Can I get your thoughts on this letter, please?

by Deleted 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Deleted
    Deleted

Hello folks. I have struggled for a long time trying to write something to my former friends. I have about a dozen people I'd like to send the following letter to. As y'all know there is SO MUCH that one could write I just don't know what I should put in or leave out. What prompts me this time is the Bill Bowen et alia DFing about to occur. I want to say something to my old friends. I just want them to think about what's ahead. I'd apprecaite any comments that you've made that have stuck or made a difference.

Peace,

Glen who once was Deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kevin, Rhonda & Family

I have tried to write this letter hundreds of time and every time I do I get very long-winded and 12 pages later I have a chapter to a book. That isn't what I want to do.

I'd like to apologize for leaving so abruptly. I felt I had to, before I said something that I was going to regret. Somehow I thought if I wasn't DF'd or DA'd it would mean something.

What I do want to do is to let you know that I have been thinking about you almost every day for 3 years.

I need to say something before you are blind-sided by a series of wrongs that long-term Watchtower beliefs have molded over many years that the Internet has brought under a microscope.

These wrongs will affect you whether I say something or not. The Watchtower is due for its Armageddon and it is going to hurt a lot of people.

First on the list is the Dateline article on covering-up child molestation charges among a number of congregations in the US. Apparently (and unbelievably) the Society has records of 23,720 cases on file. This article is due soon since the four active (at that time) witnesses interviewed are about to be disfellowshipped. The Society seems to place more value on keeping its flock in the dark than the bad PR this will cause. Bad PR that you will all have to deal with next time you are out in service. It is grossly unfair to do this to you.

Secondly, I have been haunted by something Brother Kirkendoll said to me some time back. He said that he had heard from a long-time brother at Bethel that the congregations couldn't handle the truths yet to be told. I wondered what they were and I am afraid I have found them.

The truths that this brother was talking about was a series of misstatements made knowingly over the years by the ex-presidents and governing body members of the Watchtower Society, and they are legion.

For example, there are literally thousands of pieces of historical evidence that show that Jerusalem fell around 587 BCE and not 607. In fact there is no evidence whatsoever to support the 607 date. Which then means that the seven years prophecy ended in 1934, not 1914. Which then means that Jesus could not have chosen the WTS as its sole channel of truth in 1918/9. Which then means that there is no such thing as the Great Crowd. 1914 is the core belief and without that holding-up everything else fails too. The appaling thing is that people back at Brooklyn actually KNOW they lied and covered it up by disfellowshipping the brothers that brought it to their attention.

If you want to check any of this out start with www.freeminds.org and work your way around a very extensive network of Watchtower quotes and essays.

At the end of the day, you are the ones that are going to have to deal with the fall-out, either by leaving yourself (for your own sanity) or working on reform from the inside (to protect your relationships with family and friends and not getting DF'd).

And I am always here, if you'd like to talk about it.

My love always,

Glen James

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

What is your purpose in writing the letter? Will the people you send it to really examine the sites you send. Or will they instead toss the letter and shun you. Are you just trying to let them know that you still care for them and explain why you left so suddenly? Are you trying to get yourself Disfellowshipped for apostacy?

The letter would most likely be tossed by most Witnesses. There are methods of trying to gradually expose someone to some of these thoughts, and they are discussed on this forum and also on freeminds. If you want to help them out, treading lightly is usually the only way. If they arent ready, nothing you say so suddenly will help.....

Joseph James Frantz (My Birth Name) A former member of Jehovah's Witnesses. Congregations: North Olmestead and Wooster Ohio. If you know me feel free to contact me.
  • Simon
    Simon

Better to try and fail than never try at all and spend a lifetime regretting it.

Although it's tempting to try and get as much info across as possible I would keep it simple, more along the lines of:

We care about you very much and have really missed you
    The reason we've not been going to meetings is we had some doubts and ...
    ... when we investigated things thoroughly (as we believe we should) we were dissapointed to find that the WTS has been lying and covering things up
    You will probably hear about some aspects of the WTS behaviour in upcoming TV investigations

• Deleted
    Deleted

H,

Thanks for the points. To be honest I don't know what I want. It's probable that all 12 of my intended letters will be tossed in the trash-can, unread. And it's probable that this would get back to the local elders and I'd get df'd. But somehow (and maybe it's the same mentality that brought me into dub-dom in the first place) that what I'd say could make a difference.

Peace

Glen "butt cheeks for ear-muffs" James 8-]

• Deleted
    Deleted

S,

Good thought, short and sweet. If I bought a dozen funny postcards and wrote a gem then it would be over before they could throw it away.

Feeling better

Glen 8-]

• larc
    larc

Deleted,

If you want to make a difference, think seriously about what Hyghlandyr wrote to you. If you want to make a difference, think about how you talked to people at the door when you were a Witness. You didn't hit the householder with a laundry list of beliefs. You gave them small does at a time. As Hylandandyr did, I would suggest you read the advice at FreeMinds before you proceed. Also, Simon's very short letter is a good example. If I was writing it, I wouldn't say that the WT had done so and so. I would say that I am concerned about somethings that seem to contradict what I was taught as a JW, e.g., the UN and SilentLambs. I would give them some references and let them do their own search.

• Simon
    Simon

Hey, if it makes one person think then it's worth it right?

Very often, results aren't 'immediate' but something you say could trigger something in someone sometimes in the future, make them think a bit more and maybe help them on the road to freedom.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I think the letter is right on. You never know who might be beginning to think, and this might highlight a little crack in the wall for them.

Send it.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Really, no one can council you on what will or won't work with your friends. I think the letter was well written and confronts the person with the logic they have to address to remain or to leave. If you think they will read it through, I'd send it even if they crumple it up and discard it, the idea is planted. It may take a personal crisis or another issue to get them to think about what you said, but ultimately it will have an effect.

You still gotta be the judge.

Hope it works for youl.

carmel

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

The postcard is probably the best thing, with a short note using the tactics you learned as a JW preaching at the doors.

If you only said:

"Hi, just a note that lets you know I'm okay. I'm feeling better, and am reading my Bible a little more. Hope you are okay too."

That short note just debunked at least twenty different 'apostate myths' Watchtower has been feeding the JW masses.

I have found that this technique NEVER fails. I've seen whole congregations reduced by a quarter becasue of this technique.

Many of us have unresolved conflicts regarding the time we spent with these people and this organization. Jehovah's Witnesses are not going to be able to help us with these, they are too sick to help themselves many of them.

I advise therapy or a group of some sort. Get yourself to an apostafest or into a 12 step of some sort. That's a WAAAYYY better use of your time and enrgy than long letters.

12 short postcards is better than one long letter.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit