Fallacies Illustrated

by jgnat 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
  • Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Thanks.I found the sight helpful. I am trying to practice spotting and identifying them to improve my critical thinking.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Thanks.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Me, too. Even though I enjoy debating, I have not studied the various fallacies seriously or completely. I just know when one is being used. Then I look it up to see why it is wrong.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'm sure the 2nd list is posted on the walls of the Writing Dept cubicles.

Doc

• adamah
    adamah

Thanks for the video on the rationalist delusion, as Haidt's studies confirm that ALL humans are prone to cognitive biases, and all are vulnerable to uncritically accepting those very ideas we'd LIKE to be true, and are pre-primed to believe.

Unless we question the very ideas we'd want to be true (by not ignoring those very alarms that are sounding, "It sounds too good to be true!"), people are only going to be victim to others. The Bible offers that lesson in the VERY FIRST account, with Eve falling prey to the ear-tickling of the talking serpent, telling her what she wanted to hear as the Bible says she coveted the fruit, and desired what it offered).

It's also important to remember that ALL authors are selling books, and if they want to remain successful authors will present what their audience is going to actually pay good $$$ in order to hear.... It's why authors who want to speak truths have to wait until the very end, just before death or retirement to tell their readers what they REALLY think ('swan-song' works, eg Sigmund Freud's "Moses, the Egyptian" was his last book since it was so jarring to his audience).

I always recommend Kahane's and Kavendish's book on logic and contempory rhetoric, since instead on focusing on the egg-headed approach to classical logic, theirs uses a common-sense practical approach to analyzing the fallacies encountered in daily life (eg used by the WTBTS in their mags, or politicians, etc):

http://books.google.com/books/about/Logic_and_Contemporary_Rhetoric_The_Use.html?id=_IIVhDlcCy4C

A free preview is available above, and since the book is used as a college textbook, people should be able to find an older edition on eBay or abesbooks, brick-and-mortal local used book stores, etc on the cheap.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think the only reasoning buzzword posted over WT writer's desks is "evidently".

I see Logic and Contemporary.... is also available second-hand, $4.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=logic+and+contemporary

• jgnat
  • paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Great video

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Will check this out. .. Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit