Do religous people have a higher / lesser I.Q.than non religous people ? Or vice-versa. Or is it irrelevant..

by smiddy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

Maybe a bit of background information here to see where I am going with this thread.I only had a basic education , leaving school as a 14 year old. Though being grouded in the three R`s reading, righting, and rithmatic.My first job lasted over 12years , had a few interesting jobs in the intervening years , and my last job lasted 28 years. retiring at the age of 68 years.I consider myself fortunate to have had a good work ethic.Now getting back to my topic , I was converted as a 20 year old , and as I said with only a basic education . I played truant a lot in my final years of school ,I had a problem with being told what to do by authourities.Looking back I marvel I didnt end up a juvenile delinquent.

Since coming to this site I am amazed at the range of intellectuall knowledge and ability of posters here who cover topics I had never even heard of , both of a religous and secular nature. .. I stand in awe at some of the topics discussed here. How did you ever become a jehovahs witness in the first place.?

Again coming back to my O.P. , how do people who I consider far more intelligent than I, with a far higher education , get involved with what we all agree on now, is a cult religion that none of us should ever have been a part of .

I hope I have articulated my question accurately , please respond as I would love to here your comments.

smiddy

• jam
    jam

I have seen people come into borg for different agendas.

I'm speaking about the first generation, those born in have

no chose.

For men it is a great organization, think about it "women don't

speak ask your husband, your head".The women, it was good

for them (if they except the headship bull) also. About 75% of

the couples that came in around the same time as my wife and

I, were having marriage problems. Now if the husband get out of

line she can take him before the Elders. LOL

The biggest problem, we didn't have the net.

• Badfish
    Badfish

I would have to agree with jam. You would have to differentiate between born-ins and converts to get an accurate analysis. Obviously, the majority of those who convert to a religion such as Jehovah's Witnesses would have to be sub-par when it comes to critical thinking skills. The ones who are born into the religion and are brainwashed from birth on have an existential crisis waiting for them as they approach adulthood if they do possess an above-average intelligence.

However, if you give any weight to the theological perspective, this is irrelevant to you. After all, he has "hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and has revealed them to babes."

• smiddy
    smiddy

jam

I have seen people come into borg for different agendas

My obversation : men can come in because over time they see that they can control their wives activities. empathis on control.

Wives come in because they dont have to think for themselves , the onus rests on the brothers who give the counsel. G.B. / Elders etc.

I dont mean to be sexist here , but it is an observation I have made.

I welcome your thoughts.

smiddy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think the religion "dumbs you down" . You may have a natural intelligence, but the effect of being in a cult limits your critical thinking skills. Answers are conveniently provided for you. The Watchtower study gives you the questions and the answers, you need only highlight the very obvious answer, then parrot it back, there, duty done, no thinking involved. Independent thinking is highly discouraged.

It's use it or lose it.

• smiddy
    smiddy

jam/Badfish

I totally agree this doesnt really apply to born ins , i`m sorry about that , born ins have no choice as to what religion they are .

It mainly concerns those who do choose to become JW`s at some stage in their life. converts . like myself. I`m sorry if I wasnt so clear about it.

smiddy

• Badfish
    Badfish

That is a very humble thing for you to say, smiddy, and I admire you for saying it.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Smitty....How did you become a JW in the first place?

In a word, 'STUPID'..and i was 23 when i got dunked back in the 70s. Maybe i was trying to mend my ways, was fed up with my 'worldly' life..

I got lucky on the crap table in Vegas and rolled the dice for almost an hour,got drunk, bought a house, bunch of crap and I was still not satisfied..

Nothing smart about it, just fooled, conned, by a lie...

insot4

• never a jw
    never a jw

Being an atheist since 13 because my dislike of the unloving God and my love of science, I can understand your position. I am also amazed as how cults can control people as intelligent as many of the best posters here. It's a big mystery. Seeing is believing. Cults do have a power that I can't explain. Just amazing!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I love, love, LOVE your question. lol

Ooooo . It would be so fun to be at a dinner party tonight, wine glass in hand (water for me. I don't drink) sitting around a fire with good friends and new people, discussing this excellent question. I could probably write an essay on this.

But, very briefly, which cannot be brief, and I hope this does not go on for 105 pages.

Which group would be under the heading of non-religious people? Would you put North Korean Communists, with educated Atheists? They don't believe in God, for entirely different reasons.

Religious people? Different religions, different neighborhoods, different needs. Jews, Muslins, Amish. They are too different to compare.

Jehovah's Witnesses... I have (had?) a friend that was Valedictorian of her High School. It wasn't a very big, HS, less than 1000 people in the 4 grades.

She received every scholarship possible. She could have had all 4 years paid for at the University of her choice. Instead, this book smart young woman became a regular pioneer, for decades.

She is way smarter than I, yet I woke up and left and she is still "in".

The opening question is redundant

Which came first. The chicken or the egg?

But, answering your question about the people on this Forum?

JW's are told they are smarter than The Pope because they know YHWH's REAL personal English name and use it.

I say when they were handing out brains, the JW's were busy driving around endlessly wasting their time and gas, looking for sheep™ and didn't receive their fair share. (Not meant to be funny in any way) (JW's for the most part, innocently get enticed into a religion with promises of paradise and seeing their dead loved ones again on this earth) (Sounds good. Unfortunately, only gullible people need apply).

Most people on this Forum are priceless for having the brains to open their eyes to what are lies and what is truth and decide not to put up with WT bull do do's anymore, and they make the decision to go out and live their lives as normal people.

OK. I am finished.

LoisLane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit