Is God real to you?

by alias 28 Replies latest jw friends

• alias
    alias

Hello-
    In a recent topic someone mentioned how much they have drifted from God since they "left the JW's."

As someone brought up in the org (inactive for several years)I have found this to be similiar in my case. I don't know how much I believe the fan/plug analogy (remember that in the Live Forever book?), and often think that a measure of "feeling" close to God is an emotional thing. Of course I can be totally off-base with my own feelings on the matter and don't mean to offend anyone by saying that. I just don't know how else to express it honestly.

After reflecting over my years in the org, I realize that I never really got to know God, but was more involved in the typical JW lifestyle/religion and of following the policies and procedures of man. When I "left", there was no relationship with God, as it never really seemed to exist in the first place, except somewhat when others would pray. In my own praying it never seemed totally real.

It has been over the last few years that I've also given serious thought to how much Jesus actually has been more of a God to us than Jehovah (according to the NWT). It was Jesus who actually seemed to create us (everything Jehovah did was through him), and we pray through him.

Of course, JW's aren't really supposed to venerate Jesus as they would God. This is all quite confusing though! Anyway, I'm posting because I want to know if anyone can identify with my feelings of estrangement and even belief in God after seperating from the org. And also, since Jesus seemed to do so much for us, do you feel the same confusion I do over why he seems to have way less importance when it comes to praying and showing thanks?

I try to pray often and yet I still feel that God is not real. Each day I wonder more and more if he is really there for us and really cares. Sometimes the points of atheists/agnostics get me thinking... but I have a difficult time accepting that there is no hope at all for anything.

Another thing... could my relationship with "him" be more difficult on account that I've never had a strong father figure in my life?

I hope I've articulated my thoughts well enough not to be misunderstood in my inquiry. But I'd appreciate your sincere thoughts on this.

Thank you.

• TR
    TR

Hi, alias!

After reflecting over my years in the org, I realize that I never really got to know God, but was more involved in the typical JW lifestyle/religion and of following the policies and procedures of man. When I "left", there was no relationship with God, as it never really seemed to exist in the first place, except somewhat when others would pray. In my own praying it never seemed totally real.

Exactly how I felt.

TR

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Hi Alias,

Your feelings and story almost exactly mirror mine. In an earlier post when I first introduced myself to the group, I too described my feelings of growing up as a JW and going to all the meetings and going through the all the motions, but not *feeling* the same way the others around me apparently did. I would sit at the KH and think "what is wrong with me that I can't feel this in my heart?" For the longest time I thought there was something wrong with me! But the longer I'm away <It has been at least 5 years since I have been *active*, but have been to a few meetings here and there> the more I realize that there is absolutley nothing wrong with my heart. For the first time I'm actually starting to perhaps *feel* some love in my heart for a creator/creators. For some reason as one of JWs this feeling NEVER surfaced...I always felt so dead inside. And the more stories I read here on this forum, I also see that I am by no means unique in my situation! I have been thinking for the past few days too, how much closer I feel to Jesus than to anyone else in the bible. His teachings were so full of love and true peace. I'm new to this unbiased studying of the bible, and boy is it a wonderful sense of freedom!

Nice to have you with us Alias. Hope to hear lots from you!

Eyes

• JT
    JT

Same here-

Once the door was OPENED to question WT the next step that many former jw take is to examine the concept of "A Loving God"

for the first time in my life i can ask the questions that i have always wanted to ask of a "loving god" without fear.

some may argue whether there is a god or not, but one thing is for sure if there is a god then he has been sitting on the front porch drinking iced tea while his kids have been down here on earth getting the shaft-

while i would never tell someone that they must have my view- for i understand that for many they need a concept of God-

so as i say "If it gets you thru your day- provides you with peace of mind - then Great- but i don't need those things any more"

- and i fully understand why believers feel the way they do - thier belief system requires it of them and therefore they have no choice but to look upon others as somehow lacking in thier life-

all religious belief systems require that of it's followers in one way or another----------

this was a post i read awhile back that best describe my feeling about the various ways beleivers try to explain the concept of a "Loving God"- while at the same time watch his kids here on earth get the "ROYAL SHAFT"

*************repost********

The Tale of the Five Officers (2000)
    Mark I. Vuletic

When Ms. K. was slowly raped and murdered by a common thug over the course of 1 hour and 55 minutes, in plain sight of five fully-armed off-duty police officers who ignored her terrified cries for help and instead just looked on until the act was carried to its gruesome end, I found myself facing a personal crisis.

You see, the officers had all been very close friends of mine, but after hearing about their inaction, I found my trust in them shaken to its core. Fortunately, I was able to talk with them later on, and had my doubts laid to rest.

"I thought about intervening," said the first officer, "but it occurred to me that it was obviously better for the murderer to be able to exercise his free will than to have it restricted. I deeply regret the choices he made, but that's the price of having a world with free agents. Would you rather everyone in the world was a robot? The attacker's choices certainly weren't in my control, so I can't be held responsible for his actions."

"Well," said the second officer, "my motivation was a little bit different. I was about to pull my gun on the murderer when I thought to myself, 'But wait, wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity for some unarmed by-stander to exercise selfless heroism, should he chance to walk by? If I were to intervene all the time like I was just about to, then no one would ever be able to exercise such a virtue. In fact, everyone would probably become very spoiled and self-centered if I were to protect everyone from rape and murder.' So I backed off. It's unfortunate that no one actually showed up to heroically intervene, but that's the price of having a universe where people can display virtue and maturity. Would you rather the world were nothing but love, peace, and roses?"

"Personally, I didn't even consider stepping in," said the third officer. "I probably would have if I didn't have so much experience of life as a whole, since Ms. K's rape and murder seems pretty horrible when taken in isolation. But when you put it into context with the rest of life, it actually adds to the overall beauty of the big picture. Ms. K.'s screams were like the discordant notes that make fine musical pieces better than they would have been if all the notes were flawless. In fact, I could scarcely keep from waving my hands around, imagining I myself was conducting the delicious nuances of the orchestra."

"Look, there's really no point in my trying to explain the details to you," said the fourth officer, who we had nicknamed 'Brainiac' because he had an encyclopedic knowledge of literally everything and an IQ way off the charts. "There's an excellent reason for why I did not intervene, but it's just way too complicated for you to understand, so I'm not going to bother trying. Just so there's no misunderstanding, though, let me point out that no one could care about Ms. K. more than I did, and that I am, in fact, a very good person."

"I'll let you in on a secret," said the fifth officer. "Moments after Ms. K. flatlined, I had her resuscitated, and flown to a tropical resort where she is now experiencing extraordinary bliss, and her ordeal is just a distant memory. I'm sure you would agree that that's more than adequate compensation, and so the fact that I just stood there watching instead of helping her has no bearing at all on my goodness."

By now, it had become clear to me that there was no difficulty reconciling my friends' goodness with their behavior that one day, and that anyone who disagreed must be doing so for love of evil over good.

After all, anyone who has experienced the officers' friendship in the way I have knows that they are good. Their goodness is even manifest in my life--I was in a shambles before I met them, but now everyone remarks on what a changed person I am, so much kinder and happier, and possessed of the inner calm that everyone so desperately seeks. I am ashamed that I ever doubted their entitlement to my loyalty and my love.

As I was getting ready to leave, the first officer spoke up again. "By the way, I also think you should know that when we stood there watching Ms. K. get raped and stabbed over and over, we were suffering along with her, and we experienced exactly the same pain she did, or perhaps even more."

And everyone in the room, myself included, nodded his head in agreement.

JUST MY 2

JT

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

As a JW, I followed the rules. I did what I was told was pleasing to God, and I prayed to Him in the proscribed manner. I never received an answer. I never felt His presence. I determined that I must have fallen short in some way, so I tried harder.

When I became inactive, I felt that I was too unworthy to speak with God. If He didn't listen to me as a good JW, He certainly wouldn't listen to me as a bad JW.

There came a point in time, however, when I needed a friend to talk to. I needed comfort. I prayed, expecting nothing. I prayed without giving a thought to all the JW rules. I received comfort, and I received an answer. I was stunned, to say the least.

I've continued to feel the presence of God in my life. However, I sometimes wonder if God is not so much a "being" as He is a force into which we can, as individuals, tap and which we can utilize. In this way, we are all, in a sense, God, in that we are part of this universal force.

I have experimented with Reiki, or the healing touch, in working with my animals. I have felt something outside of myself flow through me to help another creature. I don't understand it. I can't quantify it. I know it happened, and I know it worked.

I have gone from being an all-knowing JW to a person who "knows" little, but who is open to much.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Hi Alias,

After reading the post so far, I can see that many of us have similar feelings.

JT,

That was a great post, pretty much sum up my feelings about the God of the Bible.

RHW,

I think I have your line of thought. That we all are Divine, and we just have to keep our minds open and free to tap into all of our gifts.

It is so stange that I don't believe in the God of the Bible. But, now I feel so close to God (don't know what his name is, what his purpose is, etc.), but I do know that someone created us and I want to work with what I have now - A beautiful body, mind and spirit. I don't want to spend my life here worried about my afterlife. I don't want to treat people nice, because of a reward tommorrow. I want to smell the sweet flowers, air and witness what God want me to have NOW, I want to think good thoughts and carry out good deeds, because they make my heart sing NOW. I want to get to know my fellow wo(man) the good and the bad, so I take their life lessons to help shape my life lessons. I don't want to read a Book that is suppose to be the word of God and fight and squabble about its contents. I don't want to condemn others for not carry my beliefs, but to try to understand theirs (even thought it is hard).

Well, as you can see I could go on and on. And only because I am so Happy to Be Free to Tthink for Me.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Wow happy! I totally agree. That is exactly what I feel. Goes along with John Lennons song imagine

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
    It's easy if you try,
    No hell below us,
    Above us only sky,
    Imagine all the people
    living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
    It isnt hard to do,
    Nothing to kill or die for,
    No religion too,
    Imagine all the people
    living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
    I wonder if you can,
    No need for greed or hunger,
    A brotherhood of man,
    imane all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
    but Im not the only one,
    I hope some day you'll join us,
    And the world will live as one.

Ya just gotta love John!

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Eyes,

I think that is one of the greatest songs. Those lyrics are just GREAT. You have to love a guy like John.

Happy to be Free (Me)

• alias
    alias

I truly appreciate all of your comments. Thank you for taking the time to respond. TR, eyes, Redhorsewoman, happy, JT, thank you for sharing your perspectives.

I seem to have a lot of the same feelings as both of you, eyes and Red. It seems almost like groundhog day around here, same story, different people. It's amazing how much a like many of us are.

Thank you again for sharing.

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Alias,

My take on this matter of whether we had a relationship with Jehovah while in the organization is this: We really never cultivated a close relationship with Jehovah because we believed that the WTS was doing this for us. So we read exactly what they told us to, even with bible reading. Bible reading is really second to their publication in spite of what they say. If you follow their schedule of reading through the Bible, it would take you seven years to complete the Bible. That's a little ridiculous when you consider that you can read it from cover to cover in six months without it taking all of your free time. I believe that's the main problem, we did not put reading the bible as our first priority. You cannot cultivate a relationship with Jehovah if you do not do as we are admonished at Psalms 1: 1-3, which reads: "Happy is the man that has not walked in the counsel of the wicked ones, and in the way fo sinners has not stood, and in the seat of ridiculers has not sat. But his delight is in the law of Jehovah and in his law he reads in an undertone day and night." I would think, as verse 3 shows, that strength is derived from reading the bible daily not the Watchtower publications. These publications are helpful but only in a secondary sense.

I have found that since I left the organization and have continued to follow the Psalmist's advice that I have not lost contact with Jehovah and, in fact, I believe that I have a much stronger relationship than I've ever had with Him and I do still read Watchtower publications even now. They have done a lot of good research that I've found invaluable in my study of the Bible.

Hope this helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit