Jason Cobb's new podcast explaining Menlo Park scandal

by Rufus T. Firefly 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Rattigan350
  • Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Thanks for link. I was wondering what was happening. I wonder when he will realize what he really is up against.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

All of this is old news rehashed for the third time.

Back in 2011 and 2012 I posted a whole series of articles, provided PDFs of all of the court documents, and published Jason's uncut testimony about what happened in Menlo Park.

Jason Cobb, his father Jon Sr., and others close to the case wouldn't give me the time of day. All of the "new" documentation that is coming out now is just revisions and reworks of what happened the first time around. While I supported the Menlo Park elders who found themselves in the Watchtower's crosshairs and were dealt with harshly and unfairly for trying to protect their congregation's interests - and I still think even now that they are on the right side of this argument - their constant desire to avoid any contact with "apostates" or other "worldly people" has weakened their support and credibility. Jason and Jon Cobb Sr. were dealt with in the most heinous of ways and have suffered dearly for taking the stand that they did, but they have treated those who have reached out to help them as if we were all rabid dogs. You only get bitten so many times before you say enough is enough.

The sad truth is that they had a majority of the members of their congregation behind them when this scandal began. Although I do not have proof that they have lost all local support among the Menlo Park Congregation, I could tell that attitudes among the flock were changing at the end of my involvement in the case. Anonymous callers would tell me, "We just want this to end. Our congregation just wants to concentrate on Jehovah's work and getting along. We know that the Watchtower has made up its mind and will do what they want. They just have too much money and too much power. Brothers Jason and Jon Sr. need to just give it up and either decide to leave the congregation and get on with their lives, or just allow us to do the same."

"John Steele" - the pseudonym for someone much closer to the case than he will admit - is likely the source of all the new documents and may in fact be the webmaster and writer for most of them. I really doubt that all these "Leaks" websites just popped up out of the blue only to then focus primarily on the Menlo Park case. Yeah, the Conti case gets a little notice from them, but really all of these "wiki-leaks" wannabe sites all have the same attitudes, writing styles and focus and the real intent is to promote the Menlo Park story.

It's really too bad that these elders - who again, in my opinion, were on the right side of the argument - did not foster the support they already had, not to mentiion all that was building up for them - but rather rejected all of our efforts to assist them and help them tell their story. The local press was very interested in the case early on, but found both sides totally uncooperative, so eventually we all decided to say F#%* it - if they're going to be assholes let 'em lose.

I spoke with several local reporters and writers for San Francisco and Oakland newspapers about the Menlo Park case. Via my contacts I let the plaintiffs know that I was trying to open up some media resources for them inlcuding TV. They never even responded to me and my contacts let me know early on that they would never allow me to interview them or research the case from their point of view. Not an email. Not a phone call. Nothing.

Go look at all the articles I wrote on Ex-JW.com about their case - and even my comments on many threads here on JWN on their behalf. Not one of the Cobbs has ever called me, written me, emailed me, or invited me to tea. Yeah, their spokesman "John Steele" has tossed me a few crumbs and I even spoke to him on the phone once (he called me but would not answer my calls to him), but none of them have ever had the balls to sit down and actually meet with me or any major media investigator to tell their story. Once when I was in the area (after my brief phone call with John Steele), I arranged a private hotel room in Santa Clara where we could meet privately and securely some distance from Menlo Park. No, they wanted me to come to a busy, hot, and crowded Starbucks within minutes of Menlo Park where we could barely converse over the traffic noise, would be sitting in the hot sun and pestered by fruit flies and crows.

I was there on time and ready. None of them showed up. I waited for two hours hoping they would show up eventually. No cell phone call - and they had my number. All I had no number for them because Steele called me from a throw away cell phone. After that, not a single email. No apology. No nothing.

And yet I still think they are or were on the right side of this issue.

Quoting Marlon Brando (revised), "They coulda been contenders..."

JV

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

So JV did you find out any more about any other cong. Going through the same thing?

Do you know what the status is of the court case?

Now that he is an apostate himself maybe he'll accept some help.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Does anyone know if the Cobbs indicated to anyone what they planned to do with the KH, in the event they had won in court?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit