JW's at my inlaw's door yesterday

by Hillary 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hillary
    Hillary

Here in the northeast it is freezing. A father and son team brought over the outside garbage cans from the end of the driveway and offered to salt my inlaws' driveway. My f-I-l was very impressed and said they're very nice people. They left the wt and awake. My husband told him yes they are nice people but they're misguided. My inlaw's will never convert but can these type of tactics win other people over?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Hillary

Do you remember a song called " Somebody's Knockin' " By Terry Gibb ?

Well I'd like to give you my renditon of that song

Somebody's knockin', Should I let 'em in

Lord it's the Devil, would you look at him

I heard about 'em, but I never dreamed

He'd have a suit on and a cheap magazine

• Gayle
    Gayle

That was nice,, but that does not mean you owe the rest of your life to their religion,,which is their primary ulterior motive.

• GonzoX
    GonzoX

They are trying to buy your inlaws with fake kindness. Your inlaws need to be warned. This is a form of 'Love Bombing."

JWs do not have a genuine care for your inlaws. One way to test it is next time offer them some literature from your church. See if they accept it.

• tiki
    tiki

random acts of kindness are not limited to specific religious groups...good-hearted people do good deeds to benefit their fellowman where able and realistic. however...in this instance cynicism is justified.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Posted:

They are trying to buy your (whoever) with fake kindness.

The story of Christianity

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

They are taking their cues from the LDS who have been doing that kind of thing for years. OR they are just nice guys who knew there were older people living at the home.

When I was a JW I tried to get a few friends together to help an older couple who needed stuff done to their yard (for safety, it was overgrown). They took our mags for years very politely. I was reprimanded by the MS who was around when I asked for volunteers. We had better things to do, dontcha know!

• blondie
    blondie

The real test is how aware they are of those in need in their own congregation, especially older jws.

• Mum
    Mum

What Blondie said. When I read this, the question came to my mind of whether those "nice" JW's would have done such a kind deed for one of their own. I was reprimanded more than once by my then elder husband for helping people when it was not for an ulterior motive.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

I think many of the RNF are sincere. Sure they have hopes that it will soften you up for conversion but they think they are doing the right thing.

Most of the non-sincere ones would bother to help anyone inside or outside of the religion.

I regularly shoveled out the older people at my hall and also took care of one really old sister's lawn.

She insisted on paying me so I charged $5 for about 2 hours work. One time I tried to go up to $10 and she complained till I went back to $5 :-)

I don't think that type of thing really works to convert anyone. What it does do is give the doer a sense of pride that they are helping with the JWs good reputation.

I think being distressed over something is the primary reason for converting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit