Health Advise Needed.

by RottenRiley 34 Replies latest jw friends

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

If your sister and brother died of cancer and now your body is starting to show all the effects of the disease, would you want to know even if it might mean a death-sentence?

My Dad, Sister, Brother and now Mom will die from this ugly disease, all of them had aggressive forms of stomach cancer, my Mother's battliing it has me putting my health on the back burner because I am very obstinate and hate doctors, why should I go see a doctor if the last four people I loved all died of Cancer once they got their Dx?

• sir82
    sir82

Seems like early detection might lead to a different outcome.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Get checked and get your head out of the sand. The sooner cancer is detected the better your outcome. Life is too short don't make yours shorter. If it was a disease that they can't do anything for it would be a personal choice I'd say.

FS

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm so sorry to hear this! I can see how it would make you feel that way. The diagnosis isn't what kills, it's the cancer. I guess everyone is different. I think personally I'd want to know, and I'd want to be aggressive about getting treatment.

How awful that your entire family has suffered from cancer -- you must feel upset and angry and very sad. I can hardly imagine how awful it must be.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

My dad died of stomach cancer, so I went to get tested to see if had the bacteria in my stomach which MAY play a part in it - helicobacter pylori. In the UK you can even buy the kit to test yourself now - £10.

If you've got the bacteria, I'm sure that it only takes a course of antibiotics for a week to eliminate them.

So don't wait and worry - visit a pharmacy - AT LEAST!

Best wishes for you.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Thank you, I am frustrated because I don't have time to be sick, others are counting on me being well so I have kept my symtpoms hidden from everyone. I am blessed to have a kind and loving community here on JWN, my horrible fear of Death is not what it use to be as a child, I mentioned how in 1971-1975 I use to hide in a closet crying all my friends were going to die, I had a terrible fixation on death that finally backed off around fourteen years old, the School District had to bring in a pscyhologist to help me fight the fear of death.

I have the genetics for the nasty cancer, my grandpa never made it past 56 years old because he had died of liver failure. Grandma had the big P-cancer, so I figured it's just par for the course in our silly world, one person having to battle cancer is not enough, I will check it out and see, my brother was so convinced he was going to beat it after he got his DX, he was gone in seven months. My younger sister got dx at thirty-three and she was gone less than a year. I wonder if the Environment and stressors are the reason why many are prone to C word? Thank you again for your kindness.

• adamah
    adamah

Also, it might NOT be stomach cancer, but stress, an ulcer, etc i.e. something easily treatable...

I'd vote for getting it checked out, as not getting it diagnosed is burying your head in the sand, and it's better to know what you're dealing with, either way (the worst is NOT knowing the truth, which every ex-JW should understand).

Closest shape to a foot giving you a swift kick in the butt to get it checked out:

Get off the and to make appointment now:

Good luck!

Adam

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Whatever your version of a nice "get your ass to a f**king doctor" is, PLEASE just imagine that I wrote that.

There is not much to say here. Cancer doesn't have any "symptoms" per se. It depends on the type of cancer, location, aggressivness, the person, and time it is caught. Some cancers (like colon) are not heredity BUT people of a certain group/family/geography/community can all get similar types of cancer based off lifestyle simularities or common environmental exposures.

I'm not sure of what you're wanting here. We can't give health advise... and if we did, do you really want important medical decisions to be left up to a message board of unknown people with vague expressions of concern and hope? If that is how much your health is worth, then stay at home, otherwise, I (logically) stick with my first line of this comment.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Please do something to give yourself peace of mind. A doctor's examination will at least clarify your situation - one way or another, and then you can focus your mind on what you have to do from day to day.

I pray you get an examination and that it brings you welcome news.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I once watched a mountain man (back in my mountains) get health advice from his pharmacist. Sometimes when he bent down, his knee would pop out of its socket. He hated going to doctors, so he shouted back and forth to the pharmacist to figure out what his options were. Not exactly patient confidentiality. I thought, "Go to the doctor already!"

A silly neighbour of mine found a little lump on her breast and went to have a biopsy done. The anxiety over the next week as she waited for her results, nearly killed her. She told me she found a solution; don't get screened any more. This way, cancer can sneak up and take her unawares.

A good friend of mine lost his grandfather, father, and brothers to heart attacks. Congenital high blood pressure is the killer. He got early diagnosis and all through his prime he has taken powerful blood-pressure medication. He's still here, a grandfather and the best husband I know. He knows he is living on borrowed time, but he makes sure he is living every moment of it!

We are not medical people. Go to a doctor already. Go to a good, gentle, patient doctor with a listening ear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit