do you think there are 100,000 ex jw or interested to sign?

by carla 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• carla
    carla

Do you think there would be 100,000 people willing to sign a petition for the White House to look into the jw pedophile issue in 30 days?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/how-why/step-step-guide

"After you publish the petition, it’s up to you to promote it and get others to sign. You’ll get an automatic email once your petition is published that you can forward to get started. Remember you have just 30 days to get 100,000 signatures in order to get a response from the White House. And it’s up to you to get to 150 signatures in order for your petition to be publicly searchable on the We the People tool on WhiteHouse.gov."

(US citizens)

• Comatose
    Comatose

It would be worth a try I'd think except for if the names who sign are searchable... Many would have a hard time signing if it meant that family would label them the anti-Christ.

• carla
    carla

Agreed, it would be great if we could have a trade with another group wouldn't it? jw apostates or even current jw's who also agree could sign another relgions petition in exchange for their members signing ours. Probably not realistic though.

• billythekid46
    billythekid46

It seem a little to narrow to say JW pedophile petition or are you suggesting that JW’s are the only people that have dysfunctional people. Have you heard how in recent events the Pope ended up defrocking 400 priests for pedophilia I believe this problem is a Social issue. Should organizations or religions be accountable for what their members do or think in private? If they do, then you might as well include the entire human race. Let the man without sin cast the first stone. Does this mean perverts shouldn’t be prosecuted of course not? They should have the book thrown at them, but that book should be the law book and that has nothing to do with religion. Then you would be at peace with give César that belongs to Cesar, but give God that belongs to God.

I do however believe a petition should be made against the distinction between church and state. I do not believe that governments that embrace the LGBT life style shouldn’t have anything to do in Gods house. Federal, State, City, County even Churches should remove under God, In God we Trust, anything related to God. After all for true Christians isn’t LGBT an unclean act and susceptible to pedophilia? So then how many millions of people do you want religion to be responsible for or better yet how many hundred religions should go down for it or is it the just one. View of an Ex-Witness

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

OK....what is "LGBT"? The only thing I can think of is the old book ; "Let God Be True"........

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think it means Lesbian, Gay, bisexual, trans gender.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I checked this earlier this week. It is a waste of time. The administration promises a vague response. They will not take concrete action. First Amendment. Maybe they will tell you it is primarily a matter of state governance. I've written letters to public officials for a long time concerning a variety of matters. We are too small a group. The fact that former Jehovah's Witnesses who are already very vocal against the Witnesses will discount the importance. With software now, it is even worse than the vague letter. If I complained about a war, I would get a generic letter concerning the war. Now if I write about a war, the software sends me a letter about an agricultural bill.

This is not truly a federal matter. There may be some funding. Sexual abuse may be a federal crime on federal land or in the military. Primarily, though, it is a state crime. The states and colonies existed long before the U.S. Constitution was ratified. I never realized this until law school. The White House does not have much jurisdiction in the matter. State petitions might make more sense.

If you are going to do it, it would be wiser to be against all sex abuse rather than only Witness sex abuse. It would be a clear violation of the First Amendment for any state to ban the two-witness rule. The only way I see the two-witness rule being abolished if there is internal protest from loyal, die hard Jehovah's Witnesses. You have to distiinguish what the WBTS does from what individuals do. Conti's facts are atypical. Rick Simons said so.

I honestly feel that discussing the abuse rules of the WTBTS with neighbors and co-workers accomplishes far more than a White House petition. Obama has limited time. He will not squander his capital on this matter. Let us be honest. We are upset b/c we were Witnesses once. Most Americans can not give a damn. Have you seen Obama rebuke the pope? Besides, people may not be aware of this but Obama is a big fan of religion. My specialty has been Cons'l problems when government funds faith-based programs. Bush established an official White House Office and established executive, discretionary funding for such programs. When Obama was elected, the progressive bar was so happy. Certainly, a constl law prof would understand the serious violations. Obama extended the programs. He is crazier about these programs than George Bush was.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi carla, I would sign a petition if it was worded to request action by the President and would not single out just the WTBTS, but all non-profit organizations that put children at risk from adult predators. A well-worded petition would require the President to actively encourage Congress to pass a bill(s) and would have both criminal penalties for corporate officers (such as the GB) and for a non-profit organizations to lose their non-profit status so that donors could not claim tax deductions when an organization does not implement effective child protection policies that include reporting child molestation and abuse and rapes to the police before contacting an organization's legal department.

I tried to do something similiar in the thread URGENT: Please Sign White House Petition to "Protect Americans from Dangerous Cults: Modify USC Title 26 § 501 Tax Exemption Requirements" and It's Back! . . . Round 2 to ask the President to actively encourage Congress to pass a bill that would require non-profit organizations to stop coersive practices such as shunning. Based on my experience I received several negative comments from JWN members with very few positive suggestions on ways to mount a successful petition drive. Less than 125 people signed either petition even after I created a FB page and sent emails to organizations with members who might support such a petition.

For a petition to be successful IMHO a lot of ground work needs to be done to create a website and make contact with organizations that have members who will be sympathetic to the petition and will write their representatives before creating a petition. There are a lot of organizations which would be sympathetic to a petition if it is written to include organizations besides the WTBTS.

Best of wishes to you and PM me if you want more help.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A similar petition was tried a Month ago..All they needed was 5,000 signatures..

To date they have 2009..

Based on that response,it would take over 4 years to get 100,000 signatures..

.................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The legislation people propose would be held unconst'l by any federal judge. The corporate fines negate the purpose of corporations law. A legislature is not going to overturn centuries of existing law. How would you stop individuals who are pedophiles? The WT does not commit pedophilia. It is hard to write legislation. Members of Congress come up with an idea and consult a specialized group of lawyers to actually write the legislation. It is a special skill.

It would be bad to start a petition without support. So far I've seen poorly worded petitions that show an ignorance of federal vs. state powers. Rather than waste time in a petition drive, it might make sense to do fundraisers or small scale simpler actions. It looks bad when you focus on the Witnesses alone. Writing letters to a local newspaper is a good way to go.

I feel that there is no large pedophile problem unique to the Witnesses. A church is allowed to have theology and make rules. One concrete action would be to get in touch with Roman Catholic dissenters and also members of a religion that is close to the Witnesses in belief and structure. I feel that legislators are taking action. There are always those op-ed pieces in the New York Times. They want opinions that the Times does not provide.

Petitions do not accomplish much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit