Getting my feet wet

by Soledad 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Soledad
    Soledad

Hi all!! I have been lurking here for about 3 months or so, and I guess I finally decided today to jump on in and join the board. I don’t want to make this post too long, but just to give you all a background……I was born in 1975 to a JW mother and non believing father. I have one younger brother. I DA’d myself in June 1998, after spending many months looking at websites, most notably Freeminds.org , and doing my own research on Watchtower doctrines. Prior to 1998 I had been inactive for part of 1996 and most of 1997. I live in NYC, I grew up in Mount Vernon, NY and had attended the Yonkers Spanish congregation (established in 1970) most of my youth, up until my baptism in 1988, and then the congregation split into two: Lincoln Park and Getty Square congregations. I remember all the hoopla about how the congregation is growing and how Jehovah’s blessing is ever present, blah blah. The “growth” was all about immigration into the area, that’s all. Folks who were already witnesses in their homelands just looked for the nearest hall and joined, usually bringing along with them an average of 6 children per couple, the aunts, uncles, cousins, sisters, brothers, etc. I think you all get the idea.

I remember two specific times when I said to myself “enough is enough”: the summer district assembly at Nassau Colliseum in 1996 and a time I was participating in field service shortly after the assembly. I somehow just woke up, so to speak, and looked around me and realized that at age 21 there was just no way I was going to spend the rest of my life living like this, sort of in a void. If any one here has been raised by one believing and one non-believing parent, I think you know kind of how that feels like---you just don’t belong anywhere. The more active JW’s didn’t treat me right, I had a constant feeling of being left out. Moreover, my father was severely injured in a construction accident when I was only 6 weeks old, therefore it was my mom who had to support the household and my dad stayed home. She took a night job when I was about 5, shortly after my brother was born, so I never knew about meetings other than on Sunday and field service until I was 10, when my mom quit her job and we all moved to Caracas, Venezuela.

It was there in Venezuela that I started participating more in field service and going to more meetings and more assemblies, often traveling very far away. Going back to my father, I mentioned that he was always a non-believer, however, there were many times when he studied (almost completing the “red book”) and sometimes he would halfway attend the meetings---leaving after the public talk, attending the assemblies only on Sunday, and to this day he still attends the Memorial every year. I think that some people are under the impression that having a non-believing parent grants you the best of both worlds—that you can have your cake and eat it too. Not in my case. My father is El Primo cheapo, the granddaddy of all cheapskates. Since he left all child rearing duties to my mother, despite her being exhausted from working so late into the night and having to look after my younger brother during the day, that meant no birthdays, no Christmas, no nothing. My father was ok with all that because he thought that holidays and birthdays were a greedy-capitalist American invention, that back in my homeland we never had so much, etc etc. My father grew up in Europe right after WWII, so he’s very used to going without. To this day he still thinks that a complete meal consists of potatoes, onions and olive oil—end of story.

I’m so sorry that this post is so long, I guess I’ll post more of my story bit by bit, rather than all at once. You all seem like a great group and I look forward to some great interactions! Enjoy your day!

What the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi Soledad

Welcome to the board

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Soledad, welcome to the board. I am sure you will find lots of encouragement here.

Looking forward to your next installment!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hi Soledad, welcome to the board.

<passing something to dring and fluffing his pillow>

get comfy and enjoy yourself here.

Hugs,
    j2bf

• larc
    larc

Welcome soledad,

Like yourself, I was raised by my mother, and my unbelieving father had very little to say about how my sister and I were raised. I grew up in the 40's and 50's and things were not as strict back then, so I got to do some of the things that became forbidden later. One sad thing though, the religion alienated me from my father's side of the family. I saw them occasionaly, but was never close to them.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

(((((((Soledad)))))))))

Looking forward to getting to know you.

• voltaire
    voltaire

Welcome to the board!
    This is a great place for fitting in! Lot's of people here have had similar experiences. My father wasn't (isn't) a JW. My mom was baptised in 1975. I was a little fart then (now I'm a big fart, some things don't change) She's a beautiful person, and I understand why the witnesses appeal to her. Nontheless, the whole thing was very traumatic for me as a young person. You grow up thinking your father is going to die at Armageddon, You want to please both parents, which can't ever happen. You must have a good head on your shoulders to be able to see through it all. It took me longer, probably 'cause I'm a momma's boy.

BTW, where's your father from? Italy, I presume.

• TheStar
    TheStar

Welcome to the Board Soledad!

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi Soledad, and welcome in to the pool

Your story helped me feel better today. I was married to a non-jw and struggled to bring up my two sons in the borg. I remember, heart aching here - how they tried to make sense of the concept of their father's eventual murder by God. They were very young, and had of course only those hideous illustrations in the "book of bible stories" to "help" them visualize such a thing.

Arrrgghhh.... I'm out now, and they are spared further abuse. I liked the term you used... "VOID"

By the way - is 'Soledad' a spanish word, or are you a sole dad?

Take care, lauralisa

• Soledad
    Soledad

Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes. My father is from Portugal. It's not so much that he had no say in how me and my brother were raised, it's that he's very "old world" in his beliefs, meaning that child rearing and household duties are women's responsibilities. He could have put a halt to what my mom was doing; he never agreed to it and he knew that it was causing me and my brother harm. But he just stood by and watched. By all means this does not mean that my father doesnt care or doesnt love us, I know that he does. But I guess, looking at it objectively, he is the type of father who wants to be involved in our lives, but at the same time allows us to make our own mistakes and learn from them. He is not the overprotective, overbearing type at all. He lives by the "tough love" motto, I guess.
    He tells us why certain things are bad and how he feels about them, but in the end he lets us decide.
    On the other hand my mother hasn't finished potty training yet, especially when it comes to my brother. Looking back at it now, I think I remained in the Organization longer than I should have mainly because of my mother's guilt trips. Anytime I talked or mentioned something about "not doing this anymore" she would go off in tears and talk about not joining her in paradise, etc., to this day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit