Just Read 1.5 Hours worth of Conti Case Files

by lambsbottom 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Read 1.5 hours worth on Conti case files (examination & cross-examination). Here is my take (and I consider myself a pretty logical person able to set aside emotion...I've never been abuse but know people who have been).

The jury was completely right in awarding the judgement to Conti. As far as the award amount, I don't care to comment on. However, this is what happens when there is a centralized governing body that makes all the decisions. This is why a non-centralized approach is much better. The GB is making decisions on things that they are not witnesses to (confession, individual circumstances). They are making judgements from their tower in NY about something that really should be decided upon by a vote via the Elders in the local congreation.

Churches need to pick what they want, non-profit status granted by the government (which sure as hell holds them to a higher standard of expectations) or more of an autonomous congregational setting. These big organizations bask in the tax free status the GOVERNMENT grants them, and then whines when they are held to a high standard and code of ethics. I am all for maximum freedom of religion, the bill of rights and constitution. However, the WT shot themselves in the foot, and so did the local congregation.

After reading these files, I will never be an Elder because I am not going to leave myself open to civil suits just because I was a 'yes man' and took orders. Did these Elders get sued individually? If so, for how much?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I believe the elders were sued as individuals. The problem is that they most likely do not have "deep pockets."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done for reading that lot Lambsbottom ! When this case is finally settled will be the time for us to publicise it, it will get little Media attention if we don't.

There is a raft of other cases in the pipeline.The outcome of this one will decide how Lawyers run the new cases.

A Well Done ! to Candace Conti too, she has shown great courage and perseverence. The WT has simply shown its usual callous ,heartless disregard for the poor victim.

As it still does for those being abused in its midst right now, abuse it could do much to prevent, but chooses not to.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

LAMBSBOTTOM - "the WT shot themselves in the foot, and so did the local congregation".

Exactly!! And the Org dictates that if local elders hear of an accusation of pedophilia, they must contact their Branch Office first, not the police!! That is where elders are putting their heads on the chopping block, because the Branch hierarchy will tell them how to do "damage limitation" - for the Org, not for the victim!

The elders MUST comply with those verbal (not written!) instructions, otherwise they themselves would be severely dealt with. (removal/disfellowshipped)

All it would take to exonerate the Org in future, is for them to tell every BoE that any reports they receive of ANY criminal offence, MUST be reported to the "superior authorities" immediately, and not the Branch!

Problem solved.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Phizzy

abuse it could do much to prevent, but chooses not to.

This is the thing that I don't get.

Is it really just their reputation and pockets that would suffer? Or would the proper treatment of paedophiles and thus protection of victims actually work better for them?

In any case well done Lambsbottom......I couldn't read all that.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I explained it this way to my son...: you bring your children to the day care next to your best friend's house and he takes his children there too. He finds out that a paedophile works there...so he removes his children but chooses not to warn you...a few months later one of your own children is molested...How would you feel about your friend if you found out he knew but didn't warn you because he feared the consequences of exposing the pervert?

The congregation elders knew they had a pervert amongst them...they kept the matter confidential to protect the paedophile...until he molested a child or more...how can they live with that now?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A Complete Protection Programme that is active is what is needed. Small voluntary organizations that I belong to have these in place and working.

A person responsible for Protection is always present when young or vulnerable people are there, if a young or vulnerable person enters a place/room where you are, and no one else is present, you leave that place, even if you are halfway through a pee !

If these sort of Orgs. can do it effectively the W.T can.

They must be shamed in to doing it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

NVR2L8

...how can they live with that now?

This is where the delusion of Jehovah(TM) having allowed it coz he knows best and making it all better later. That works for them.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

Probably 25 years ago now, my father was an elder when in the congregation, a late teen Witness molested a young one of about 5. Her and her family attended the congregation.

The victim's family was pushed to keep it quiet and let God's organization handle it. My father ended up making an anonymous call to the police about the details. The police came around to investigate and the molestor killed himself before any arrests were made.

Not a pretty situation at all.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Your Father did the right thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit