So what are you up to?

by Xanthippe 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Anyone else bored with religion versus atheism or is it just me?

So what are you up to?

I'm planning to go to Greece in May.

I'm thinking about planting rocket and beetroot in my garden this year because they are getting rather expensive to buy.

This week I want to make chocolate refridgerator cakes. Some for my daughter who is coming home from uni this weekend and some to take in to work to give away with free tea and coffee because it's National Libraries Day on Saturday.

I just finished reading The Humans by Matt Haig which was brilliant.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

What so nobody is doing anything but sitting at their pc going on and on about religion? Wow. Even Simon couldn't get people to post recipes on his meal ideas thread. Someone recently said they were into witchcraft, now that would be interesting. Are people afraid to talk about things like that because they think they will get beaten down? I hope not.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In the US, we're all hung-over from SuperBowl parties.

And..........it's a workday for many. Nothing like a hangover at work.

Doc

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Nice question: so what am I up to?

Every other day I have to sieve four liters of water kefir (if anybody ever wants some kefirgrains let me know, PM your postal address and I'll send you some in an envelope, b/c my kefirgrains are growing soooo extremely fast and I don't like the idea of throwing them away, so I dry 'em to share with other people).

Every day I also sieve milk kefir, but those grains don't grow that fast yet. Milk kefir is really delicious, I've just started two weeks ago but I'm planning on making mozzarella and yoghurt from it.

At the moment it's raining, but as soon as it's dry and sunny again I'm outside working on our mosquito net that I'm sewing myself to keep our porch free of bugs and bees.

I'm planning to visit my children and some friends in Holland in May. Haven't seen my daughter since last April and I miss her!

And talking about chocolate refridgerator cake... I need to bake some new bread today. I like to do that and it tastes a lot better than the bread from the supermarket.

While writing this posting, I sit on an armchair wih my laptop on my lap, and the cat is laying on my belly as she always does, completely stretched with her head against my shoulder... her favorite position, and she's snoring very hard as usual

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

yes a bit sleep deprived from staying up in London to watch the first half of the SuperBowl - I went to bed knowing Seattle would win (I was supporting them because my 18 year old son does) . I have been reading Bring out the Bodies by Alice Mantel - about Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. I have been watching Season 1 of Breaking Bad on DVD (a present from my son for Xmas). I watched France beat England on television on Saturday - great game - England was unlucky - I wasn't unhappy with the result cos I am an Aussie. I went to Chinatown on Friday night for Chinese New Year - great fun and had a wonderful meal. What about everyone else?

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

And I'm not afraid to talk about witchcraft, although I don't want to scare people away (like JW's with doubts about the WTS who end up on JWN). I wouldn't want people to point at JWN with the idea that it's full of apostates and witches...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yeah, I am kind of bored with that debate too. Some of the evolution posts have gotten me interested in that, I have been doing some reading online about current developments in the subject. They think that they have found one of the earlier examples of the brown to blue eye shift, they found some skeletal remains that suggest the change came only 7, 000 years ago, much more recently than they thought.

This week I hope to get a lot of projects done for my business, I have decided to do an antique market in March, so I have a lot of furniture to paint. My sewing machine quit, so I just bought an older Singer, a classic 404, on Ebay, very good dependable machine. So I have been making pillow a like crazy.

I am thinking of planting lettuce also. I live in a temperate climate, so I could grow that all year. I have a very small yard, but I am sure I can fit in another pot somewhere.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Frazz, thanks for the tip! I've already read so many books about Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, also about Elizabeth I, but I hadn't heard of this title yet. I understand it's part of a (planned) trilogy. I'm going to look for it in the English bookstore, sounds like a great read (according to Wikipedia).

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

DoC you have SuperBowl parties? I don't know anything about this? So the last SuperBowl was in 2010 is that right? Do you have a party even if your team loses?

How interesting Bruja, water kefir and milk kefir. Again something I know nothing about. I just googled it and it's to produce probiotics is it? I know about lactobacillus acidophillus in live yoghurt which increase the friendly flora in your intestines after taking antibiotics. Ah and you can use the culture to make your own youghurt and mozzarella? I have four cats by the way.

Glad you enjoyed your Chinese meal Frazzled. It's the year of the horse now isn't it. Yes I've heard good things about Bring out The Bodies.

Lisa Rose that's really interesting about the shift to blue eyes. How do they work that out from skeletal remains? Have they found DNA? My mother used to have an old Singer sewing machine with a treadle. It must be very satisfying bringing antique furniture back to life. I might try lettuce too this year. Never tried it before, quite fancy growing lollo rosso.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The SuperBowl is an annual event. The "World Series" of (US) football (as opposed to baseball).

A SuperBowl Party is typically hosted by someone with the largest TV. It starts no later than (but anytime before) game time, and lasts til the last person drops leaves (or at least til the end of the game). Typical "bar food" items will be served, ie., hot buffalo wings, nachos, grilled brats, snacks, etc with more cold beer than could possibly be consumed, supplemented with tequilla or vodka shots (this year).

Our SuperBowl Party transitioned to a Hot Tub Party pretty early this year due to the lopsided score, esp the guests who were not serious fans of either team. This lasted longer than a typical SuperBowl party, considering that some guests are still here for morning brunch (the self-employed, unemployed, retired, and those who were wise enough to take off work today). Strong black coffee; champagne mimosas (with orange juice); Bloody Marys. Mostly pastries, but we'll start the sausage and pancakes/waffles shortly. I think all or most of the extra bedrooms and the family room sofas were occupied last night as it would be very foolish to drink & drive on SuperBowl night as there were likely roadblock sobriety checkpoints set up on the roads in our area.

It appears that everyone survived. Time to fire up the griddle.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit