Jehovah is the correct uttering of God's name

by mistified 39 Replies latest jw friends

• mistified
    mistified

I heard my witness friend that if the name Jehovah is the incorrect pronounciation from the hebrew scriptures, then Jeremiah is the incorrect way to say Jeremiah's name. I wonder if this is true, because if it is, that would make jws the true religion. Right?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

What? That makes no sense. We speak English. We're pronouncing ALL the Hebrew names incorrectly!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Oh Gawd, you serious ?

"Jehovah", or Jehova,was invented by a R.C monk in the Middle Ages, by putting the vowels of Adonai in to the the four cosonants YHWH, the correct pronunciation of the Hebrew word that would have been formed from YHWH is not known. The vowels used are not known.

The many Churches that use variants on Yahweh probably get closer to the original pronunciation, but so what ? does that make them the true religion ?

Of course all Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek words are prone to being Anglicised in translation, the name Jesus included.

Do some research on the origins of the god Yahweh.

You will be amazed.

• Viviane
    Viviane

No, not right.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Hey Phizzy, my hubby told me the exact same thing this weekend, which I never knew.

Thanks for that.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Both Jehovah and Jeremiah are anglicised versions of the Hebrew names, so your friend is correct that the original Hebrew pronunciation is not the way these names are spoken in English. Whether or not your friend is correct has no bearing on whether Jehovah's Witnesses are the true religion. They are either chosen by God or they are not, regardless of how they pronounce his name.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Theres no J in Hebrew

• LisaRose
  • Terry
    Terry

There are 40,000 denominations in Christianity who each describe a different sort of Jesus Christ.

The Mormon "Jesus" is different from the Catholic "Jesus" who is different from the Jehovah's Witness "Jesus" and so on.

All the same NAME and yet, the theology and definitions are each different enough to cause divisions.

"My Jesus" just isn't the same as yours.

In Japan, Elvis Presley is called Ervis Plesry.

Elvis impersonators copy the only real Elvis in style, behavior and costume.

No matter how they pronounce his name, everybody around the world knows who the actual Elvis really was.

Ask yourself why this is so and you'll begin to understand something about Jehovah.

Is the most important thing about ELVIS the way you say his name?

Elvis was more than his haircut, hip-swiveling, vocal interpretations and costume because he was a real person.

Millions of fans have seen Elvis, but nobody has ever seen Jehovah.

All we have to represent the IDEA of Jehovah comes from an old assembly of oral traditions passed down, copied and translated over and over.

At different times and places, the concept of this Jehovah has changed like the definitions of Jesus have been taken and expanded by the 40,000 different Christian denominations.

Regardless of who is saying Jehovah or Yah-weh or Elvis or Ervis. . .

the BIG DIFFERENCE is conceptual, subjective, and interpretive.

It doesn't matter except to those who make it matter. . .TO THEMSELVES.

People make idols, gods and heroes as they need them. They always have.

Scholars assure us Yah-Weh is closer to an authentic pronunciation. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.

No matter what you say or how you say it. . .

no matter how you describe "god" it is YOUR description and no reality.

If you make a fetish out of something and begin insisting you are right and everybody else is wrong, all you prove is

the obsessive nature of your own compulsions.

________________S I V L E__________________

• emeth
    emeth

a study of jews about the pronunciation of Gods name YHWH http://www.karaite-korner.org/yhwh_2.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit