I Felt Proud Telling People That Michael Jackson Was Raised a JW

by Tempest in a Teacup 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

I just remembered this thing this morning:

Sharing the same faith with the King of Pop made me feel important for belonging to this religion, even if he was never baptised. We were not in America or anywhere close by. So it came as a real shock to many that the Michael guy used to go to field service.

It kind of gave me some type of social importance.

It was always a hit with my high school mates and kind of kept them off my back or at least reduced the mockery. I anticipated and relished the effect on them. lol

Did you also experience the same feeling, or used it as a way of showing people that this was also the religion of some "important" people?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I think he was baptized and was also disfellowshipped. He had a break in his career just before the thriller song was released, and i believe that was at that time he was baptized. I believe it was the thriller video that got him DFed due to his dancing with the dead.
  • Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    He was an unbaptized publisher. Never got baptized nor df'ed.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

I recall telling people that MJ was a dub, but I don't remember it having the intended effect on me or the person I told. Didn't feel better.

And then the Thriller video...omg...I was so embarrassed. I had been not celebrating Halloween for all those years, and there he is doing that.

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

and there he is doing that.

I don't know what but there's something funny in how you say this. LOL!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    He visited our hall once I was indifferent
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I was always embarrassed when someone name-dropped him or prince to a study or call. In my mind the truth should have been able to stand on its own without having to resort to "well so-and-so believes it so you should to" type arguments. Plus it seemed like a bad idea putting all your chips on one famous person that's liable to become a drug addict or something - and in the case of MJ it seems I was right.
  • Generation Me
    Generation Me
    My ex tried to pull that on me when we were listening to the Jackson 5. He said "You know Micheal Jackson was raised a Jehovah's Witness."

I told him that's nothing to be proud about. The father beat all his children and was in love with materialism rather then the well being of his family. He wanted fame at the expense of his kids. His kids fornicated and Micheal has been accused of pedophilia time and time again.

Telling people that Micheal was raised JW isn't something to be proud about.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes many JWS were noting that MJ was a JWS, to hightlight what a talented singer and song writer he was and how popular he was .

Unfortunately they didn't mention the human tragedy of his life being brought up in a very abusive and exploitive

childhood by his JWS father. Look how his life story turned out though ?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

In the employee break room there was a discussion about M.J. when he was accused of molesting that boy. He was being scorned for being a molester and mocked because of his plastic surgery and appearance. My former Boss (big time Catholic) brought up in a mocking way that Michael Jackson was a Jehovah's Witness and asked me about it as if I had some sort of responsibility to answer for all things JW. My Boss had demonstrated in the past his low opinion of JW's doctrine and the annoying door to door business. He's normally a great gut but he never missed a chance to embarrass me and put me on the spot about anything JW related.

On this occasion I said " So Paul....didn't Madonna do a photo shoot of herself nude on the cross and writhing around naked in a Catholic church . Seems like she's about as much of a Catholic as M.J. is a Jehovah's Witness."

That shut him up for good on the subject. Never said a thing again in my presence about JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit