Dylan Farrow on her abuse

by sammielee24 30 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I recall when Woody Allen split and married his adopted daughter and this originally came out - Dylan Farrow put this out for everyone to see after Allen won his latest award - some people have never believed her story - swife

---

FEBRUARY 1, 2014, 3:04 PM

An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow

By DYLAN FARROW Dylan Farrow Frances Silver Dylan Farrow

(A note from Nicholas Kristof: In 1993, accusations that Woody Allen had abused his adoptive daughter, Dylan Farrow, filled the headlines, part of a sensational story about the celebrity split between Allen and his girlfriend, Mia Farrow. This is a case that has been written about endlessly, but this is the first time that Dylan Farrow herself has written about it in public. It’s important to note that Woody Allen was never prosecuted in this case and has consistently denied wrongdoing; he deserves the presumption of innocence. So why publish an account of an old case on my blog? Partly because the Golden Globe lifetime achievement award to Allen ignited a debate about the propriety of the award. Partly because the root issue here isn’t celebrity but sex abuse. And partly because countless people on all sides have written passionately about these events, but we haven’t fully heard from the young woman who was at the heart of them. I’ve written a column about this, but it’s time for the world to hear Dylan’s story in her own words.)

What’s your favorite Woody Allen movie? Before you answer, you should know: when I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me by the hand and led me into a dim, closet-like attic on the second floor of our house. He told me to lay on my stomach and play with my brother’s electric train set. Then he sexually assaulted me. He talked to me while he did it, whispering that I was a good girl, that this was our secret, promising that we’d go to Paris and I’d be a star in his movies. I remember staring at that toy train, focusing on it as it traveled in its circle around the attic. To this day, I find it difficult to look at toy trains.

For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn’t like. I didn’t like how often he would take me away from my mom, siblings and friends to be alone with him. I didn’t like it when he would stick his thumb in my mouth. I didn’t like it when I had to get in bed with him under the sheets when he was in his underwear. I didn’t like it when he would place his head in my naked lap and breathe in and breathe out. I would hide under beds or lock myself in the bathroom to avoid these encounters, but he always found me. These things happened so often, so routinely, so skillfully hidden from a mother that would have protected me had she known, that I thought it was normal. I thought this was how fathers doted on their daughters. But what he did to me in the attic felt different. I couldn’t keep the secret anymore.

When I asked my mother if her dad did to her what Woody Allen did to me, I honestly did not know the answer. I also didn’t know the firestorm it would trigger. I didn’t know that my father would use his sexual relationship with my sister to cover up the abuse he inflicted on me. I didn’t know that he would accuse my mother of planting the abuse in my head and call her a liar for defending me. I didn’t know that I would be made to recount my story over and over again, to doctor after doctor, pushed to see if I’d admit I was lying as part of a legal battle I couldn’t possibly understand. At one point, my mother sat me down and told me that I wouldn’t be in trouble if I was lying – that I could take it all back. I couldn’t. It was all true. But sexual abuse claims against the powerful stall more easily. There were experts willing to attack my credibility. There were doctors willing to gaslight an abused child.

After a custody hearing denied my father visitation rights, my mother declined to pursue criminal charges, despite findings of probable cause by the State of Connecticut – due to, in the words of the prosecutor, the fragility of the “child victim.” Woody Allen was never convicted of any crime. That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up. I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls. I was terrified of being touched by men. I developed an eating disorder. I began cutting myself. That torment was made worse by Hollywood. All but a precious few (my heroes) turned a blind eye. Most found it easier to accept the ambiguity, to say, “who can say what happened,” to pretend that nothing was wrong. Actors praised him at awards shows. Networks put him on TV. Critics put him in magazines. Each time I saw my abuser’s face – on a poster, on a t-shirt, on television – I could only hide my panic until I found a place to be alone and fall apart.

Last week, Woody Allen was nominated for his latest Oscar. But this time, I refuse to fall apart. For so long, Woody Allen’s acceptance silenced me. It felt like a personal rebuke, like the awards and accolades were a way to tell me to shut up and go away. But the survivors of sexual abuse who have reached out to me – to support me and to share their fears of coming forward, of being called a liar, of being told their memories aren’t their memories – have given me a reason to not be silent, if only so others know that they don’t have to be silent either.

Today, I consider myself lucky. I am happily married. I have the support of my amazing brothers and sisters. I have a mother who found within herself a well of fortitude that saved us from the chaos a predator brought into our home.

But others are still scared, vulnerable, and struggling for the courage to tell the truth. The message that Hollywood sends matters for them.

What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?

Woody Allen is a living testament to the way our society fails the survivors of sexual assault and abuse.

So imagine your seven-year-old daughter being led into an attic by Woody Allen. Imagine she spends a lifetime stricken with nausea at the mention of his name. Imagine a world that celebrates her tormenter.

Are you imagining that? Now, what’s your favorite Woody Allen movie?

• metatron
    metatron

My reaction? Enough!

Your life should not be defined by a single act of abuse nor by victimhood. At some point, this becomes a kind of OCD.

So, Woody is a perv who is successful in the movies. We get it. Life is short and identifying yourself obsessively in the public eye as a sad faced victim is not a worthy life-purpose especially in a quixotic quest that can't be legally proven.

Get on with life. It isn't fair but it's all we have.

metatron

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Probably not a good idea to put that up here either until it is proven. People get sued for less.

• Simon
    Simon

Didn't he have an 'affair' with another adopted daughter?

It's hard to know the truth but there does seem to be a lot of smoke and some questions regarding the investigation.

Ultimately though I never got the adoration for his films - the ones I've seen were simply utter shite.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Probably not a good idea to put that up here either until it is proven. People get sued for less.

--------------------------------

LOL...it has been posted in the NY papers - it's public - I don't think anyone is going to sue anyone for something in the public domain unless it's the person writing the article. It's their fight to wage - but considering that some of the discussion on the JW board revolves aroaund sexual abuse by the more powerful within a relgion, I found the parallels similar when it comes to her claim of sexual abuse by the powerful within hollywood. I don't know if it's true or not. Additionally, while anyone might agree that one cannot remain a 'victim' forever, it could be said that if not for those 'victim's' continuing to fight in any way they can, there would be no justice brought to light; and that can be found in the 30 year fight for those sexually abused by priests or Elders etc in any society. Perhaps her writing about it is her fight ....I don't really know. - sw

---------------

"In an open-letter to The New York Times posted online Saturday, Dylan Farrow made her first public comments about the 1992 incident. In a letter to op-ed columnist Nicholas Kristof, she said she was moved to speak out because of Hollywood’s continued embrace of Allen.

“That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up,” wrote Farrow. “I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls.”

The New York Times reported that Allen declined comment. Also, representatives for Allen and for former partner Mia Farrow also did not immediately return requests for comment Saturday from The Associated Press. Allen has long maintained his innocence"

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I say, good for her!! Whatever helps in her recovery is exactly what she should do!

I think everyone knew what a perv Allen was when he married his young adopted daughter.

• Simon
    Simon

It was sickening seeing the sycophantic praise being lavished on him. Amazing how some can turn a blind eye to things, just 'cause they get a part in some crappy movie.

There must be some actors who tell him to go shove it ... they should get awards.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was a huge Woody Alllen fan. Saw him perform at the pub. Michael's?. Waited in line many hours to see the film on opening day rather than wait one week. Attended Woody Allen film festivals. Something happened. I have no desire to see his work. I do wonder how these celebs can throw tributes to Woody Allen and his daughter/wife/girl. It shows power. If Mia Farrow did not have compelling contacts, no one would even know the allegations.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

A link to a very interesting article is cited below. First off, Soon Yi was never adopted by Woody Allen. She was adopted by Mia Farrow and her husband by the name of Previn, so technically Soon Yi was the daughter of Allen's long time girlfriend. Soon Yi was 21 when Farrow discovered the affair with Allen. Yes, I think it's creepy, but who am I to say what's creepy and what isn't creepy?

Second, Allen and Soon Yi are married, still together, and raising two adopted daughters.

Third, the initial accusations were made during a bitter custody battle. Allen passed a lie detector test, and Farrow refused to take one. Two of Farrow's employees later said that Dylan was never out of their sight on the day that the incident was supposed to have happened. Some of Farrow's employees also said that the little girl was coached by Farrow.

Fourth, Mia Farrow has not mentioned the facts that she was a character witness for Roman Polanski, (who admitted having sex with a 13-year old girl), and that her brother has recently been imprisoned for child molesting.

There are tons of other facts in the article that could make one think that the only child abuse committed in this case was by Farrow in brainwashing a child into believing that she was indeed molested just to get back at Allen.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast.html

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Although she was officially adopted by Previn and Mia, if she lived in the household when Woody and Mia were together and your mother's husband comes on to you, adopted or biological, something is DEFINITELY WRONG WITH THAT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit