Don't tell me that I am a priority in your life

by KariOtt 31 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's usually better to communicate your needs in a proactive way, rather than telling him after the fact that he disappointed you. I am sure you would prefer that he do that to you. I don't know your particular situation, but I can tell you whatt things were like that in my first marriage. I had a tendency to be an "exploding doormat" I was the long suffering martyr, I never complained and never asked for anything, and my first husband used that against me. I reached a breaking point and left. It's not a healthy dynamic. I don't think it would have mattered, he was very self absorbed and selfish, but I had to own that I contributed to the dysfunction. I hate asking for anything, so I didn't, but that wasn't good for either of us. Needless to say I never got flowers.

In my second marriage I was determined not to do that. I still struggle with it, but communication is much better. I had to learn a different way to be. My husband doesn't want me to suffer in silence. Like anyone else, he doesn't like to be told he did something wrong, sometimes he is hurt or angry, so I try to keep that to a minimum. Sometimes you just have to let small things go. But you absolutely must communicate if he is hurting you in some way, don't wait until you explode. Be polite and respectful, but don't minimize the hurt.

If you want something to be different, like getting flowers, it would be fine to say so. You may think you are being very clear, but my experience with men is that you really can't be clear enough, most men communicate in a very straight forward way. It may just be something that is hard for him. Just say that you would love to get flowers because it would make you feel loved and wanted. If he does get you flowers, be very grateful and reciprocate in some way that makes him feel loved and wanted, a special meal, a back rub or.....

If your husband feels loved and appreciated, he is much more likely to do the things that makes you loved and appreciated.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Cross your legs and withhold the marital dues , if that doesnt bring him to his senses then divorce the prick.

smiddy

• ammo
    ammo

its bad enough what he has'nt done for you -even though its pretty thoughtless.

What worries me is how giving he is to others, thus proving he has a generous streak to whomever he so decides is worth it. Or does he just take your enduring consistant love for granted.

You will end up sick, alot of women develop thyroid disorders in marriage they have lost their voice and you keeping it all bottled up inside sure ain't going to help your state of mind or body-speaking from experience.

You say you love him....... you may have to start loving yourself as well.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You love him. In that case, it's time for a different plan. Time for you to face the reality that what you are doing isn't working to change him, his feelings or behavior.

The only thing you can do is to change you, your attitude and behavior. With that in mind, it's time to stop expecting him to change--right now. If there is any small amount of love and committment in him towards you and the marriage, then there is hope. But how you are approaching this has to change.

I wasn't kidding about shaking the sugar tree. He is taking you and love for granted. He thinks you will keep going with the status quo.

It's time for you to feel better about you, your home, your health, your work, your child. It's time for you to love yourself enough to stand tall, hold your head high and tell yourself something like, "Okay, you love the guy even if he is being thoughtless and knowingly being hurtful you. That doesn't mean you have to take it lying down, gal."

Instead of desperately chasing his affection, let him know by your actions that since he insists on paying his attention to others, you're going to back off and concentrate on you, your child and your life for a while. Still do the routine things for him that you are doing, but stop with any romantic gestures or over thoughtfulness towards him. Continue being thoughtful to you, your son, other people.

Makeover your life, including you. Improve things. Show a new confidence. Show him that you have a life outside of him. Go an extra mile with your appearance: for YOU and your child, not for him, though he will notice. Think about it, he notices you look great, new hairstyle, nicer skin, etc. but you aren't paying extra attention to him anymore because you've lost that aura of desperation.

If you are confident, smiling, holding your head high and look like you care about yourself, you're going to turn a few heads. Hopefully that will happen any time you and he are out and about. Maybe his friends will notice and say something to him about the changes in you and remark about it. That you look great and you look happier than you have in a long time.

Don't sit around waiting for him to pay attention to you and your child. Go out. Do things. Take a class. Go out with your friends one night a week. Join a bowling league. Learn to be genuinely happy on your own. Be busy if he suggests you go with him to do this or that. "Oops, honey, that's my girls night out. Next time, maybe?"

Concentrate on your family and extended family. Only do the dutiful things for him and his. But do it with a good, but more neutral attitude. "Yep, I'll take the casserole over to your mom's on my way to my ball room dancing class. I won't be able to stay, but I can drop it off. You understand."

This strategy will increasingly make you feel good about you and your life. It will be good for your child. If it doesn't change his behavior, then it doesn't. It's the best chance you've got though. And meanwhile, it's going to help YOU. Since he isn't going to help you, you need to help you.

Shake that sugar tree, girl. Confidence and self respect can be very alluring, even sexy. Do it most of all for you and your child though. Hopefully the side affect will be that he gets his head out of own selfishness and turns his attention back where it belongs.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Kari, I can relate to so many things you said. I was married for 20 years to a man that devoted almost every waking minute to the congregation. I was invisible. He really did not have time for a job because he was always preparing a talk, making shepherding calls, fixing some sisters car or painting someones house for free. He only became more and more unbalanced. On our 20th anniversary he was up on stage giving the Memorial talk. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I filed for divorce that week and have never looked back. Since you still love him, all is not lost. I say put your foot down and start being heard.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Shake that tree before you file for divorce though. Pull out all of the stops, dahling: (Candy cigarette of course.)

http://achallengingsew.typepad.com/.a/6a0168eb9246c2970c017ee92eef1e970d-320wi

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Be happy and radiant. Have a love affair with your life! It's contagious.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Honey, I'm having the girls over for lunch today:

(Candy cigarettes of course, but real wine.)(Edit, wait, that's whiskey.)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Play this (even if you hate country music, pretend you love this) and sing along with gusto, when your husband is within earshot. After that, sing the chorus here and there when he's around. The beat of this song alone is very empowering. Be EMPOWERED. Take your power back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HVP01goE4

• ingimar
    ingimar

You should not love him more than he loves you and by his actions, he doesn't love you.

When my husband ateptempted to return to active JWism, I freaked. I let him know that I was devastated by his decision to destroy our relationship and our marriage. I told him that our marriage and him were the most important things in my life but if our marriage nor myself were not going to be his number one priority then somehow I would somehow pull myself away emotionally and find something else to make a priority. He kept saying that our marriage was important and he did love me. Iasked him what was more important me ot his religion. For a few days, he would only say that his religion was important too him too. I told him that was the wrong answer. I did start to withdraw, I would spend as much time as possible away from him and not tell him where I was. When I was home, I stayed away from him. We would sit and eat dinner in silence until one night when I blew up at the table and left in tears. He came to me, held me in his arms, and told me that he would not attend meetings for a while and that he I was the most important thing in his life. That was about a year ago and everything has been wonderful. There are times when I wonder what he is thinking about it all but I am afraid to bring up anything JW. I think that my husband knew that I was serious and that he was blowing a very good thing. Tell your husband yoir course of action and stick to it. You both are setting a terrible example of marriage for ypur child.

I never allowed any JW literature to be laying around the house. I would either throw it in the recycling bin or if I was being nice, I would put it in his underwear drawer. He would never have considered leaving it in the bathroom because he knew what use I would have found for it! I would have enjoyed that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit