I went to church today.

by quellycatface 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My first time was to hear Cesar Chavez and meet him in person. He was on the West Coast and this was East Coast. I was very excited and afraid. Visions from the orange Paradise Lost book of priests feeding infants to an idol crossed my mind. It was comical. I had no idea how unique the place was. It was the 1960s. I was impressed that the priests were college graduates and wore jeans and sandals under their vestments. It was High Church bordering on Anglo-Catholic. There was a lot of kneeling, crossing, and standing. I was invited for Holy Communion. It took many years for me to go up b/c I was embarassed that I did not know the appropriate hand signals. I only had a back view.

There was a very upsetting incident a few months ago that ended up with my knocking on the Bishop's Door, demanding a meeting. His aide spoke to me for about 45 minutes. I was crying which was appropriate. Part of the drama was asking him if he had any idea what it was like for a JW co-ed to enter the front doors, let alone stay, and learn five or six Latin, Middle English terms for common items. He knew! I kept going on and on b/c I was upset. Do you think I was not afraid of Babylon the Great? Yet I stayed.

I did not do any research. The subway station was closed so I walked down a block and saw the signage for Chavez. It is creepy b/c this church kept me alive later in my life. It is the antiWitness place.

I wanted to go to church today. It is hard for me to wake up on a voluntary basis.

• finally awake
    finally awake

We went to church this morning. The local Presbyterian church allows the Boy SCouts to meet in the basement and they had a special "Scout Sunday" service today. It was the standard Protestant Midwestern small town service. Despite never having attended a Presbyterian service before, I knew most of the songs. It is a beautiful building, but the congregation is dwindling - the bulletin says last week only 25 attended the main service and only 4 attended Sunday school. There were only 3 members in the choir. The building could easily accomodate a much larger crowd.

• steve2
    steve2

It is likely that if JWs crossed your path within 60 minutes of your church service, they would detect a satanic aura over you. Not for nothing does the Bible warn, "get out of her my people". The nice people, refreshments etc are all distractions.

You are now on a slippery slope to a better adjusted and happier life, free from depression and worse. Don't say you weren't warned.

• Laika
    Laika

Plased for you Quelly. I think it's a good experience even if you don't believe, another way to expose the Watchtower's lies.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Rub a dub, you make me chuckle every time you post about the towel rule.

I almost went to a friends church, after learning TTATT and not feeling sure what to do. Then, as I was about to get dressed, I thought, I've devoted 36 years to being religious. I'll devote the next 36 to studying science and being a good person And making up for lost time.

Wish you all the best in your search quellycatface.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

The best thing about it is, I can be what I want, beleive what I want with NO need to convert others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit