The Morman Heavies came over..

by tdogg 40 Replies latest jw friends

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Double Edge,

THANK YOU!!!! I couldn't agree with you more, and your kind thoughts are most welcome!

Susan

• circe2
    circe2

SusanHere,

First, I would like to correct my statement that the Mormons come to my Grandmother's house WEEKLY to collect tithe. I truly meant monthly. Sorry for the error.

Secondly, I hope you recognize that I was attempting, through all my replies, to state that LDS people aren't the stereotyped polygamists that the media paints. They are "normal" people. (Definitely more normal than JW's.)

It's true that I have problems with LDS doctrine. I also have problems with JW doctrine, Baptist doctrine, Catholic doctrine, etc...

I love living in Utah. I love the LDS friends that I have. I love my family, of which 90% are LDS.

The axe I have to grind with Mormonism, is the same axe I have to grind with most (not all) religion.

Do you live in Utah, if you don't mind my asking.

circe

• jerome
    jerome

Susanhere

I think that it would be best if were not to gointo this any longer as nothing good would come of it.

I dont dislike the mormons I simply said that they are very similar to the JWs in many ways.

If I had to bring up matters shuch as the "Salamander letter" and the murders that were prepertrated to cover them up I dont think that you would be well enough equipped to respond.

Just forget it all.

Besides I think that i'd rather be the own lord of a planet rather than enjoy a paradise earth any day.

jerome

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Jerome:

I agree, nothing good comes in putting down people you have no relationship with. However, I find it odd that at one moment you want to move on and then you turn around and make an open-ended "put down" statement:

If I had to bring up matters shuch as the "Salamander letter" and the murders that were prepertrated to cover them up I dont think that you would be well enough equipped to respond.
    uuuuuuuuuuu..scarey stuff. Come on. I read a book years ago about a morman who dealt in buying and selling historical documents. He got so use to the money that he decided to learn the art of forgery and he sold forged documents to various places around the country including the Morman church. The Salamander letter was one of his forgeries. He was about to found out and murdered a couple of people trying to cover this up. He was tried and either went to jail or was executed (can't remember). Is this what you are eluding to?
  • Double Edge
    Double Edge

Jerome:

Besides I think that i'd rather be the own lord of a planet rather than enjoy a paradise earth any day.
    LOL...now that's funny!
  • jerome
    jerome

I just mentioned the salamander letter because I have a [bad] habit of being a smart ass at times.

jerome

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Jerome:

At least you're 'smart'!

• jerome
    jerome

Double edge youre a Mormon right?

jeorme

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I don't know a lot about the Mormons....just from personal experience in dealing with them while my nephew was a member and living with a Mormon foster family.

It's possible that they were atypical, but, in my experience, they were just as exclusionist as the JWs, and some of their actions were pretty bizarre.

Since we were not Mormons (at that time we weren't even JWs any longer), my nephew was forbidden to see us. We were unacceptable to them. He was also not allowed to associate with any young people other than other Mormons.

He had a deck of cards that my father had given him, and he kept them as a sentimental thing. His Mormon foster mother would regularly go into his room to check for "contraband", and on one of her excursions, found the deck of cards. She took them and burned them. When my nephew, understandably upset, confronted her about this, she told him that the cards were "instruments of the Devil", and she was furious with him for having these "demonized" items in her home.

All in all, my impression of Mormons is that they are as much a cult as JWs.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I probably would be except for 1) my family would think I'm going to hell, 2)I like to party harty and don't want to be a hypocrite, 3)wonder about some of their 'old' doctrine that's been abandoned, 4)don't want to be confused with Muslim and I guess that's about it. Like I said in the above post...there are many things I admire about their Church as a social group, at least here in So. Cal. I defend them as people alot, but they're on their own with the doctrinal issues that I know only a little about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit