Paint Nite - fun evening and a new hobby

by Simon 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Awesome!!!
  • Doctor Who
    Doctor Who
    Wet on wet is where you paint the whole canvas in a white wash then paint over top it. You can actually create some interesting pictures that way. It also allows the use of painting knives. BTW....that is an excellent job!
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Simon, this is excellent!

Simon said: Painting is a great way to switch off and focus on something else and be creative.

I agree. I wish I had more time for fun things like this.

• Simon
    Simon
    That picture is very good. Did you paint that, Simon?

Thanks! - yes :)

I'm not sure if 'Paint Nite' would be any good for me - I don't think I have much artistic talent. Maybe a Paint Nite would show me otherwise but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's actually pretty well done. The pictures they are going to do are posted on the website and there are different levels including ones for complete beginners. It isn't as scary as it sounds - I was pretty nervous to be honest but they guide you through it and most people's pictures came out pretty good.

Wet on wet is where you paint the whole canvas in a white wash then paint over top it. You can actually create some interesting pictures that way. It also allows the use of painting knives. BTW....that is an excellent job!

Ah, that's priming the canvas. Apparently you need Gesso for that but we just watered down the white paint and did it with that. I really need a big brush - it takes ages with a normal paintbrush and my arm gets tired, LOL.

I agree. I wish I had more time for fun things like this.

That's where I was but since I made the time to do it I feel a bit more energized for work and seem to be finding that more enjoyable. I like getting work done so I can get back to doing some painting.

I'm sure I'll get bored of it once I've bought all the equipment needed (isn't that how all hobbies work?) but for now I'm loving it.

• bsmart
    bsmart
    Great work!
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Wow! Very nice! I think you have found a hidden talent!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I think art is very theraputic. I saw a report on CBS last night on the popularity of coloring books for adults. People even get together at parties for it. Any hobby that is engrossing offers some of the benefits of meditation. I can't draw to save my life but I do collage and I love it.
  • Simon
    Simon
    I saw a report on CBS last night on the popularity of coloring books for adults

Ha, I didn't know that was a thing. We bought a book from the dollar store with geometric shapes in fine lines to color in - It's awesome. Something just sooooooo satisfying about 'not going over the lines', LOL.

Is that what AA feels like?

• nelim
    nelim
    "Pain Nite" lol! I'm sure it felt like that the first time? It would for me! Very nicely done, it's inspiring :-)
  • LV101
    LV101

Great job, Simon. What fun for you both. Probably your medium was acrylic since you said it dried really fast. Acrylic is very clean to work with (no thinners/chemicals) compared to oil but it's not as forgivable or have that rich, buttery, look as oil.

Love your term, "pain"! When painting outside with watercolors and people commenting how relaxing I'd laugh and think anything but relaxing - bugs in your water/face, sun changing position for your values, etc., etc., and anything but relaxing! Wine would definitely help! Hang in there - it gets to be more "pain".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit