Topics not often discussed now

by jdubsnub 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jdubsnub
    jdubsnub

When I was a kid in the early 90's there always seemed to be a mention of how demons posessing people or how if you saw a demon or something supernatural occuring mearly calling Jehovah's name would rid you of the situation. Rarely now a days do you hear anything of the sort. That got me to thinking, what are some other topics the society has backed off of?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

King of the North

• flipper
    flipper

1975 being the " end " of 6,000 years since Adams creation. Anything that Russell or Rutherford wrote about has since been replaced by the ever changing " new light "

• sir82
    sir82

7000 year-long creation days. Never officially "new-lighted", but just never mentioned anymore.

They haven't mentioned blood fractions for about 10 years now.

"The dwindling number of anointed ones remaining" - especially since the number is growing at about 5% per year.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

How can the GB just change a bunch of doctrines like that? And their "reasons" are even reasons for goodness sakes! Saying, "Upon further examination," is not proof of anything!

• Upon further examination of Jesus’ prophecy, however, we perceived that a part of Jesus’ prophecy about the last days has two fulfillments. - w2013 7/15, p. 4, para. 4

And think of what that implies: The FDS/GB apparently did not go far enough in their previous examinations for the last 100 years to come to this understanding. So how can we trust anything they say? How exactly did they come to have this "perception" that was different from that the FDS had before?

Also, if the current understanding about the GB/FDS is correct, then what was the previous understanding?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Why must I obey any instructions printed in WT publications even if they don't make sense?

• At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. - w2014, p. 20, para. 17
  • jdubsnub
    jdubsnub

@sir82 - That's one I haven't heard in a while! I'm pretty new to TTATT but that was something that always puzzled me. How

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

What specific acts married couples should not be doing in the bedroom (oral, anal). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they've been avoiding this hot potato since maybe the 1980s. Like sir82 said about the 7,000-year "days", this bedroom-meddling has never been "new-lighted", leaving various hapless JWs to find the older articles in their research and thinking that the Society still means to forbid these acts, when really they probably wish they never printed the articles in the first place.

• sir82
    sir82

OOh - here's one:

Why can't JWs have beards?

You have to go back more than 40 years to find anything written about it!

• jdubsnub
    jdubsnub

I'm currently dealing with that issue. I've had a beard for the past 2 months. The brothers haven't been able to give me any solid reason to shave it. I have a "skin condition" haha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit