Whatever Happened to Backbone?

by Roamingfeline 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Hi all.. just having my gripe for the day.. heh heh.

Once upon a time, people had something called moral fibre. They had ideals which they believed in. They weren't afraid to stand up and take the heat for the sake of their friends, or possibly family. They weren't ashamed of saying to someone who acted like a lowlife, "Hey, your behavior is unacceptable and until you own up and change it, we want nothing to do with you".

NOT the Disfelowshipping way that JW's do, but a certain standard of behavior was expected and adhered to. Nowadays, it seems that noone cares what people do, how they act. Everything is "OK" and acceptable, and as long as it doesn't affect a person themselves, they couldn't care less what that "lowlife" is doing to others.

Am I making sense here? That's what I mean by "Whatever happened to backbone?" What has happened in our society that everyone forgives EVERYTHING, no matter how bad, or how lowly a person acts, and noone seems to want to stand up for the persons done wrong and fight the "nasty ass" who causes it all. They'll let the one person who is strong enough to say something take the heat and the hardship, without saying a word. Why is that? Why would people rather watch that strong person take a royal beating for standing up for what is right, than confront the lowlife with their unacceptable behavior? Is it because they don't feel the strong one who cares is worthy of their support, or what?

RCat

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Cat,

A fine grip, for sure. But before I venture an answer, perhaps you could shape your discussion a bit more?

I think most would agree that the strong, virtuous, person shouldn't take all the heat. But what are you talking about? What exactly is your complaint?

If you're backing up someone's stance, who & what are you backing up?
    Where can we find this discussion? On the web? newspaper? tv?

Will look forward to more information.

waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Interesting topic. Just how far should one go in standing up for what he believes?

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

Well,

I guess that would depend upon what one believes. Seems there are a whole lot of open-ended questions being asked. If Friend taught me one thing (against my will) it was to qualify statements.

For instance, if I believe I should rule the world, like Napoleon, does that give me the right to conquor the world? What about the people who will be ruled? Do they have the right to die because they believe they should be free? That is a qualified question pertaining to how far should someone go to stand up for what they believe. But now, another person might answer: "No, I don't believe you have the right to kill millions of people because you believe you should rule the world."

When a qualified statement or question is put forth, then the other person knows what is being asked - specifically. Until that time, it's somewhat like a crapshoot.

Cat, then you, have put up many open-ended questions - perhaps some qualifyers would be forthcoming? You ask for our interpretations of your questions - why not frame your questions more specifically?

waiting

• Xandit
    Xandit

How about we string Clinton up from the nearest lamp post, that would be a good way to start on the road back to some sort of civilized behavioural standard.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Good point, Waiting.

Okay. Without getting totally specific. You are sitting amongst a group of people who you believe to be your friends. Long-time internet friends, and some you've met personally. All profess to BE your friend. You are in the public park having a picnic (public message board, not yours, Simon!)

Here comes Joe Blow, one who used to be part of the group, but he proved himself over and over to be a liar, a cheat, among other things, and a troublemaker. But he's sooooooo charming. So the new people around your group, who never knew him, fawn all over his charming greasy self. You are minding your own business, having a chat with people, when another party comes into the picnic, does something awful to one of your friends and then runs away. You AND your friends chase after the person who did this. In comes Greaseball. He starts grabbing YOU and beating on YOU just because you are the one who got him banned from the picnic for his lousy behavior. He sees the opportunity to get ahold of you and start bashing you into the ground, so he does. He leaves your friends alone. You are fighting with all your might with him, not to let him get the best of you.

Suddenly, all your friends at the picnic just sit back and watch the show! Their backbones seem to have taken a vacation. Their excuse is, "they don't want to get involved" Greaseball's reason for beating on you is he is angry that you "banned him". He claims innocence. EVERYONE who is not a newbie at the picnic knows he is not. They are the main ones he wronged. WHY do they sit there watching you get beat to a pulp, rather than beat the crap out of greaseball until he GOES AWAY? What kind of friends do this?

Do you have a right to expect your friends to help you, or at least knock the idiot off your back and let you get back up, or is that an unreasonable request? Or do you have no friends, you just THOUGHT you did?

Hope this helps,
    RCat

Edited by - Roamingfeline on 16 February 2001 1:1:8

• TR
    TR

Xandit,

I agree. Many are willing to wink at Clinton's behavior if they think he's doing a good job. A good lynching of our former prez might be a good thing.

Rcat,

Once upon a time, people had something called moral fibre. They had ideals which they believed in. They weren't afraid to stand up and take the heat for the sake of their friends, or possibly family. They weren't ashamed of saying to someone who acted like a lowlife, "Hey, your behavior is unacceptable and until you own up and change it, we want nothing to do with you".

I believe this "backbone" is absent in most of our society today. The people who stand for "moral fibre" are few and far between. We need to do a little moral and ethical "butt-kicking". Unfortunately, I thought the WTS was the way to go, but they turned out just as corrupt as many Clintonesque politicians.

TR

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Thank you TR, I feel the same. And now I've left a board where I thought I had good friends, because of it. Only the owner of that board stood up and spoke out when it became apparent that noone else would. I'm truly amazed how apathetic people can be, even in the face of viciousness. As I told someone else I know today, some people need to have a steel rod placed where their backbone should be! There are too many spineless jellyfish in this world without enough caring to come to the aid of their fellow man. It's a shame.

RCat

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

RCat...just so you know....I was only posting on that board sporadically for the last couple of weeks, and I totally missed the confrontation. I heard a little about it, but never could locate it.

Can't say too much, since I don't know all the details, but most felt that they just didn't want another confrontation. Slimeball is back on other lists, however, and I find myself battling him on a totally different front.

Let me know which thread this was. I didn't see it originally, and I have been unable to find it since.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. You're a straight shooter and didn't deserve lousy treatment from this scum. ***HUGS****

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Cat,

I was wondering what/where/whom you were referring to. Thanks for the post to TR - it helped.

I, on a rare occasion, speak too fast, too hard, too sarcastic, whatever. I tend to become waaaaay too motherly in a bitchy sort of way. On our board, we've had a lot of new people, and old people like me have had to learn to adjust.

When on a board, I think it's interesting the times people speak up/remain silent. I'm still new to the web, haven't figured out the dynamics of it all. Of course, I've not figured out the dynamics of my Dauchshunds either, so it could be just me.

I understand the concept of being left out to dry - all alone. Particularily when it's a situation and/or argument that concerns others also. I'm sorry your experience left such a bad taste in your mouth. In my opinion, when someone plays the aggressor, another person has the right to answer back just as aggressively - if they choose to. I don't get into sainthood stuff, but politeness is ok.

I hope you got in some good shots before the situation got too nasty.

As I told someone else I know today, some people need to have a steel rod placed where their backbone should be!

I thought for sure that you were going to name another body part.
    Must just be me, been hanging around Red too long.

Welcome any time.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit