being good on the ministry....except i had an advantage over my competitors, i was working for me and not employed...i guess that is self drive and determination...but i saw it as fun.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

New Hope, it sounds like you have the required sales skills and the willingness to work hard. Good luck to you.

BTW, how is the real estate market where you are? Are we climbing out of the crisis state?

• Bella15
    Bella15

@ "...yesterday my kid told me he wants to play for Man United...i think all 9 year olds should have that dream and not be told its better to serve Jehover. But not defending the watchtower, if my boy doesnt want to go to university, i wont make him. ..he can be a laywer or a postman, but whats important is its his choice. ( Hope its not to start a new religion) ..."

Exactly ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit