Letting go of the side of the pool

by joelbear 13 Replies latest social current

• joelbear
    joelbear

When I was 7 years old Mom took me to get swimming lessons. One day we moved over to the deep end of the pool which I had always viewed as being as ominous as a bottomless pit.

I was terrified on the day that we had to swim from one side to the other and could barely make myself let go of the side of the pool. I eventually did though and a couple of weeks later was jumping off the high dive into the deep end and having a wonderful time.

Letting go is so very hard, especially for those of us who were raised to believe that every day was rife with disaster. Proof of such fear mongering continues in YK's threads. He is the perfect example of JW mind freeze. The end is near, don't live your life, any minute total chaos and you will be doomed.

Total chaos is of course always possible and always has been. Mount St. Helens created a blast several hundred times as powerful as an atom bomb and there are numerous volcanoes worldwide capable of as big or bigger explosions. So big they can alter the earth's climate. Man is a wildcard in the natural scheme of things since he has the ability to alter the natural world. Sometimes he improves things, more often he makes things worse. His unnatural fiat world of finance is based on faith not real or natural value, therefore it will always be hugely volatile.

So, lets all let go of the side of the pool, get out there and swim and enjoy life today.

What limit should we put on our fun? Matthew 7:12 spells out clearly what our limits are. The "Golden Rule" has always been worth a lot more than actual gold.

hugs

Joel

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Good post, Joel. Thanks!

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Thanks! I needed that, Joel!

KnowYou's posts are reminiscent of the long diatribes my Father would go on when I was growing up. Sometimes I would have to endure his rants for hours. Even after my family were no longer active JW's.

Time for a dip in the pool.

Andee

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jesus also said to live for today, not giving a thought for tomorrow, for it WILL have it's own worries. These words could help to balance YK.

SS

• outnfree
    outnfree

joel!

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• larc
    larc

Joel,

That is a good analogy. I had forgotten about my own swimming experience, but mine was the same. Once I lost my fear, the new world of swimming was wonderful.

Regarding, possible disasters, here is what I think. It could happen to me as an individual or it could happen to the whole world. The question is, what can I do about it, and of course, the answer is absolutely nothing. Therefore, any time I spend worrying about it is time wasted, time where I could be enjoying the precious life that I have.

Today, my wife and I went out, got an oil change on the car, replaced the windshield wipers, then had a cheese burger and chili at a local pub. After that, my wife took a nap, and I spent time on my research manuscript. Doing this prosaic, but pleasant things is so much better than worrying about what might happen someday.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I had to work most of the day, but I did go buy some beautiful blue rug junipers and planted a couple of Azure Sky Irises that I bought this weekend.

I love plants. They give back so much for your efforts.

Joel

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Good analogy Joel.

I, personally, am sick of YK posts and the doom and gloom. I can get that from talking to my mother.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Thanks Joel and everyone else for the great reminders that all we know is right now! It's nice finally living in the present moment--not "when the paradise comes". Life is full of beautiful things, as well as the negative possibilities of war etc. We can either choose to enjoy things like flowers, animals, the ocean, people; or we can hide away thinking that "the end is coming". I personally have chosen to live each day as it comes, and to enjoy it as much as possible--even if it means standing still long enough to listen to a woodpecker on a tree.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

A few years ago I was talking to someone and she spoke of what was between black and white. Not grey but rather all the colors of the rainbow. We miss so much if we live in black and white or in that grey zone.

The rainbow is filled with promise and rebirth - a much better place to live.

I prefer to scroll right on by You Know's posts. They don't say anything I haven't heard before and they are what I left behind. I can't figure out why so many get baited by him and fall into the trap of posting back.

I have been shunned by friends and family. I prefer to avoid those who seek to judge me with no knowledge of who I am today - in my freedom.

I love sunsets and sunrises

.... and rainbows

Aspire to inspire before you expire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit