Bill Bowen Was Just on WPSD-TV

by NotBlind 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

I just saw Bill Bowen on a television spot on WPSD TV out of Paducah, Kentucky. They stated that Bill will be defending himself against charges of "causing divisions" in the JW church.

Bill stated that he 'still considers himself a JW in good standing and wishes to remain that way'. Also, the anchors made mention of Bill's website, even giving his URL. OH, and another thing, they also stated that Dateline NBC will be running the show about JW molesters 'soon'.

The media is taking note... The public will be taking note...
    Will the Witnesses?

If anyone in Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Southeast Missouri, or Northwest Tennessee can watch or tape this spot (I think it will be on again at 10), please do...

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Do you think it will air in North Carolina? South West?

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/PicturePage.html

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Bill,

I'm giving as much to the press here as I know how.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I've been sending the press release as well and contacting religious correspondents.

But I'm being asked the same question: What is the local relevance?

This is a difficult question to answer. Have you had the same question asked of you, Yeru?

• simwitness
    simwitness
    What is the local relevance?

There are congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses all over America. The fact that members are brought before the "Judicial Committee" of the local congregation for reporting child abuse to the authorities makes it relevant to people everywhere.

This particular story deserves special attention becuase this member, Bill Bowen, has refused to be silenced by the threat of this action.

Or, something to that affect....

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

plmkrzy:
    Since the story was a local one done by the local affiliate, it probably won't run in other areas. Dateline, of course, will be aired nationwide.

The story was aired again at 10:00, but in an abbreviated format. This time, though, an interesting tidbit was added. The report stated that Bill 'expects to be excommunicated'.

It should be interesting to see what the media says, oh, Saturday, after the kangaroo court meets. I'm curious to see what the public backlash will be if people find out the WTS throws out people who try to blow the whistle on child molesters.

The WTS is making a huge mistake - I can only imagine what the P.R. department in Brooklyn is thinking right now - they're probably having a hemorrhage over what's about to burst forth...

• ronin1
    ronin1

Hi: This is Ronin1:

The New York Newsday, Wednesday, May 8, 2002 just ran a story on the
    child molestation and Bill Bowen and Barbara Pandelo. The story is on page A15 titled: "Jehovah's Witnesses Allege Sexual Abuse".

Ronin1

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

Here ya go

http://www.wpsdtv.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/200205/08+00KY_news.html+20020508+news

Bowen fights excommunication for criticizing witnesses

Ernie Mitchell,
    NewsChannel 6

"Children are being hurt by the policies of this organization. The typical Jehovah's Witness is unaware of this unless their child is molested,"

A Jehovah's Witness who resigned as an elder will fight excommunication Friday.

Bill Bowen is former presiding overseer, or pastor, of Jehovah's Witnesses at Draffenville. Bowen publicly denounces policies he says protect child molesters by refusing to reveal their confessions to police. Church officials have called Bowen to answer charges he is causing divisions within the congregation. Bowen says he will fight to remain a member, so he can support child abuse victims within the church. "I still consider myself to be a Jehovah's Witness in good standing," Bowen says. Bowen says leaders want him "disfellowshipped," the group's term for excommunication, for starting his Silent Lambs.Org computer site in March, 2001. Bowen says the site produces 30 to 40 E-mails daily about sexual molestation within the membership. He says witnesses have been kicked out for revealing members' admissions of child sexual abuse made to panels of lay elders.

Members at Bowen's old Kingdom Hall in Draffenville say the church does not bar them from reporting abuse. They say they may council abusers to report their actions to authorities.
    But they admit discouraging members from telling just anybody.
    "The difference between needless gossip, let's say, and withholding information from those who have a right to know is two different things completely," says Jehovah's Witness Bruce Waite.
    Bowen wants Silent Lambs.Org to break down a code of silence he says was instituted by his church. "Children are being hurt by the policies of this organization. The typical Jehovah's Witness is unaware of this unless their child is molested," Bowen says.
    J.R. Brown, national Jehovah's Witness public information director, says proceedings against Bowen are confidential.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Domo arigato, ronin1-san!

Here's the article from Newsday:

http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-nywit082698508may08.story
    Jehovah's Witnesses Allege Sexual Abuse
    By Ron Howell
    STAFF WRITER

May 8, 2002

Some Jehovah's Witnesses say the group covers up widespread sexual abuse of children within the religion, which is headquartered in Brooklyn and known for sending adherents door-to-door to gain new members.

"Because of the closed community of Jehovah's Witnesses ... the whole issue of protecting sexual abuse among family members is very strong," said Barbara Pandelo, a Belmar, N.J., resident and a Jehovah's Witness.

Pandelo said that in 1988 her daughter was sexually molested by a relative who is also a Jehovah's Witness.

She is one of several critics from around the country who have been commanded by their local superiors to appear at special hearings. Pandelo and the others say they are being targeted because of their outspokenness, especially on sexual abuse of minors.

A national spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses, which says it has 6 million members worldwide, categorically denied the allegations.

"You cannot be a known sex offender and hold any position of responsibility within the organization," said J.R. Brown, the spokesman. "We have a very strong and aggressive policy for handling any sexual molestation that might take place."

In Kentucky, William H. Bowen, a member, said Jehovah's Witnesses have created "a pedophile paradise" because of their tradition of secrecy and reluctance to seriously investigate abuse.

Bowen said that as an elder he tried to investigate a case of sexual abuse, but church leaders told him a year and a half ago "to leave it in God's hands."

Last year he started a Web site, www.silentlambs.org, on which he claims there are numerous cases of sexual abuse committed by members and covered up by officials.

"This is their way of getting rid of us," said Bowen, referring to the local hearings.

Bowen and Pandelo maintain that the tradition of ringing doors and proselytizing new members invites problems for the religion. .

"When Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door they talk to anybody," said Pandelo, a homemaker. "Many times people [who are recruited] bring these [sexually abusive] tendencies into the congregation."

Pandelo said that although she has not worshipped with her local congregation since 1998, she fears being excommunicated.

All practicing members, even her old friends and relatives, would be required to shun her, she said. "You're viewed as if you're dead."

At a Monday hearing, she and her husband, Carl, did not present a formal defense. "But we did draft a letter and presented them with it and left," she said.

Jehovah's Witnesses spokesman Brown said only one hearing has been held so far and no action has been taken yet against anyone.
    Copyright © 2002, Newsday, Inc.

• Simon
    Simon

I can host streaming media if anyone can send me a capture of anything like this (if that helps).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit