I Want My Money Back!

by Beck_Melbourne 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Do you remember the donation box on a stand at the back of the Kingdom Hall, or sitting on the coffee table in the centre of the room at the book study? Since I was a little kid I remember my grandmother giving me a few coins to put in the box for the world wide preaching work fund...and then as I grew older...I was given a note or two...this time for a neighbouring Kingdom Hall fund. As time went by...an adult in my own right...I would discreetly put in a few notes for the Kingdom Hall utilities or to help with the costs of hiring a stadium for the district conventions etc...and sometimes for kingdom hall quick build projects.

I feel so ripped off when I reflect on the amount of money the WT has inherited from deceased estates...and the amount of money and Real Estate they have hoarded over the years. And now I learn that I haven’t stopped giving to the WT...as my sister told me recently that my JW grandmother intends to leave the bullk of her estate to the WT....AND...I suspect my JW mother will do the same [>:(]

Should I passively sit back and let my siblings, aunts and uncles and myself be ripped off ‘again’?? Or should I actively contest when the time comes??

When my mother’s diabetes affected her vision...it wasn’t the WT who drove my mother and grandmother to their assemblies and conventions....it was my DF brother. When my aged grandmother had an operation on her knees it wasn’t the ‘friends’ who went around to cook her meals and clean her house...it was her very own grown worldly children. In fact they painted her kitchen and gave the house a face lift while she was recovering in hospital. Should they be denied their inheritance, especially since my grandfather was never a witness....his worldly adult children should not be denied what he worked for all his life because of my grandmother’s fanaticism towards her lifetime service in the ‘troof’?

What are your thoughts??

Beck

• animal
    animal

Well, I helped myself to the money in the box in our hall when I was 15 and getting ready to run away. We were rebuilding the roof on the hall, and I would go down inside to take a leak, or whatever... and snag some 20's every trip. Over a few weeks, I had hundreds of dollars, which financed a few of my excursions away from the assholes.

Animal

• Kep
    Kep

LOL animal, you da man !!
    I did enjoy a few treats thanks to the contribution box, man it was great being the accounts servant hahahahaha!!!
    Beck, that sounds pretty sh*tty if you ask me.
    How's your gandmother go and do that. I can't see the rest of her kids taking that lying down.
    As for your mother, well that's a bit of a worry. I wonder if this is new light from her or something that has been done a while ago.
    I wouldn't let them do that, the Joho's have enough suckers and their money without taking from the family who are there thick and thin.
    Kep

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Animal: While I was putting money IN...you were taking it OUT! I as dumb..you were really smart LOL

Kep: my mother is an unsual character...she has always been influenced by my grandmother's thinking...and since my grandmother has already mentioned her own intentions...I can see my mother following her lead.

Beck

• Mazza
    Mazza

Hi Beck, Is there any way you can let your G'ma know how well off the WTS is? Most people are pretty careful with their money and want it to go to a worthy cause that needs funds. If she knows how well off they are then maybe she will change her will.

I think you have to get to her before she goes, coz I don't think you would have much success contesting it.

Btw I'm in HK. I will get back on teh 23rd - so if you send an email to my Aussie address I will know what to do and where to go for the apostofest. K?

Or you can use my hotmail address. [email protected] :-)))

Marilyn

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Mazza aka Marilyn

Hey stranger...I was wondering where Marilyn had got to...incogneto as Mazza LOL

I'll drop u an email in due course with details of our get together.

As for my grandmother...I don't see her all that much...but I think you are right...it would be worthwhile letting her know...but it has to be done so discreetly...as she will consider it 'apostate' talk. If it comes from me or my DF brother...it will fall on deaf ears...but if my JW sister were to mention it...she might listen. Its worth a crack...not that I would probably contest her will. I can see my aunts and uncle contesting though...and I wouldn't blame in the least.

Nice to hear from you...keep your eye out for my email on your return...and have a great time in HK.

Beck

• terafera
    terafera

Hey Beck!

Ugh, sorry to hear about your grandmother! What you said was so true... would it be possible to write a letter stating what you said, and somehow, gently give it to her? If that is too forward, I wonder how she would react if you played dumb and asked her how she will be taking care of her children after she's gone, the guilt trip might work .

As far as telling her the Society is doing fine without her, I doubt that would work. The meetings are constantly telling the 'flock' how badly they need donations, donations, donations!!

I hope it works out, I can definitely feel your frustration!

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

ROFL.. Animal!!!

-Rick

• avengers
    avengers

I was baptized August 15 1969. I finally said the hell with it in 1999. 1999 is actually a nice year. Turn it around and you have 6661.

30 years. I wonder now how can anybody be so dumb.

Beside the amount of money that my sons and daughters put in the collection-box, I saw my oldest son when he was about 5 put in all of his savings, I myself put in every month about 20 dollars plus the amounts at circuit-meetings and assemblies adding up to about 50 dollars a year. Arithmatic. 12 months times 20 equals 240 dollars.
    plus 50 equals 290 dollars. 290 times 30 years equals 8700 dollars.

Actually the amount is way way more. When I include all the labor and all the cash I just threw in, clothes for the meetings, gas, food and coffee for bookstudy-meetings, and more I would say that if I wanted my money back then 30.000 bucks would not even cut it.

WT I want my money back. You set me back way more than just money. When the time is right, I will sue your ass. And the fact is I'm not the only one. ....... So be aware!

Oh oh. I shouldn't make them aware of this on a public board. But then I don't have to be afraid because righteous people like them don't visit these bad apostate boards.

hahahahaha. now there's a laugh.

• Mazza
    Mazza

Hi Beck, Well I'm really dumb at computers. Anything other than typing a message and posting is beyond my comprehension. So when I was setting up here for JW.com, I didn't think I could be Marilyn on a different email address - so went with a real Ozzie sounding name.

With regards the inheritence thingy, terafera is right. Granny ain't gonna catch on to how well off the WTS is any more than she is gonna catch on to what a pac o' poo it is.

My siblings (all dubs) would be really upset if my folks left their money to the WTS. In fact sometimes my father says he'd like to pretend that's what he's organised just to see the horrified looks on their faces. The fact is my siblings are so hard up that they are relying on their inheritence to get them to where they should have been 25 yrs ago. That's my way of saying they have so little already, that the bit they will get won't help much, but is better than nothing.

So how does your dubbie sister feel about granny and your mother donating all their worldly goods to the Tower? If you can get her working on the problem then you may stand a chance. You kinda need to show her those programs about tv evangelists who pass around the bucket (not the plate) - try to get her grey matter vaguely working again.

It's pretty sickening - I know that it's everyone's right to leave their money to whom they please, but I'd rather see your g'ma leave her doe to a cat home - where it might do some good, rather than the WTS, where it can only do harm.

M.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit