Does Anyone Feel the Ministerial School Helped Them?

by Band on the Run 38 Replies latest jw friends

• shadow
    shadow

Yes. At least it used to be. Loved giving talks. Became much better at public speaking and it showed all the way through grad school compared to classmates. Now school is so watered down that it might as well be cancelled. True that sisters did not get as much out of it

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

No. I hated it, even as a mere sister. I always found it easier to informal witness as well.

• Gayle
    Gayle

NO!!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Does anyone know when the MS arrangement was started? I have no idea. It is strange how the trauma hurts from decades ago. No one at school degraded me. (well, one teacher but she wasn't my regular teacher. She could be fired on the spot for what she did. The 50s were not the 1960s, however). It is impossible to articulate how much I hated KH. I would engage in devious strategies to attend KH in the suburbs with my relatives. People were nice to me. I even was treated to a Dairy Queen curl cone. Once I told my brother about the cone, he decided instantly to attend with me. Oh, I sold my soul for a DQ cone. It tasted so good. I was loved-all I had to do was sit through the meeting. It never occurred to me to ask for a chocolate cone. Sad. I was like a sit-com kid.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Public speaking at the KH is just about the worst. You weren't taught to speak you were taught to present a commercial. The funeral talk and Memorial are just canned commercials and those two talks are the public face of JW'S.

The ministry school produced clones.

Gez I just had a flashback to the speakers at assemblies!

• ThunderStruck52
    ThunderStruck52

I was extremely shy and introverted as a kid, so the whole experience was anxiety ridden from the moment they handed me an assignment slip. I started like most girls as a householder, usually with your Mom. It was always weird to be assigned a partner that you never really talked to like a 75 year old sister and have to go to their home and practice, etc. Oh well it was nice enough once you did get to know them on a personal level, I guess. Other than that, I hated it pretty much and would worry about it until it was over. The material was so repetitive and the previous poster is right about nobody really remembering any of these "talks" or paying much mind to them in general. A lot of people will make it a point to compliment you on the talk afterwards but this is the only positive reinforcement/encouragement you can expect as a JW.

• Mary
    Mary

Actually yes it did. I have to do some public speaking in my present job and I have to say that what I learned all the years being on the school absolutely helps.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Oh, it definitely helped me in public speaking. . . unfortunately I was f'd up in every other aspect of my life by all that junk!

• dog is god
    dog is god

I think I was 11 when I started the MS. At our KH you always were started on the B room (smaller room in the back used as a library, for nursing, and for smacking your kids). The subject was the horsemen of the apocolipse. My householder was a women who was a unique in many ways who would never follow a script. It was a nightmare. Another time I was in the big rooNAND my householder was a catholic so I used her Douay version. I was chastised for not using the NWT . I had no idea you had to only use their bible. I must say I hated every minute of it. I only learned about speaking from Toastmasters.

• bigmac
    bigmac

yes--it did--the ministry school made me what i am today

A COMPLETE ASSHOLE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit