Is there going to be a 2014 district convention?

by booker-t 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

For me, it will be a zero hour trip. I don't plan on going at all, and if you have to travel 300 or 400 km each way, I advise saving your gas and time and not going. If the program lets out at 5 PM (and that assumes no marathon prayers), you will get back home at 11 PM or so, and that assumes you break the speed limit. Then, to arrive by 9:20, you will have to leave home at 3 AM. If you do the speed limit (and the witlesses always harp on obeying the law), it is even worse. And falling asleep at the wheel is a real risk with those times of travel.

And they claim Satan is unreasonable?

• Laika
    Laika

My family's DC is 20 minutes train ride away from me this year, a 1 hour flight for them, but they won't be meeting me while they're here because I'm evil or something.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

What do you think it costs to rent the arena?

The one in Maine, sort of near me, looks to be around $1500 a day. That seems even cheaper than I would have thought. For that kind of money I could throw myself one crazy birthday party. And makes those $100+ concert tickets seem absurd.

I frequently wonder why they keep letting the JWs rent since they don’t seem to bring much to the local economy. They don’t hire any of the arena employees which seemed to be a requirement at a number of centers. (Maybe all that cleaning that gets done after the assembly is spun as a free spring cleaning service for the arena.) They probably don’t bring all that much revenue to the local businesses either, although I guess as long as it is a low use weekend even some revenue is better than none.

Also interesting that many conventions seem to be at Universities. Wonder if that ever registers with the attendees? They are probably both laughing at each other. The school is thinking “we get our cash from JWs one way or another” and the JWs are thinking “how ironic that we are the ones providing the real education”.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There will be 2014 DCs! Where else would nu-light be released!! This year is going to be HUGE! We will learn something significant!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUS3ZpgMORg

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

For many years the WTS. held the British Columbia DC in Vancouver at the Pacific Coliseum,

which kind of made sense being that the number of JWS were concentrated in that part of the Province.

There are many particulars surrounding the renting of these facilities, some involve unionized staff that

are suppose look after the cleaning and security of the events being held, some have to do with parking,

even legal contracts for private business who run food and concession stands.

But most important probably has to do with financial costs.

Outer skirt towns usually have lower cost hotels and motels too, where the WTS can make package deals

with these business, large main cities have accommodations to rent too

but then again the price usually goes way up .

• lrkr
    lrkr

Looks like the trend away from big stadium conventions is over. Huge venues!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Maybe the WTS. heads are looking at the money they now have thinking its the time to spend, having Assemblies at bigger venues creates more public attention.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

DATADOG said "Where else would nu-light be released!!" Disagree!!!

The Glorious Ones will NOT be releasing "new lite" at conventions.

All BIG announcements regarding doctrinal changes will be, and MUST be, announced at the new centrepiece of worship and adoration, the Annual Meeting in October!!

The GB are going to use it as a merchandising ploy to boost their positions in the eyes of the blinded and bewildered, by creating the illusion of wonderful new "spirit-directed" insights every year. They've already set the precedent in October 2012, so the beguiled will be anticipating something similar each year. Otherwise, the A.M. will just become a bore and an anti-climax to the majority.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LOL!! Yes, Searcher, you are most likely correct. That seems to be the trend. Like Herod speaking before the crowds as a "God", the GB need the center stage! The DC's will be an indoctrination session to build anticipation for the AGM's which are so special now, that everyone must watch them via Dell projector!! The conventions will continue to generate revenue and whet the appetites of those longing for the panda paradise.

DD

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

The OP is partly correct. They are getting rid of District conventions in 2015. See the post on the new regional conventions. This will save the branch money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit