Elder and i discussed beards, and got into rules and regulations

by Jon Preston 26 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Will we need to perform manscaping in the new world?? I mean, we don't want to go around naked, offending newly resurrected ones with body hair. What about that resurrected Pirate that has to shave his beard? We would't want to stumble him.

DD

• BU2B
    BU2B

This whole subject is maddening. They say they dont allow beards anymore because "the world" associated them with hippies and rebels. We would not want to give a "bad witness". Now that we can give examples of how professional people have nice well groomed beards and ask "Why are they not allowed now since lawyers, judges, CEOs, etc have them?" The response often is how WE DONT ALLOW OURSELVES TO BE CONFORMED BY THE WORLDS STANDARDS AND OUR STANDARDS MUST BE HIGHER! wth??? They admit the beard ban was in response to worldly fashions and standards, but now that those same standaards are changing again, they wont change as the world dictated (facepalm).

This is just another irony like how JWs in Canada are allowed to watch movies that JWs just over the border cannot because th two countries have different ratings systems lol.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The No beards policy for JW men as well long hair was created because the WTS. wanted to

design and create an image for their own sales representatives, to look clean, honest and presentable

before the public. These is no bible Scripture to support this, actually there is a commandment to not

shave the sides of men's heads as quoted from Leviticus, the reason why you see male Orthodox

Jewish men with long side hair locks.

When the GB men say we do not go beyond what is written in the Bible, that is the biggest lie these men

have ever put forth and most of these lies are created out of the WTS's commercialization of its products,

namely their own published literature.

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

My thoughts on beards.

1. My wife finds it attractive. That's all the reason I need. I do not like women with hairy legs or hairy arm pits. My wife grooms herself for my taste why shouldn't I so how reciprocity.

2. My children love my beard. Since they were little they would rub it and run their fingers through it for comfort.

3. I love my beard. It throws people off when they see a big dude in a nice suit with a nerdy bow tie. People never forget me.

As far as in beards in the business world argument, WTBS always uses here are some examples.

Rick Rubin (Columbia Records CEO)

Larry Elison (Oracle)

James Simon (hedge fund manager)

Gary Parr (hedge fund manager)

Carlos Slim (richest man in the world)

• sir82
    sir82

The reality is, it's a sort of loyalty test for JW men.

Is the man dumb / timid / spineless enough to just go along with the norm, if he'd really rather have a beard? Or does he insist on making it a big deal?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

When this man returns to earth he will undoubtedly be taken aside by the GB men of

Watchtower Corporation and counseled on his beard and hair length.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Point out that we are to be in imitation of Christ and in nearly every picture (probably every one, but I can't say that for sure) Christ has a beard.

Beards are the modern-day, anti-typical circumcision issue.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

This really made me laugh.

So if we allowed beards, we would have to have abunch of rules about what the beard would look like, so in order to not burden the sheep with more regulations, we just say you can't have them as a rule.

Hilarious!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Under the WTS's guidelines no man who wears a beard can be righteous.

In-spite of the fact that just about all men in biblical times had a beard.

Some religions insist that men are not to shave off their beards as this is seen as a insult to god

and his Creation.

Personally if I were religious I would see this being fruitfully correct in keeping a good standing

relationship with god, but I am a atheist.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“redvip2000”: “This is simply about control, just like tattoos and sisters wearing pants. It's about this outward over-the-top showing of how disciplined JWs are.”

“BU2B”: “. . . OUR STANDARDS MUST BE HIGHER!”

This issue regarding beards is somewhat similar to the WTS protecting and not reporting pedophiles to the authorities – it’s all about the public image of the WTS organization. They want to show everyone that all the JWs are superior in every way to the rest of the “world.” And this is their basis for judgment.

They are so hyper focused on the stereotypical JW image of the squeaky-clean well-groomed polyester-suit-and-tie-wearing door-to-door literature salesman that they fail to see the Bible’s simple perspectives, such as: “For not the way man sees [is the way God sees], because mere man sees what appears to the eyes; but as for Jehovah, he sees what the heart is” (1 Samuel 16:7), “Do not let your adornment be that of the external braiding of the hair and of the putting on of gold ornaments or the wearing of outer garments, but let it be the secret person of the heart in the incorruptible [apparel] of the quiet and mild spirit, which is of great value in the eyes of God” (1 Peter 3:3, 4), and “Go, then, and learn what this means, ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’” (Matthew 9:13).

The old-timers at Bethel headquarters may look respectable, but, as Jesus said about the Pharisees: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. In that way you also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.” (Matthew 23:27, 28)

So true worth would definitely be correct in the eye of the beholder – who is Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit