Paint Nite - fun evening and a new hobby

by Simon 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

We (and by 'we', I mean my wife) decided that we should try something new and she, erm, I mean 'we', liked the idea of painting. So I enthusiastically (i.e. begrudgingly) went along for the night to the "Pain Nite" event she'd booked us for a couple of weeks ago.

The premise is pretty simple: it's held in a pub or restaurant, all the art supplies are provided, the instructor then walks you through how to reproduce a painting they have chosen for the night and you have a glass of wine or beer, do some painting, have something to eat, have some more wine, more painting, more wine, realize you are drinking the dirty paint water and so on.

Here's the site: https://www.paintnite.com/

The last time I'd tried to paint something was at least 30 years ago in high school. I've done sketching and drawing since then but have never tried paints (actually, I lie - as I type this I have vague memories of maybe trying water-colors once). But anyway, this was with new fangled "acrylic" paints which seem like a cheaper / easier version of Oils but dry quicker.

Guess what? It was actually awesome fun and we had a great evening! I'd recommend giving it a try if you want to try something new. If you're like me and work too much and do the same work as a hobby after work then you need to find something else to do. Painting is a great way to switch off and focus on something else and be creative.

In fact, we liked it so much we decided to go to Michaels and buy some paints for at home. Last weekend we had our first "paint day" and I scoured 500px to find a photo to use for inspiration. This is the result:

It didn't come out too bad for a first attempt. We're working on small canvas right now while we're still learning and they have multi-packs pretty cheap. At some point we may try the more expensive grades and paints but for now I'm enjoying using the cheap stuff (and hey, it's probably way better paint that any of the master had so no excuses).

Our oldest is also having a go and we're painting the same picture together that he needs for some school work.

If you have always fancied the idea of doing something creative or fancy trying a new hobby, the paint nite's are a great way to try it. Of course there is probably better pure 'art tuition' available at local art classes or by watching YouTube videos but it's fun and low pressure and having all the equipment makes it great to dip your toe in (tip: use a brush, not your feet). Some people were seriously good, some painted things nothing like the example - there were no judgements.

Oh, and yes, it was mostly women but I wasn't the only guy there - I was just the only other guy there. LOL.

• Simon
    Simon

This is what it was roughly based on:

https://500px.com/photo/40138386/canoe-sunset-by-nebojsa-novakovic

I used my phone to view it - now I look at it on my PC there is way more detail in the boat!

It seems like there is a limit to the detail you can add on a small canvas though - the end picture is probably 8x10, maybe a touch smaller. The photo is a bit blurry - the flash just reflected when I used it.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    She's got quite some talent.
  • Angharad
    Angharad
    LOL I can't take credit - that is Simon's picture, I'm not ready to post my attempt yet !
  • Simon
    Simon
    My first paint-nite painting didn't come out quite so good. Apparently alcohol affects ability and coordination - who knew!
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wow..That`s pretty cool..

I can`t imagine what my painting would look like..

It would probably look like Someone was Murdered on that Canvas..

The Police would Show Up and Take It for Evidence..

• Garrett
    Garrett

uh, excuse me... how much are you asking?

That's beautiful! I wish I could do that!

• talesin
    talesin

I am guessing this is the Bob Ross method, using wet-on-wet. Loads of fun for all! I had a friend who was into that in the 80s, and gave it a try. Good stuff.

: ))

• Simon
    Simon

I haven't seen Bob Ross / don't know what wet-on-wet is.

The paint dries pretty quick so I kept doing a bit, leaving it a while and then coming back to it - building it up in layers seemed to work well.

There's probably 1,001 different techniques for different things. I watched a video on doing stormy clouds which looked very interesting, I may try that next.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Paint Nite actually sounds quite interesting.

That picture is very good. Did you paint that, Simon?

I'm not sure if 'Paint Nite' would be any good for me - I don't think I have much artistic talent. Maybe a Paint Nite would show me otherwise but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit