Molestation Policies in OTHER religions

by amac 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• amac
    amac

I, like others on this website and within the JW religion, would like to see the policy on molesters changed so that all accusations are placed in the hands of the authorities to let them investigate.

This aside, it seems that many are intent on attacking the JWs over their lack of such a policy. There is a big difference between reform and "tearing down."

It seems that the JWs current policy about dealing with cases of molestation are even more strict than many other religions. Check the article at http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2001/02/04/ky_chur.html

If that is the case, why single out JWs? Why wouldn't you campaign for all religions to update their policies?

When these concerns for abused children come from those who also seek the demise of the entire Watchtower organization, it is hard to determine if they truly want a reform to protect children or if they are simply using this as a tool to destroy an organization they bitterly despise.

Cheers,
    amac

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

JW's single themselves out, as they have since J. F. Rutherford wrested control of Russell's Bible Students.

1) No other religion orders its child molesting members to the people's doors.

2) No other religion expells/shuns its members for reporting molestion to authorities.

3) No other religion expels/shuns the victim's supporters.

NEXT QUESTION/S ??????

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

<~~~~~~~~~Singles out Catholic policy as needing (and getting) changed.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I would like to add that Jehovah's Witnesses have ALWAYS been, and will ALWAYS be, their own worst enemies.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

So, ARMAC, as a person who seeks reform of Jehovah's Witnesses, what have YOU done to precipitate such reform?

How much WICKEDNESS are you willing to tolerate from the WTS while you point accusing fingers at "everybody else"? How about cleaning up your own house first? How many VICTIMS does TRUE RELIGION require?

- Nathan Natas, UADNA
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• Will Power
    Will Power

Jehovah's Witness rhetoric is just that, people pleasing empty words.
    Anyone who has read any of their tripe, if they can keep from getting swept up in the self-saving utopia of it all, can weigh their actions against their words.

A perfectly happy bunch of people, and so much more happier than regular people, because of their exempliary conduct, their sole perfect worship and alliance with their god that only they know what he(?) wants, surely wouldn't sit around and make up victim stories.

To say that members are free to report a crime committed my another member no matter what their status, hardly makes sense when a poster here is terrified that someone might find out that they were having second thoughts about the year 607 b.c. UGH

Yeah, right.

• amac
    amac

1) No other religion orders its child molesting members to the people's doors.

This is a situation I still have trouble with. However, I currently feel that if a person is free, despite allegations of child molestation and despite the secular authorities investigating, then I can not expect a BOE to investigate him further and label him a child molester. I imagine if they did, they would be held liable for slander and defamation of character. I think a lot of cases need to be dealt with on an individual basis and cannot be covered by blanket rules.

2) No other religion expells/shuns its members for reporting molestion to authorities.

Under the current policy, this does not happen.

3) No other religion expels/shuns the victim's supporters.

Under the current policy, this does not happen. If you are referring to those who are being DF'ed in relation to the Dateline show, they are supposedly being DFed for "apostate" stuff. I don't know the details of these so I can't say if this is true or not. However, in Bill Bowen's case (no offense to Bill) from his posts on this board, he seems to be very much against the Watchtower Organization and intent on their demise. I get the strong feeling that if they were to reform their policies to his satisfaction that he would not return to the religion. That would be his choice. But at the same time, it seems as if they would be within their rights as a religion to excommunicate him.

I can speak of my own experience...I am currently supporting a victim and attending the trial of an accused JW child molester in support of the victim. I have not been expelled or counseled in any way.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I would like to know how:

1) ordering child molesters to people's doors

2) expulsion/shunning of victims

3) expulsion/shunning of victim's supporters

qualifies as 'more strict than other religions'?

UADNA-US (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-United States)

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Current policy is described in the May 15th 2002 Watchtower.

So under current policy, this most certainly DOES happen. Watchtower makes it clear that it will continue to happen untill

they are stopped in a court of law.

lose their tax-exempt status

donations and members decrease to the point of unsurvivability.

No one has to 'take the Watchtower' down. it is doing it all by itself.

• amac
    amac

Nathan -

So, ARMAC, as a person who seeks reform of Jehovah's Witnesses, what have YOU done to precipitate such reform?

Nothing yet. My time is mostly spent with my wife and children and the spare bits in supporting the extended family member who is the victim I mentioned. Once this trial is over, I will consider what I can do then. Since we are being personal, what about you?

How much WICKEDNESS are you willing to tolerate from the WTS while you point accusing fingers at "everybody else"?
    What WICKEDNESS am I tolerating? Please be specific. I made a generic statement, its not exactly pointing accusing fingers at "everybody else."

How many VICTIMS does TRUE RELIGION require?
    Zero, but every religion WILL have them, unfortunately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit