Planting seeds of thought with my JW doctor

by Faithful Witness 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I have hesitated to post anything about my recent encounters with our JW doctor, because I don't really want anyone to insult her or me, for continuing to rely on her for medical care.

Our family doctor is a Jehovah's Witness. We were referred to her by our former BS conductor. It is a small family practice, not perfect, but she refers us when needed. It is nice to be part of a small family doctor's clientele. The staff knows us by name, and they know all our history, etc. We really like her, personally.

With both the new year and some recent health concerns, we have been seeing our doctor frequently in the past 5 weeks. I am taking some opportunities to plant seeds of thought with her.

I took my daughter for her "well child" exam (checkup) last week. When she started asking us about our homeschooling, and what my (2nd grade) daughter's best subject was, my daugher replied with "reading." My (kindergarten) son piped in and said, "Mine is math." To this, the doctor replied, "Well, that's really about all you need in life... if you can read and do math, you can succeed in most areas of life." I agreed and added, "We like to do research projects. It is fun to look through books, and learn about history. We have found a few instances, where we read one thing, and then find different facts from another source. We like to use our analytical skills to 'dig' for the real truth." She agreed that this was important.

Today, we went to her for an issue my husband is having. Out of the blue, she made a comment about Obama. I forget now what her opening line was, but I added my own comment about him (not a fan), and how he claims he can just "go around congress if he needs to." I made the off-hand remark, "You really need to watch out for people who try to control every aspect of your life."

When we first started seeing her, 5 years ago, we did tell her we were studying with the JW's. I'm sure she remembers that, although we have never discussed it since. There are always Awake and Watchtower magazines in the magazine rack, but her husband (office manager) frequently works the desk (in view of the magazines). I know for a fact that she has a lot of JW patients. She does not overbook appointments, and very rarely runs behind schedule (so not a lot of waiting room time).

Today, I asked her about her family. It turns out she is still in contact with both her kids and her grandkids (JW's? Her granddaughter has gone away to COLLEGE!!). She shared how they make a point to all get together once per month. I liked that idea, and am going to try to do that with my parents... see if I can get onto their calendar. I thanked her for the advice on keeping connected with famiy, "the most important people in the world."

I know she does not come to work as a "JW." She deals with patients of all religions. She is helping my husband document one of his VA claims right now, and she was not hesitant at all about assisting him. She asks him how to word the letter he needs.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'm not really looking for criticism about JW doctors. She is a kindly doctor, and has not yet harmed us. ;) She takes Wednesdays off, but has a PA that fills in for her. She gives referrals, and it is nice to have someone who actually knows us, coordinating our care.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I subscribe to the same seed planting using political parrelels and and other ways to do so.

She sounds a reasonable, maybe fringe JW. Not allowing the WT dictates to dictate her life.

It's unfortunate she has such an emotional bond with the WTBTS. Maybe it's just the familiarity and some family members for her?

Anyway, it is hard to find a DR who is personally concerned about you, personally knows you and your family, and is there for you. I'd stick with her too. Plus I'd continue to use the subtle parelell seeds as you are doing.

• steve2
    steve2

Look, I'll be frank: You have a strictly professional relationship with your doctor. She has never raised the issue of your connection to JWs. She has maintain appropriate boundaries. Her religious beliefs are strictly her business - not yours - unless anything she advises on would compromise your medical care.

You probably would be the first to complain if you detected she was trying to fish around about your religious status and whether or not you are still affiliated with the JWs. And if you detected she was pushing the JW message, you'd probably be posting her very critical of her ethics.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Point taken, Steve. It's not my business.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Faithful Witness, Although it may not be any of your business to help your doctor to see TTATT, I feel that the way that you have handled yourself so far is very good. I do not feel that it is inappropriate to express your thoughts about the importance of family to you, the importance of doing independent research, and critically thinking for oneself to JWs. There is a big difference between helping someone to critically think for oneself and pushing ones religious beliefs on another person. Go for it with your doctor!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Violia
    Violia

If they ever suggest the new system is the cure for everything, run don't walk to a "worldly " doctor. I am not making this up. Also as in everything else, when you hire jws or work for them it is hard to say you are not happy with their services. Frequently you not only don't get the service you paid for and you lose a friend and may end up talking to an JC. Also you may think it is all confidential, but in the past jws medical folks have compromised others privacy . I would never see a doc who was fanatical about any religion. Basically, if I walk into their office and see Bibles or other religious objects all over the place I - RUN out the door. I would suggest you consider this too. The office staff at some docs office will spread "news" of your current medical conditions around. I know you are thinking " NO F"ing way ", but Yes it has happened and continues. they are just sneakier now.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I found it quite interesting/confusing when my father began to see an oncologist, his first Dr had WT literature on all the tables around, but he would frequently tell my father he needed a boost of some blood. He ordered more blood given than any other Dr. It was weird to me.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would tell her off about the Obama comment. Is she there to practice medicine or provide politcal commentary? Also, I could never trust someone who with education can be a Witness. The display of WT and Awakes is inappropriate. She is a timebomb.

When I was very ill, I found tht medicine is as much art as science. She is a medical doctor. Science is important. Science and the Witnesses do not mix. I suppose I won't tolerate any JWs in a professional capacity. It boggles my mind how any one can do law and the Witnesses.

It is your doctor and your choice.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

With all my consumer side of Dr experience these past few years I learned a very important lesson. There is no such thing as a perfect DR. You can always get a second opinion and should if you ever even get a gut feeling the Dr is wrong on something. And to have a family Dr who personally knows you, knows the medical history and is there for you, is almost always worth sticking with.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Forget the doctor I like that you had a "BS conductor". Sounds quite apropriate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit