HANDLING CHEMOTHERAPY - Advice anyone?

by hamsterbait 26 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I have just been diagnosed with colorectal cancer (Tuesday).

The consultant told me I am to get a scan to see how far it has spread.

I am going to have surgery to remove it, then chemotherapy with a break in the middle.

Strange to say I am more terrified of dying under the anesthetic than anything. But I have a fear of nausea and vomiting, which chemo caused in all my relatives who have had it.

Any advice for coping with this?

HB

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Yogi Lemon Ginger Tea should help you with Nausea. I drink them, it taste very good. I use two tea bags each time.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

So sorry, Hamsterbait. I never have had to deal with chemotherapy yet. There are medications that help and also alternative meds. A medication was causing nausea and the nurses at Pain Management spoke with me. I could not afford the prescription which was $150/day. They told me what herbs and foods to purchase in Chinatown that would help.

My understanding is that different chemotherapies have different side effects. You need to prepare for what you will be given. Some people report hardly any side effects and others wonder if the agony was worth it. Others will post. You are unique so it is hard to predict.

Again, I am so sorry to hear this news. Pls let us know how you fare. The good news is that is for a finite time.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Sorry to hear this. Lost myt mother to cancer not too long ago.

Right nutrition has a profound effect. Patients who take control of their daily choices are in better shape to fight cancer and respond better to treatment.

Eat more:

• Egg whites
    • Legumes (lentil beans, check peas)
    • Seeds
    • Nuts
    • Good fats (olive oil, flaxseed oil, fish oil)
    • Cold water fish (wild salmon)
    • Whole grains
    • Cruciferious vegetables (broccoli, cabbage)
    • Berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
    • Green tea

Avoid:

• Dairy products (promotes inflammation and mucus production)
    • Red meat (iron supports cancer cells and too high in bad fats)
    • Processed sugary foods (promotes inflammation and fuels cancer)
    • Bad fats (trans fats, saturated fats in processed baked goods)

Sugar can give cancer the upper hand.

Studies that suggest breast cancer patients who add exercise and cut out processed sugar are able to keep their insulin levels under control and cut their risk of recurrence in half and decrease cancer death by two-thirds.

Cancer cells are glucose guzzlers. Think about this, the way a Petscan works is by introducing glucose into a patient to see the cancer cells that would divide more rapidly because of the glucose. There are many studies that show in various cancers that show as you increase blood sugar levels, you speed up growth of cancer. In fact the survival, response to treatment the outcomes are all clearly associated with the ability to maintain or lose control of sugar levels and its impact on insulin."

Patients try these things before chemotherapy:

• Take two 500 mg capsules of ginger root 15 minutes beforehand
    • Exercise for 15 minutes an hour before treatment (walk, ride bike)
    • Check vitamin D levels in advance (simple blood test)
    • Take fish oil (anti-inflammatory)
    • Take curcumin (anti-inflammatory)
    • Sit outside in morning sun for 15 minutes
  • lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

check the survivial rates before chemo. just saying.

I wish you all the best

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Smoke pot to raise your hunger.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Pot helped my family cope

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I'm sorry to hear that. There's some limited evidence that fasting briefly before each bout of chemo can be of benefit. There needs to be further research but check out some of these links http://www.google.co.uk/#q=fasting+before+chemotherapy may be worth a go?

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/coping-with-nausea

I take a medication that has bad side effects and some of the suggestions above work for me. I would find a nearby cancer support group and learn from their real life experiences. Work with your doctor too especially with alternative treatments. BTW I've know 3 friends that had surgery and chemo with good success, still going 10 years now.

SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS Safety Information about ENBREL

Serious infections have happened in patients taking ENBREL. These infections include tuberculosis (TB) and infections caused by viruses, fungi, or bacteria that have spread throughout the body. Some patients have died from these infections.

Patients treated with ENBREL also may be at risk for other serious side effects including nervous system problems, such as multiple sclerosis, seizures, or inflammation of the nerves of the eyes; rare reports of serious blood problems (some fatal); heart failure, including new heart failure or worsening of heart failure you already have; new or worsening psoriasis; allergic reactions; immune reactions, including a lupus-like syndrome, lymphoma (a type of cancer) and other cancers.

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Ignore my post, what I mean was s moke pot after chemo to raise your hunger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit