I was a window washet...

by new hope and happiness 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Thete are a lot of derocatory comments sbout witnesses and cleaning windows. As a former window cleaner i can say:-

A. I started my self employment at 17.

B. I built the round with my own initiative.

C. I was soon making 4 times the average hourly wage.

D. I was afraid of heights, but as the round grew i employed 2 people.

E. It exspanded to gardening painting and decorating ect, ect,

F. I cleaned Mike Oldfields house and met some fantastic people.

G. I saved the money and got a job where i could get a mortgage.

H i was early twenties when i purchased my first house with a large deposit from cleaning windows.

I i exsperienced being my own boss and it gave me the courage to start my own Estate Agency.

j if i had been inclined there were some fantastic opportunities with female householders.

So i think window cleaning has great opportunities and wouldnt knock it.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

There was a guy I knew in nj who was dirt poor and started a window cleaning business... we laughed. He is retired in his mid fifties

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

My hats off to you.

Bill gates did well with Windows also.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

You sound like a hard working entrepreneur. Good for you!

Window cleaning (and carpet cleaning, lawn care, fast food work, construction laborer, etc.) is an important job.

Some of us choose to earn a living in other ways. That's all. I don't knock what you do for a living. So try not to be defensive. I just decided early on that I'd rather make a living with my mind - not with my muscles.

Every person walks his own path in life.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I did window cleaning in my teens, worked two days a week, pioneered, ran a car and had beer money. All on two days a week work, and they were short days !

It was, and still is I guess, a good earner, but, it rots your brain. If that is all you have done in life, and you have been inside the JW Bubble all that time, you are a brain-dead uneducated drone of the W.T.

And yet that is what a majority of JW Elders are !

"Window washers" is used for short-hand to explain the skills lacking in such men who hold the lives of people in their hands. This lack of education and skills suitable to the task goes right the way up to the Governing Body of JW's.

They are all metaphorical window washers.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

No disrespect to you and other self-starters like yourself is intended. I think that the term window washer is meant to represent a class of person with zero formal training, education or motivation to better themselves. These people have bought into the fairy-tale that the can fritter away their youth pioneering at the expense of their middle-age future trapped in a physically taxing, menial job content because the end is just around the corner.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Congrats on making something of your business.

The jokes on window washers and janitors do get old around here at times. The real issue as I see it is that many JWs are pushed toward these occupations because of the Watchtower's prohibition on higher education, coupled with their end times theology.

So many in their late teens and early 20's come out of high school with no direction other than "pioneer". So they grab any well paying job that doesn't require an education.

In 90% of the cases, window washing and house cleaning is not a chosen occupation, its the default setting because they don't qualify for anything else other than fast food or retail work. The WT should be ashamed at the economic damage it causes on hundreds of thousands of intelligent people.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Thanks for the kind replys...

I would say that having a skilled job and earning lots of money makes being a father very hard.

Iam not a rich man in monthly income, i live on the rental of two properties i own. But i have had nine fantastic years with my kid...worth so much more than money. So i think ...well i moved to sweden so i am out the competitive world in England. I think the skills needed to govern anybody are not dictated by what job a person has. The skill is to learn that you dont have that right nor responsibility to change another. I can honestly say my nine year old child has taught me more than anybody. When he was 4 he told me to calm down when i got cross in a traffic jam.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

There's nothing wrong with that. The sad thing is that for many JWs these are the only jobs they aspire to because superior education is out of the question. I dropped out of grade 10 in 1970 because I was taught I wouldn't finish college or wouldn't have a career before the end. My lack secular education made it difficult to market my skills to their full value. Of course I acquired skills and experience in the organization, but today I realize that all this could have been done by investing a few more years in school rather than a lifetime in JWisme. It is absolutely normal for children to dream of becoming a fireman, hockey player, astronaut, physician or scientists....it's just sad the organization is full of people content to be window washers and office cleaners...

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yea NVR.yesterday my kid told me he wants to play for Man United...i think all 9 year olds should have that dream and not be told its better to serve Jehover. But not defending the watchtower, if my boy doesnt want to go to university, i wont make him. ..he can be a laywer or a postman, but whats important is its his choice. ( Hope its not to start a new religion)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit