Dylan Farrow on her abuse

by sammielee24 30 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The weird thing is that Mia and Woody never actually lived in the same apartment. It appears it was an unconventional marriage to say the least. Mia had quite a few adopted and natural children. And you have to admit that Ronan looks far more like Frank Sinatra, her first husband, than Woody Allen, you have to wonder about that. I still think Woody was an idiot to have an affair with the daughter of his girlfriend, but I am not convinced. I read an autobiography by Mia, I was not convinced about the molestation.

Children do sometimes remember things that were told to them as if they actually happened. I believe this girl thinks she was molested, but I am not convinced that she actually was. It was thoroughly investigated at the time, but who know after all this time what really happened?

She has a right to tell her story, Woody has a right to defend himself.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Shirley W, please see LisaRose's post. Allen and Farrow were never married, nor did they live together. The article also says that Allen never spent a single night in Farrow's apartment. I think it's weird that Allen had an affair with his girlfriend's adopted daughter, but there is no point in having the facts misrepresented...Allen, Farrow, and Previn never lived in the same household together.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

OK, so if my mom dated someone but never lived together and her boyfriend acted in the wrong manner towards me, obviously something is wrong. I didn't know that Allen and Mia (supposedly) never spent a night in Mia's apt.

Also I know that Andre, Woody and Mia never lived in the same household, that would've been hinted at or major headlines if they did.

• VIII
    VIII

Woody Allen, from what I recall, had lots of nude photos of Soon-yi when she was about 18. That alone puts Him in the major Creeper category. He was her almost father. They were dating for 10 years at that point and Soon-yi knew him since she was a young girl. Would you want your young daughter texting naked pictures to your grandfather or Boyfriend? Which, at his age, 50's, he was.

Yuck.

Whether or not she was molested, I'm curious why everyone completely discounts what she says and when a boy says it about a Catholic Priest 25 years later, everyone yells "Hang Him"!

Seriously, WD has issues. So what if he's a good director. He's still a perverted old creeper who slept with his almost daughter. If he were Joe Citizen, the DA would have pressed charges and let the justice system handle it.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Any grown man that goes after his step child is a creep in my book!! Yuk!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I feel he should have been drummed out of the industry for Soon Yi. The DA admits there was not enough proof to prosecute for child abuse with Dylan. People suspect. I can't believe all the Hollywood stars who pay him homage. People go out of there way to say how great the relationship with Soon Yi is. How many of them haved lived in the household? A set tells you nothing. Soon Yi never dated anyone else.

Woody Allen's answer to all the chaos and craziness in the family was that the children could always see a therapist. He was extremely iresponsible. An old man dating someone underage and taking nude photos. It was incest. What did he see in Soon Yi beyond youth? He always wrote a sophisticated, urban characters. Mia Farrow and Diane Keaton were types. Soon Yi must be a little girl.

I just saw photos of Ronan Farrow the other day. He certainly bears not the slightest resemblance to Woody Allen. Does he truly deserve his own news show?

Dylan Farrow should focus on her own life now. The obvious part is that, creep or pervert, Woody Allen is a damn good director with a unique view. Maybe some monster will bother his children.

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

Unlike the Yale–New Haven staff, the state investigators found Dylan credible. “When a little girl says someone digitally penetrated her,” one of them told me, “if a child relates pain to the incident at that age, that’s credible.”

Maco had steered clear of any questioning of Dylan during the Yale–New Haven inquiry. After Wilk’s decision, however, he decided he needed to see for himself if she could be relied on to take the witness stand.

“I sat down with the child, with my secretary, with another female from the state police, and we rolled around—we had stuffed animals. As soon as I broached the idea of Woody, the child just froze. Nothing.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/11/mia-farrow-frank-sinatra-ronan-farrow?mbid=social_retweet

• Sol Reform
    Sol Reform

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/law-child-sex-abuse-victims-article-1.1602057

The law vs. child sex abuse victims
    We don't know whether Dylan Farrow is telling the truth about Woody Allen, but we do know that the cards are stacked against survivors

Comments (1)

By Marci A. Hamilton / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014, 4:30 AM

Print Share This URL:

Time Life Pictures/Time & Life Pictures/Getty Image

Woody Allen and Dylan Farrow in 1992.

Related Stories

Dylan Farrow’s allegations of sexual abuse by her adoptive father, Woody Allen, merit calm consideration, because the charges give us all a close look at what is wrong with our flawed legal and cultural handling of child sex abuse.

As has been widely reported, the prosecutor who investigated the claims in 1993 says that he had insufficient evidence then, though he did not doubt her story. But those criminal claims are barred now by the statute of limitations. One can fairly ask: How is that so?

Under the law in 1993, Farrow had until age 20 to file criminal charges against Allen. That legal limit covers her criminal claims — and so, now that she is 28, she is barred. Connecticut extended the statute to age 48 in 2002, but that extension did not apply to criminal acts that occurred before that year.

Many are wondering, I am sure, how, if her allegations are true, it was possible that the prosecutor did not have adequate evidence when this young woman first came forward? Sadly, it happens all the time. Two factors are at play: actual evidence and the disinclination of prosecutors to go after celebrities except in slam-dunk cases. When victims come forward as children, there is often inadequate evidence for prosecutors to prove an assault beyond a reasonable doubt.

There is no physical evidence unless they come forward far more quickly than most children can. Victims are instinctively ashamed and confused, but also don’t understand what happened, and often don’t even know that it was wrong. You need a certain level of maturity to comprehend what sex is, and what is appropriate. This is especially true when the perpetrator is a trusted adult. These crimes are even harder to prove because adults invariably assault children in private.

If there are other victims who could corroborate the charges, the child has little chance of knowing it, let alone proving it. In the 1990s, also, many still assumed that sexual abuse was not a very common crime. The incorrect assumption was that we should all be more concerned with Stranger Danger than with fathers, boyfriends or other relatives.

Ron Galella/WireImage
    Woody Allen and Dylan Farrow in 1989.

What more of us know now is that the vast majority of sexual abuse happens at the hands of family or close associates. Without corroborating evidence, and sometimes even with it, prosecutors do not pursue these cases lightly. There is always a concern about how the child will hold up under questioning, even if the prosecutor is certain the abuse occurred.

Another problem lies in the fact that the prosecutor is an elected official who wants to offend powerful public figures — particularly when they have resources to hire the best attorneys — about as much as vampires love garlic. This is Woody Allen we are talking about; an ordinary prosecutor would want bulletproof evidence, not just evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, to charge him with such heinous crimes.

As always happens when a powerful man is alleged to have sexually abused a child, battle lines have been drawn in the wake of these allegations. On one side is the survivor community, many of whom will tell you they were unable to come forward until adulthood, and that they were shut out of the legal system, too.

Many are already on social media declaring they believe Farrow. On the other side are those who have known Allen for years and either can’t believe it is true, or who don’t want to attack him because of the sway he holds in Hollywood. Either way, there are always adults who will stand up for alleged child sex abusers.

This is painful for survivors, but it is invariably what happens in these cases. And we cannot forget: The American system rightly has enshrined the presumption of innocence as a core value. As adults, we tend to trust our instincts about people, even when we are told by the experts that those who commit child sex abuse tend to be the “nice guys” whom everyone likes, not the malevolent criminal in a shady minivan.

But remember: The former is common; the latter, very rare. That is how Jerry Sandusky, and the teachers at Horace Mann and Poly Prep, along with scores of priests, rabbis and pastors — not to mention many more family members everywhere — have gotten away with abuse over the centuries. Adults trust adults more than they trust children. On this issue, that is a mistake.

According to the most respectable social science, children rarely concoct child sex abuse stories. It is not that it never happens, but that it is relatively rare. Given that Farrow reported it when she was younger, the social science would back her up. But that is not enough to know with certainty who is telling the truth.

All is not lost in the legal arena for Farrow, though. Under Connecticut law, the statute of limitations for civil claims will not expire for 20 more years. She cannot put Allen behind bars, but she does have the option to seek justice, including civil damages, and, as many victims demand, an apology.
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I always wondered how Woody Allen and Mia Farrow, not a married couple, were able to adopt children together. She had too many children. Her relationship with Woody Allen was bizarre. How could she date a man who was not interested in children? There were her children and then there was the co-adopted children. Many of the children had special needs. I doubt if a not famous couple would be allowed to adopt so many children.

Mia Farrow was great in his films. I preferred Diane Keaton. It does not seem fair to keep after Woody Allen when the prosecutor declined to prosecute. I read Mia Farrow's book. I feel we will never know the truth. It is the Soon Yi respectability that annoys me greatly. So many stars give their endorsement. I am certain actors refused to work with him.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

J.D., Roman and Woody: Why ‘Great Men’ Get a Pass From Their Peers

Because Oscars matter more

By Nina Burleigh 2/04 12:19pm

NEW YORK, NY – DECEMBER 16: U.S. Actor-Director Woody Allen (L) speaks to reporters in New York, NY after a pre-trial hearing 15 December, 1992 on the custody fight between Allen and former girlfriend Mia Farrow. Farrow’s lawyers are asking that Allen not be allowed to contact his adopted daughter Dylan and not seek custody when his wife dies. (HAI DO/AFP/Getty Images)

How to handle Woody Allen at the Oscars is weighing heavy on the minds of Hollywood this week, after Dylan Farrow’s graphic account of alleged childhood abuse by her adoptive father.

Without dismissing her outright, a few of the stars she has cited by name in a letter published in The New York Times have called whatever went on between the two a private matter and not one that concerns them.

Cate Blanchett, Oscar-nominated for her performance in Blue Jasmine, delicately distanced herself from the fracas, telling reporters in Santa Barbara: “It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family, and I hope they find some sort of resolution and peace.” Ms. Blanchett’s co-star, Alec Baldwin, normally good for a ham-handed comment if not a punch in the nose, also tiptoed away, telling reporters: “You are mistaken if you think there is a place for me, or any outsider, in this family’s issue.”

But is child rape really just “a family issue”? Framing sexual abuse of a 7-year-old as a private matter is exactly the kind of logic that has given pedophiles a pass forever. Take into account the crazy he-said-she-said dysfunction of this particular family and Mr. Allen’s status in Hollywood, and his accuser is sunk.

Briefly, for those who haven’t read the letter: Dylan Farrow, now 28, married and living in Florida, says Woody sexually assaulted her for the first time when she was 7 years old, after taking her to the attic and instructing her to lie down on her stomach and watch her brother’s train going round and round a track. That happened after various “grooming” exercises, including sleeping with her in his underwear, separating her from her mother and siblings, frequently sticking his thumb in her mouth and burying his head in her naked lap and inhaling.

Dylan has not spoken publicly before, but this is not the first time we’ve heard the allegations. In 1992, when Mia and Woody were acrimoniously breaking up after Mia discovered Woody’s naked pictures of her adoptive daughter Soon-Yi, Litchfield County (Connecticut) prosecutor Frank S. Maco announced at a press conference that he believed Mr. Allen had molested Dylan Farrow but wouldn’t charge him to avoid a traumatic trial for the young girl.

Hollywood and entertainment fans spent all weekend arguing about over whether Dylan Farrow really lived the creepy stories she tells in her letter to Nick Kristof or whether her adoptive mom, Mia, implanted the memories in her mind. I find it hard to believe that a grown woman would invent something as queer and specific as the lap-breathing and broadcast it to the world, bringing down humiliation on herself for life, not to mention the wrath and contempt of the star machine.

The awful images she depicted weren’t enough to gross out Mr. Allen’s supporters in Hollywood. There’s a tacit assumption among the aristocrats of consciousness that Great Men are entitled to whatever it takes to juice their creativity.

Woody is, of course, catnip to big actresses, all of whom would sell their souls rather than turn down a part. Ms. Blanchett took on what was surely billed to her as “the role of a lifetime” playing the cuckolded, cracked wife in last year’s cringe-worthily misogynistic Blue Jasmine.

Among Woody’s great enablers is Diane Keaton, his collaborator and friend, who picked up his lifetime achievement award at the Golden Globes. His apparent pedophilia gives a new meaning to Ms. Keaton’s bizarrely juvenile performance, as she serenaded Woody—wherever he was—with a children’s song called “Make New Friends.”

And anyway, Mr. Allen’s marked preference for female children and/or near-children puts him in esteemed company. Like Roman Polanski and J.D. Salinger (revealed in a recent documentary to have been afflicted with a strong preference for underage girls), men who spend their days humming “Thank Heaven for Little Girls” will not be called to task by fellow creative, whatever the evidence.

Salinger’s sickly friendships with little girls were always on open display, too, but that didn’t stop the literati from anointing him as a 20th-century genius. In both For Esme with Love and Squalor and A Great Day for Bananafish, his predilection for pedophilia was on full display. I remember reading the latter in high school and immediately picturing a man exposing himself to a girl underwater. I never got into a Salinger book after that.

LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES:  Actor-director Woody Allen (R) and his adopted daughter and girlfriend, Soon Yi Previn arrive for the world premiere of his new film, "Deconstructing Harry" 05 December in Los Angeles. The film stars, among others, Mariel Hemingway, Demi Moore and Elisabeth Shue and opens in the United States 12 December. (Vince Bucci/AFP/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES: Actor-director Woody Allen (R) and his girlfriend, Soon Yi Previn arrive for the world premiere of his new film, “Deconstructing Harry” 05 December in Los Angeles. The film stars, among others, Mariel Hemingway, Demi Moore and Elisabeth Shue and opens in the United States 12 December. (Vince Bucci/AFP/Getty Images)

Their real-life methods vary, of course: Mr. Polanski, anally raping a 13-year-old in the louche heyday of 1970s Hollywood, Salinger grooming the model for Esme from girlhood, only to dump her the day after he had sex with her as an adult, and Woody allegedly hoovering up the scent of female childhood in the lap of his girlfriend’s adopted child.

What they all have in common is a cheering section of supporters, most of whom can put “Oscar nominated” or “member of the Academy” somewhere in their biographies. In the Woody camp right now, one finds Robert B. Weide, “an Oscar-nominated and Emmy-winning filmmaker” who penned a massive defense for the Daily Beast this weekend, strongly suggesting that Dylan is making it up or at least describing an implanted memory. According to Mr. Weide, who made a documentary about Woody, the whole story could be a fantasy that grew out of Mia’s influence over her troubled daughter, at a time of deep turmoil in the family unit as sister Soon-Yi and Woody hooked up.

Wiede and other Woody supporters have a point. In the parlance of adoption reformers, Mia has her own pathology, being a “collector,” who adopted 14 children, many of them “special needs” kids. Think of cat ladies, and you get the idea.

But it is absolutely impossible to watch Ms. Blanchett emoting in the dramatic final scene where Mr. Baldwin tells her he’s in love with a young woman and not suspect that Woody was directing her to channel Mia on that day in 1992 when she discovered the nude photos of Soon-Yi.

As I wrote back when Mr. Polanski was arrested in Switzerland in ’09:

To many artists and their enablers in the creative world, the prosecution of a major male figure for something as apparently insignificant as forced sex with a female child is a witch hunt, the persecution of a genius by low-level, unimaginative legal drones, who wear uncool suits and wouldn’t know a semiotic deconstruction if it smacked them in the face.

Hollywood enablers are not alone. We, as a society, are O.K. with it too. Mr. Allen’s preference was never hidden. He cast 16-year-old Mariel Hemingway as his own lover in Manhattan. Hemingway later confessed that he was the first person she ever kissed and that she was “way too young” for that role.

We live in a society in which pretty young girls are presumed to be just what the doctor ordered for older men. We don’t marry off 8-year-olds to their uncles, Saudi-style, but we are not revolted by the image of gross Woody Allen in his late 50s kissing Mariel Hemingway. We consume such images from the point of view of male privilege. Unless and until Mariel, years later, says she didn’t really like it, we don’t even imagine what it meant or felt like from her point of view.

Celebrating the kind of old-man/girl love that Woody promotes in his movies is on one end of a spectrum of male privilege. At the other end are Dylan’s story and the fact that teen girls can’t ride subways and buses in our own great city without having to fear being groped and exposed.

Brooke Axtell, the founder of Survivor Healing and Empowerment, points out that 97 percent of rapists will never spend a day in jail.

Statistics like that tell us how far we have not come since Sigmund Freud noted that late Victorian women were conjuring up eerily similar memories of childhood sexual abuse. The great doctor chose not to devote his career to studying the pathology of men who couldn’t keep their hands off small females. Instead, he labeled these women hysterical and set about trying to figure out what internal flaw caused their disorder.

As we come to bury Woody, not to praise him, it’s helpful to recall that the founder of psychoanalysis, which is after all, Mr. Allen’s religion, was in the end a better friend to predators than to prey. So, too, is Hollywood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit