Hongkong billionaire offers $147,000,000 to man who can turn his daughter str8

by fulltimestudent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

This is an interesting and novel incident. The billionaire's daughter has been married to another woman for 9 years (legally). But the father refuses to accept that his daughter doesn't want to marry a man and has just doubled the cash reward to a successful suitor to $147,000,000.

Background:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/01/29/14/02/lesbian-pleads-for-billionaire-fathers-acceptance-in-letter

The lesbian daughter of a Hong Kong billionaire has written an open letter to her father asking him to treat her wife as a normal human being after he offered $147 million to a man that could marry her.

Gigi Chao, 33, married her partner Sean Eav in a civil ceremony in France in 2012.

Her property developer father, Cecil Chao Sze-tsung, made international headlines when he offered a $73.5 million dowry to the man his daughter would be willing to marry, South China Morning Post reports. Last week her father doubled the amount on offer after Ms Chao unsurprisingly turned down every one of the 20,000 suitors.

Ms Chao, who is still married to her partner of nine years, today wrote an open letter pleading her father to stop interfering.

The letter details the love and respect she holds for her father but says she is a "better person" because of her wife.

"I'm not asking you to be best of friends, however it would mean the world to me if you could just not be so terrified of her and treat her like a normal, dignified human being," the letter reads.

"I'm sorry to mislead you to think I was only in a lesbian relationship because there was a shortage of good, suitable men in Hong Kong. There are plenty of good men, they are just not me."

What was striking to me was the civilised and gentle way that the daughter responded to her father's offers.

Dear Daddy,

I thought the timing was right for us to have a candid conversation.
    You are one of the most mentally astute, energetic yet well mannered and hard-working people this humble earth has ever known.
    Your confidence, quick wit, and charisma brightens any room you enter.
    I love you very much, and I think I can speak for my brothers also, that we have the utmost respect for you as a father and role model in business.
    I am sorry that people have been saying insensitive things about you lately. The truth is, they don’t understand that I will always forgive you for thinking the way you do, because I know you think you are acting in my best interests. And we both don’t care if anybody else understands.
    As your daughter, I would want nothing more than to make you happy. But in terms of relationships, your expectations of me and the reality of who I am, are not coherent.
    I am responsible for some of this misplaced expectation, because I must have misled you to hope there were other options for me. You know I’ve had male lovers in the past, and I’ve had happy, albeit short-lived, relationships. I found myself temporarily happy, buoyed by the freshness, the attention, the interest, of someone physically stronger than myself.
    But it was always short-lived, as I quickly lost patience, and felt an indescribable discomfort in their presence. It usually made me frustrated, and I would yearn for my freedom again. I’ve broken a few hearts, hearts of good, honest and loving men, and I’m sorry that it had to be so.

But with Sean, a woman, somehow it was different. I am comfortable and satisfied with my life and completely at ease with her.

\I know it’s difficult for you to understand how I could feel romantically attracted to a woman; I suppose I can’t really explain it either. It just happens, peacefully and gently, and after so many years, we still love each other very much.
    My regret is that you have no idea how happy I am with my life, and there are aspects of my life that you don’t share. I suppose we don’t need each other’s approval for our romantic relationships, and I am sure your relationships are really fantastic too.
    However, I do love my partner Sean, who does a good job of looking after me, ensuring I am fed, bathed and warm enough every day, and generally cheering me up to be a happy, jolly girl. She is a large part of my life, and I am a better person because of her.
    Now, I’m not asking you to be best of friends; however, it would mean the world to me if you could just not be so terrified of her, and treat her like a normal, dignified human being.
    I understand it is difficult for you to understand, let alone accept this truth.
    I’ve spent a lot of time figuring out who I am, what is important in my life, who I love and how best to live life, as an expression of all these questions. I am proud of my life, and I would not choose to live it any other way (except also figuring out how to be gentler on the planet).
    I’m sorry to mislead you to think I was only in a lesbian relationship because there was a shortage of good, suitable men in Hong Kong.
    are plenty of good men, they are just not for me.

Wishing you happiness.

Patiently yours, Your daughter, Gigi

• prologos
    prologos

It is very important for all of us to produce offspring. evolution decrees we are to be successful at that. that is how we personally are here, all the way from the little ones 4 billion years ago.

To have that interrupted is a great pain for an oriental, and all of us. The selfish and generous gene.

advise to the Gentlemen, current bible reading: produce offspring through a mistress. a la' Abraham, the friendly god's friend.

• ingimar
    ingimar

It is not important for everyone to produce offspring. I don't regret not having children. You can't speak for me or many others prologos. By the way, I was never a JW, so that did not influence my decision to not have children.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

It's hilarious how some heterosexual people feel that a gay person will magically turn straight if only they can find the 'right' opposite-sex partner. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. It's as silly as trying to make a straight person 'turn' gay.

• prologos
    prologos

ingimar of course there are human values that are higher, nobler than just procreation, but are you not glad to have experienced life because of the success of the unbroken line of all your ancestors?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Whats the big deal about an unbroken line of ancestors ? Some people today should be ashamed of the conduct of their ancestors . Not only should they be ashamed but embarrassed to acknowledge them , and even humilliated by such an admission .

In many , many cases an unbroken line of ancestors is nothing to be proud of .

smiddy

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

prologos:

To have that interrupted is a great pain for an oriental, and all of us. The selfish and generous gene.

I'd argue that prologos. The Japanese birthrate is falling so drastically that some demographers are predicting that the population of Japan will have fallen by half in 2100. Some suggest that a significant proportion of the Japanese population has lost interest in sex.

But is it that different in the west? My father was one of 12 kids, an uncle had 16 kids. Since contraception became easier, few couples have more than 2 or 3. A woman in our flats is having an argument with her husband. They've got 2 now and he wants 5 more. She says, OK- I'll give you 5 more, but when the last one is born, I'm off - you can raise them. I want something interesting in my life, not more bloody kids.

And you likely know the meaning of the acronym, dinks - double income- no kids.

Note too, that urban Chinese adjusted to the one child policy (didn't apply to farmers) - the population of China seems to be falling. Imagine if that policy had not worked, you may have been staring at 2000 million discontented Chinese now, instead of under 1400,000,000 gradually becoming prosperous Chinese. Compare that to 1200,000,000 Indians where it looks like the possibility of 2000,000,000 in young people's lifetime - 2000,000,000 still poor and problematical.

And - back to the young lady in question. She does have brothers, so its not as if the old man will not have grandkids.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I'll give it a go!

:-)

• prologos
    prologos

fulltimescholar. I grant you all those points, great survival rates all due to science. With all that branching, not all survivors can have more offspring, and China did a great although painful job to stabilize the population nos.

I thought it was odd then for the father to be concerned for other reasons then having a heir.

smiddy, I wish not to denigrate mine or your ancestors. we have them, warts and all. but they brought us here. thyank you.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Just got permission from my wife.

Where do I sign?

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit