Why do so many exJWs promote Watchtower lies and cover-ups?

by Fernando 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Whenever I left, I realised I was responsible for my own decision to leave. I didn't want to shake someone elses faith.

So I didn't promote the 'lies', but I didn't try to deconstruct them either. I used to defend JWs on other forums. Usually posts about how awful it was that JW kids didn't celebrate Christmas, birthdays etc.

Until one post was from a non-JW who worked for a JW. And was gay. And he said that he had no problems, he found the JWs welcoming, self-depracating and not at all pushy. And that was the time I realised that it wasn't up to me to defend them.

Leaving the organisation isn't like changing jobs, and I was fully aware of what I was doing. However, I wasn't prepared for the genuine emotion I had from those I was leaving behind. And that was tough. And you can say it was the 'cult' at work, but I don't believe it was. There were real friendships, and admittedly, when the crunch came to the crunch, they chose their religion. But I expected them to do that.

What am I trying to say?

I think everyone who has left has a period of uncertaintly which can last for years. I don't expect my 30 years of indoctination to vanish in the 10 since I left. And I don't think I am in a position to encourage others to leave, knowing the emotional trauma that will be inflicted on the person.

It's like when you read stories about people who smoke or are obese and continue smoking/eating, even when their doctor has told them they will die otherwise. And they keep on doing it. Because the choice to quit has to be from the person doing the quitting. It can't be forced. No amount of facts and figures will convince someone to quit unless they really want to.

And isn't it better to live the new life rather than looking back?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In it's most simple form, any time one changes a belief he's an apostate to his former belief.
    Although a noun, it is a descriptive noun that functions more like an adjective to me than a label.

• Terry
    Terry

None of us would rationally feel an obligation of loyalty to anyone who had betrayed us deliberately and unapologetically.

Yet, the Watch Tower does betray those who trust the Society to give them unadulterated information free of impurity.

By demanding loyalty of those whom they have consistently betrayed for over 100 years, the Governing Body has signalled sociopathy.

No matter what, the JW's are expected to do as they are told unquestioning and loyal to the bitter end.

It is so much easier to do as you are told than it is to risk ostracism by questioning, investigating and fearilessly enduring societal pressure to submit.

For one thing, what tools does a DUPED person have? Intellectual damage is done once you are indoctrinated.

Your emotional ties to friends--the only friends you are permitted--is a bias to free thinking.

THE TRUTH is really a bundle of compromises of our intellectual and emotional well-being through submersion into layers and layers of

trust, submission to authority, acceptance of intepretations, and finally committing oneself to LOYALTY to (Jehovah) the proxy GB.

Once you've wandered into such quicksand, the more you struggle the more you sink deeper.

It is truly a Catch-22. How can you make your life better by first making it worse?

That's the dilemma for the person who will automatically be labeled APOSTATE.

Ironically, it is often the case, subconsciously a JW will do something to get themselves DF'd in order to escape because thy don't have

the strength to fight the doctrinal battles of argumentation.

Once freed from the authority of the cult, it is a strenuous self-rehabiliation which comes next--as mentioned--with damaged thinking mechanism still in place.

Often the people who come to "help" are themselves invested in yet other religious delusions and loyalties.

The frying pan-into-the fire syndrome must be avoided. On the rebound a "believer personality" often bounces into yet another form of bondage.

Like an abused woman, the "aposte" only has the ability to find yet another abuser.

How? Why?

The abused talks about their own vulnerability aloud. It is like a wounded animal in the forest. The predator smells the meal!

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

As an official disfellowshipped JW for APOSTASY....we are redefining the term apostate! We embrace it by the dictionary's definition that we have left a CULT and choose to follow Christ instead of 8 men in Brooklyn....

But ADCMS is right....most of us use it in a tongue-in-cheek mock against WT...

We even had t-shirts made up...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

One mans apostate is another mans free thinker ......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit