Do JWs use the Baptizmal formula?

by Hortenzie 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Once upon a time, the Witnesses used it. I am now sixty and my mom was baptized with that formula. The change in the baptismal questions to organization is creepy and not scriptural. My mom was interested in becoming Anglican. She asked a priest. It surprised me that she did not have to be baptized again. Perhaps it is better now b/c they are clear about their beliefs and priorities.

I was baptized as an adult in an Anglican cathedral by a bishop that was most adored. My mom forbid JW baptism until we were in our thirties. Cousins were baptized at ten or eleven. Mom was adamant that it was a commitment. One that required maturity. My ten year old self felt mature. She grew up in the Witnesses at a time of actual persecution. Several family members did time in prison b/c of the Witnesses. I believe I was the only adult Christian getting baptized. The others were from other denominations who used the proper formula.

I love watching infant baptisms in church. The plump baby in its special outfit is held aloft. Small children get front seats by the baptistry. I notice most babies sleep through the proceedings. The god parents have never been in church before the Baptism day. The parish promises to support the baby in the vows. One priest said the godparents have to take the child out for ice cream and toys on the Baptism Day so it views it as a happy day.

I'm not good at descriptions. When I was young and there were int'l conventions, there would be massive Witness baptisms. We would stop by and visit. The total immersion scared me. The tones are so different. As with almost everything, I was exposed to Roman Catholic and Witness belief. My mind combined the scariest element of the two. It just seemed to me that the Witness baptizers kept their charges under the water a long time. Some fought back.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Leaving-Quietly, hit the nail on the head only true Christians, anointed ones get baptised into Christ's body. The rest of mankind are just Jonadabs according to Rutherford/Franz. So they don't really get baptised, in fact when they first made the changes in the early 1930's Jonadabs, which were now in the same class or one in the same as the great crowd were not allowed to get baptised and attend the memorial celebration. Of course they later needed to change this for people were probably not liking the idea, so this half ass baptism is now performed.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

They cite the following scripture in paragraph 15 of the Watchtower study article (Dec 2013) this week:

Matthew 28:19, 20

19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

(Baptized ones are protected by Jesus, according to the paragraph... so I guess you're gonna want to do that!)

... Leading up to encouragement to be zealous, and spend part of your family worship time working on field ministry, and some of your family worship time for preparing for the meetings. (I guess it's just assumed that another portion of the time would be for reading the bible... if there's time left over).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit