Almost a JW

by JesseS 14 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

BTTT

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome JesseS!

Personally I have found spirituality, faith and the "Good News" lead in the opposite direction to religion.

At any rate, please keep posting and in time you may have a much clearer picture about what direction in life is best for you.

• JesseS
    JesseS

Thank you all for your comments. I know how hard it has been for me, always dancing along the periphery of this religion. I can't imagine being a part of it and the strength it would take to leave.

I've heard a lot about Hassan, but I've never picked up a copy. I will.

As to my father's belief that I and my children will soon die, I can say this. I take a strange comfort in the fact the fact it was put to me more as a sales pitch than actual concern for my children's well being.

I recognize my father may be--probably is mentally ill. I suppose I'm holding on to some hope that he is'nt.

From what I understand, dad was in his early 20s when he started studying. I'm currently 32. I'm aware that I'm subconsciously trying to live up to him. i.e., if He was pondering these questions when he was a young man, what took me so long?

Thank you all again for the responses. Steve2, can you explain the acronym? I've talked over these things with my wife and mother, but, understandably, they have somewhat of a hard time relating. Again, the perspective from folks who have been there, its something I'm not used to. It helps.

My post title may have been misleading. I don't think I've ever seriously considered joining. Actually, I know I haven't. One of the things that sticks in my craw, even if I knew they had the truth, I couldn't do it. I've seen what it does to families. I know that is a weird sort of circular thinking, knowing you wouldn't do what is wrong, so to speak, but it does exist for me.

Thank you all again. I do appreciate it.

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

Love your dad. He's the only one you've got. If he's ill. yeah. so what. live your life.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The BITE Model.

http://www.freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php

I think you might enjoy a movie out right now; absolutely great characterizations, and a coming of age story between a father and a son.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821549/

I see it as your father infected you with a virus, a fear virus. Take care of yourself and you will heal of it on your own. Don't let fear overtake your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit