A JW sitcom?

by Island Man 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

Has anyone ever thought of creating a JW sitcom? I mean, there's enough humor and drama in JW culture to keep audiences entertained for multiple seasons. We have judicial committees, C.O. visits, door-to-door, shunning, gossipping elderettes, cognitive dissonance, apostate encounters, wacky teachings that are constantly changing and flip-flopping, organizational hypocrisy, Stephen Lett.

I can see such a sitcom working with 7 parallel and linked stories unfolding in each episode- Charaters at bethel including the GB and their closed door meetings, a body of elders in a local congregation, a family of witnesses that runs the gamut from zealous pioneer to apostate.

It would be very entertaining and would educate the public about the ills of JW culture. Could this be a good project for someone like the producer of "truth be told"?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I think it's a great idea!!!

Coffee

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The general public simply would not get it. We XJW's would simply love it !!!

Some things are so silly that they are beyond Parody, the JW's are a case inpoint.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I can just hear the intro music for start of the show - a melodically twisted version (horror style) of "We're Jehovah's Witnesses".

• Island Man
    Island Man

On second thought, it would have to be a dark comedy, something that Showtime or HBO would air - issues like pedophilia, the kinds of graphic details that fornicators are asked to divulge in a JC, are too serious and too adult in nature to be presented as just regular comedy on the regular networks.

Phizzy I understand your concern about the non-JW public not understanding. But I beg to differ. I think it can be presented in a way that non-JWs will understand. Also, some of the issues like shunning will resonate with non-JWs like Mormons, Scientologists, etc. If it's presented skillfully it can work.

• JWOP
    JWOP

I'd watch it! LOL!

• L3G
    L3G

I began laughing imediately upon reading this thread's title b/c I thought, "Well, the congregations I was in were all pretty much sitcoms!" No need to come up with anything.

Then, after reading Island Man's comments, I realized that it often is quite tragic. It reminds me of one brother who regularly used to say to me that his personal life was a soap opera, largely b/c his fellow elders, due to their incompetence, had screwed up his life so badly.

I also understand that GB member Geoffrey Jackson had some ideas about creating some kind of humor re: self-admitted funny gaffs within the Org during one of those in-house Bethel entertainment nights, but got into trouble b/c of something similar he tried to do at a Gilead graduation. I doubt if he's tried to pursue his comic "laugh at yourself" intentions after that setback.

• j dubb
    j dubb

might work as a web series-not actual TV.

7 storylines are FAR too many for the average viewer to keep track of and would be impossible in a TV sitcom format. Sitcoms have an A and a B story-there is only 22 minutes for everything-opening/closing credits included. Thats only about 10 minutes per storyline.

I would totally see a reality TV show; you can get one greenlit on just about any subject matter, and I'll bet you can find witnesses to be in it. It would quickly fall apart as TPTB put the hammer down on participants in the show.

• Honesty
    Honesty

A JW cartoon would be more realistic.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've thought about it often over the years. The aspects of my life that most annoy me could bring in millions if viewed through humor. I wish I had taken creative writing courses. The religion aspect would have to be delicate. It just seems that JW is rich with colorful characters. There are class conflicts. I would want it to be sophisticated. Making JW bufoons will not work.

I'm going to take courses to write some nonfiction articles. My problem is that if it is not Shakepeare or Proust, why bother? I come across books that are insulting to anyone's intelligence. There was a very poorly written children's book and John and Yoko that I could have written better at my worst. My sister was elected a precinct captain and showed me a book they made her purchase. It was only a listing of federal agencies. A DC telephone directory basically. There were beautiful black and white glossy photos that accompanied the directory listings. The photos rarely had anything to do with the listings. I rocked back and forth in shock. I could have written it in sixth grade. My sister said I hold myself back. I was so thankful I did not know the income stream.

I wonder if people would purchase an apostate JW book for their children. All in the Family comes to my mind. The first seasons were not that good. I never saw any TV character dress or talk exactly like my father. The show was better when they revealed that Archie admired Mike. He had wanted to go to college but had to support his family.

Others here probably know more than I do. Sometimes you can get paid for developing an idea. I don't know how much you have to write to pitch the idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit