Whatever Happened to Backbone?

by Roamingfeline 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ianao
    ianao

TR

I agree. Many are willing to wink at Clinton's behavior if they think he's doing a good job. A good lynching of our former prez might be a good thing.

I would agree with you if I expected the president to lead my children. I feel he had political responsibilities to the nation, not moral responsibilities.

I cannot condemn the man for what he has done. Many people have jobs now that didn't before he came along. I don't think his immoral love-life was any of our business in the first place.

Edited by - ianao on 16 February 2001 16:6:55

• ianao
    ianao

Roamingfeline:

My take on it is that humans have always been selfish. We are just now in a society where we are able to see just how selfish every other person really is.

Toleration and acceptance has it's drawbacks. One person's aggression towards another is another's justified defense. No real way to address the issue. All we can do is balance it out.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I really appreciate what you said.

Now, to comment on the Clinton thing.. Not that I agree with what he did in his personal life, But there have been MUCH scummier people in that office than he. They just didn't get caught or had better control of the press. He's no different than anyone else. And yes, the economy is better. All his actions did was give his enemies ammo to shoot him with. THAT was his mistake.

RCat

Edited by - Roamingfeline on 16 February 2001 21:35:8

• Snowball
    Snowball

Hi Roamingfeline,

I also believe might be operating under some false assumptions. Lack of backbone, apathy, corruption....these have always existed. It is very common for people to fantasize that there was a time in recent history when society was upright and had strong values. I think its more a case of selective memory. For many, they hold up the decade of the fifties as a pinnacle of a virtuous generation. All this is as delusionary as believing that "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver" were accurate representations of real life.

Now, there is simply more access to information and less desire to 'whitewash' over the less desirable traits. Take the Clinton thing for example. The first presidential adulterer? yea right! JF Kennedy is well known to have done his fair share of carousing, yet he is held up as an exemplary president and gets his head printed on money. ...Selective memory.

Good and bad have always existed together. Humans are a study of contrast even within themselves. Society evolves...and has setbacks. This nation was founded by bigoted slave-owners, many of whom belonged to the Order Of Masons. Yet here we are taking a day off to celebrate George Washingtons birthday. Jefferson and Lincoln were no enlightened pillars of virtue either. But society keeps on evolving, and despite its flaws and growing pains, I think we live in a pretty good time in history.

Even the Bible acknowledges the trait of people to over-romantisize the past:
    *** Rbi8 Ecclesiastes 7:10 ***
    10 Do not say: "Why has it happened that the former days proved to be better than these?" for it is not due to wisdom that you have asked about this.

• TR
    TR

ianao,

I cannot condemn the man for what he has done. Many people have jobs now that didn't before he came along. I don't think his immoral love-life was any of our business in the first place.

Clinton was a piss-poor example of a president, let alone a man. I don't care what he did or didn't do for the nation. Can a leader be a good example to those who look up to him if he's a sleazeball? His immoral love-life is made our business by his elected position.
    His liberal flippancy further blurs the line between decent behavior and a bad example for the younger generation, and everyone for that matter.

TR

Edited by - TR on 17 February 2001 1:20:23

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

TR, you have a very good, valid point. However, I'm not saying Clinton wasn't a sleazeball. Politics is full of 'em. I'm just saying he didn't hide it as well as Presidents in the past, due to not having as much control over information now. Viva la information superhighway.

RCat

• joel
    joel

RCat,

I agree with what you said...about what one ought to expect from ifriends.

Personally....I wasn't up on the whole situation...or it would have been my pleasure to exhibit some backbone in your defense.

So......here we are......

....n I'm lookin' forward to your expressions.....their loss!

Pax,
    joel

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Thanks, Joel. I appreciate the kindness.

RCat

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Roaming,
    I too am somewhat in the dark about what actually occurred, but I do know from personal experience, it is very hurtful when our supposed friends don't take up for us when necessary. I have always been the kind of person to stand up for my friends regardless. Even fist fights in my younger days. So when I got no support in very emotionally charged situations later in life, it did some very deep damage. Actually, some of these types of situations were the beginnings of my leaving the org. I have a strong sense of justice and loyalty, and when that isn't displayed I have a real problem with that. It took a long time and many bad experiences before I "got it" and got out. I think I have less tolerance for it now. If I sense injustice or disloyalty I am a lot quicker about getting away from those who display it. But it is a difficult mind-set for me to understand.
    Sorry you had to experience some of this! You sound like you have a right to be "righteously indignant"! To quote the famous Borg.
    TW

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

HI TW, you voiced my feelings exactly. Although toward the end of the fracas, some did finally wade in and have a good say at the perpetrator, there were those who stood back and just let the chips fall, so to speak. That's where the hurt and disillusionment came in. I have since found out, that some didn't even know about it, and would have come to my defense had they known. But the entire thing just takes alot of energy out of a person. Sigh, I'm getting old and tired of slaying dragons! lol I just want to sit in my chair and crochet! hehe..

RCat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit