Creationism or evolution, or do I believe in god

by moley 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moley
    moley

In the past year or so I've been completely evaluating whether I believe in god. I studied marine biology at uni for the last 3 years and it completely change my view on evolution. Even when I was in I believed in evolution to a certain extent (ie the flood made no sense, the earth being 60000 odd years old etc etc) and this has made me question the existence of god. Believer, atheist, agnostic, I think I am still a believer but in A god, not the ones people are killing each other over. Why? I believe that something must have started it, as I believe (and I stress this is my own opinion) that life cannot come from lifeless matter. So yes in a sense I believe in A god but I completely reject religion.

ps I think creationists are loons

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

So what will you do once abiogenesis is proven?

• Terry
    Terry

One day I had an epiphany.

It won't change my life one tiny bit if I'm perfectly ignorant about certain things!

For example, how is the life of a Trinitarian better than a non-Trinitarian?

If I'm wrong or right about creationism or evolution--how is my life changed for better or worse?

I'm confused about certain mathematical propositions which are probably quite literally correct--but--so what?

If I can't explain the internal combustion engine in my car--what difference does it make?

We WASTE SO MUCH TIME arguing about things which impact us not at all!

Why make such a big deal out of it? Just so we can assert we are right and others or stupid?

I'm serious.

How many Jehovah's Witnesses who believe 1914 is a perfectly correct doctrine are ABLE TO EXPLAIN IT?

I'd say almost none! Yet, they are happy as a clam because they figure somebody can do it and they trust that somebody!

Here is Terry's Rule of Life #1 DON'T CHOOSE SIDES OR PICK FIGHTS unnecessarily. You might be dead wrong.

Time is precious. Time=Your Life

Wasting time is wasting life.

Let's grow up and use our life productively.

Forcing arguments just to gloat, be right or prove a point is bad manners at the least and incredible hubris at the worst.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Bravo Terry

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

I agree with Terry.

I too just recently had a similiar epiphany. We were so indocrinated to believe we had all the answers, we think the world must be completely understood.

The JW religion creates an artificial black and white version of an extremely gray world.

When I first started seeing things, I had a lot of stress about not having an explanation now. Then finally it hit me. Neither does anybody else!

The GB doesn't have all the answers and nether do I. The difference is - I don't pretend I do.

• prologos
    prologos

captainobvious.-- It obviously will take a living conscious person to prove or replicate a b-biogenesis* with much effort and energy , work.

what makes you thing the a-biogenesis can be different, with a different early setup?

* the new life experiment has to be replicated by others to prove it again too.

• cofty
    cofty

I think Terry has a point but I have also seen that argument used to excuse mental laziness and willful ignorance.

Abiogenesis will be solved sooner or later. Some of the recent progress is fascinating.

• ammo
    ammo

Its good your doing marine biology.... go with that, you can make a huge difference to our world with that kind of education.

Its true what Terry says, don't waste your life trying to work this stuff out, no one will ever be able to and in all honesty it just gets people all pissed off and make's the folks on jwn look like crazed loons. I've referred people here and they have told me they would rather seek help and guidance somewhere else because of the attacks- for want of a better word, that saddens me because this place can really help you deprogramme, but not everyones got the stomach for putdowns and mocking when first leaving I guess, fair enough.

I spent my year and a bit defending when I left, I know we all need that time initially to come to some kind of balance within us, but now I truly have come to the conclusion that its all way to big for me or any other bugger to sort, There's too much of the unexplained, and just because we can't put it all in a neat little scientific box with a ribbon on it do does not dismiss it .. to me.

I do like coming here from time to time but I get so dis-heartened seeing the same ol merry go round of individuals trying to prove their point over and over again.....

We can only change now and our future.... thats enough

There's bigger fish to fry baby!!

• designs
    designs

Religion can shape politics and a country's Laws. Be passive at your own risk.

For the first time I was labeled a "militant atheist" by a Evangelical...how coool is that :D

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

So you believe in a non-personal, non-revelatory, non-intervening God, and presumably do not believe the Bible is the 'inspired word of God', but you still believe in 'a God'? Is that right?

In that case you would be a deist. Or you can just say you're agnostic.

Now get on with your life and don't worry any more about what label or name you put on your belief that 'God' is the reason there is something and not nothing, because it doesn't matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit