The Faithful and Discreet Slave

by George 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• George
    George

<B>"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."</B> - <I>New International Version</I>, published by Zondervan Publishing House.

Please note that only one slave is spoken of here in this translation. Some translations give the impression that two different slaves are discussed here in this text. <I>The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures</I>, published by The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, is one of those translations that mentions two different slaves. It is interesting to note that <I>The Emphatic Diaglott</I>, which was also published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, only mentions one slave. What is going on here? Admittedly the text is difficult to translate from the Greek. It is one of those scriptures where a measure of ambiguity exists in the meaning and different translators translate it differently.

Christ asked this question just two days before he was handed over for execution. (Matthew 26:1, 2) It is my opinion that it was he, himself, who was the faithful and wise servant. Please reason on the following: Christ was the one placed in charge of the household of God to impart wisdom and truth to his people. He was the one who gave his flesh and blood, which was the food for the life of the world. (John 3:16, 17) He had offered himself of his own free will. (John 10:11, 18) God had placed all things in his hands. (John 13:3; 17:10; Ephesians 1:19-22) And for these reasons, Christ's Lord and Father, Jehovah, was well pleased with him. The illustration demonstrates that the servant, Jesus Christ, was faithful in carrying out the will of his Lord, Jehovah; and upon God's coming to bear witness to these things, he was well pleased when he found Jesus doing so. This was foretold long ago in Malachi 3:1-5, which says that after Christ had carried out the will of God, Jehovah would come near for judgement. And when the religious leaders rejected Christ as the promised Messiah, God put himself in judgement with them for their wickedness.

In his question Christ also asked, "But suppose that servant is wicked . . ." which clearly indicates that the servant had free will. Christ could have chosen to beat his fellows servants, like the Scribes and Pharisees (who were the confirmed drunkards in the illustration); but, instead, he choose to obey his father's command to lay down his life, and also to receive it back again. (John 6:38; 10:18; 15:13) Adam had exercised his free will when he brought sin and death to his children. And Christ also exercised his free will when he brought righteousness and life to those who believe that he died for their sins. - Romans 5:12-21.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

George, it's time for me to go to work. I'll come back to you on that one...

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Dear George.

Interesting idea that you have here but personally, I don't think that Jesus was referring to himself. This is why:

First of all, what would be the point of telling the apostles that if he, Jesus, did not remain faithful to his father that the latter would destroy him?

It is more reasonable to me that he would issue this as a warning to them, namely: "Be nice to your brothers because your father won't put up with your abuses" or something to that effect.

This particular verse appears to me to be part of the answer Jesus gave in response to the question:

“Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”(NIV)

They were constantly bickering as to who should be the foremost in the kingdom and he could have very well been telling them "Now, look fellas, when the master (me) returns who will reallybe the faithful one? Why, the one that has been taking care of my household, that's who!"

I don't have my Emphatic Diaglott with me now so I can't look it up. The other translations that I did look up all read pretty much like the NWT except for the NIV as you noted. That particular rendering seems to make more sense to me than the others in that it says:

But suppose that servant is wicked..
    ...Whereas the other translations just call him a wicked slave. I don't see where the NWT says there are two slaves, however. Maybe I'm missing something.
  • Frenchy
    Frenchy

BTW, George, you're using the wrong syntax for bold and italics, etc.

• waiting
    waiting

Frenchy,

Thanks for explaining that syntax thing - I was wondering why someone would rather type [quote] instead of just ". Now I know - don't know how to use it, but that's beside the point.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

waiting, you're welcome. It just seems a bit neater, don't you think??

• waiting
    waiting

Neat move, Cajun Boy. Gotta get my honey on this one.

• RayfordSteele
    RayfordSteele

Gotta go with Frenchy on this one. Here's my validation: if Christ is not the master, then who's returning? God's always around, it's not necessary for him to return. Christ therefore can't be the servant.

• Terry
    Terry

Maria Russell, where are you when we need you?

Maria is the author of this exclusively weird JW doctrine.

She applied it to BOTH herself and her virginal hubby, Pastor Russell.

It is utterly goofy. The problems caused by this idiocy have certainly turned an Adventist spinoff group into a cult.

What is the difference between the Catholic church and JW's? The Catholics have the same problem with their Papal infallibility JW's have with their Faithful and Discreet Slave. Know what it is? REALITY refutes it!

Every now and then what these God-channelers run into the brick wall of being dead wrong. End of stroy. They are refuted.

The history of JW's and their F&D slave is a history of failure, bactracking, cover-ups and false prophecy.

Don't fear these people. They rule people who have chosen not to think. They deserve each other.

• OBVES
    OBVES

The scenario is the endtime scenario from the context . It cannot be one person ! How it can rule over the flock ? It implies a total submission of the flock at the will of their shepherd . He has a spirital rule over his flock.

Those at to top in the Jehovah's Witness organization fit this description best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit