The real reason the WBATS don't want you in college!!!

by ADJUSTMENTS 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• man in black
    man in black

OK I work at a two year community college and during semesters the witnesses have a table set up in the student area everY Wednesday.

How can they sit there and try to get followers, yet go against the whole reason the college exists ?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Apognophos hit it right on the head..

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

4 years? 4 weeks more like. It just took me 2 weeks of not going to meetings for the spell to break. By 4 weeks I knew I'd never be going back again.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Nope, the real reason is because if all the youth went to college the Watchtower Society would be denied the unpaid 'fool-time' voluntary magazine salesmen called pioneers and all the free slave labour bethelites and construction workers.

The whole organisation and it's global $billions property empire is built on voluntary young adult slave labour.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

May I ask someone here what happens in four years that does not happen in two years?

Their idea of a two-year education is a technical or vocational school, one example being the "building trades". Thus, there is not as much importance spent on critical thinking skills.

Doc

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The thing is, attending a college for two years implies that it's a community college, ergo no dormitory. You're still living at home. This means that your exposure to worldly people is a fraction of what it would be at a normal college.

The above is why I wonder if they might turn their upstate NY "educational" compound into a JW college, much like the Mormon's BYU. The plans looks just like college, complete with the olympic-sized pool and recreation centers.

By so doing, they negate the 'JWs don't believe in education' accusation, but control the message and environment, thereby minimizing the risk of losing young adherents.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

JT: The above is why I wonder if they might turn their upstate NY "educational" compound into a JW college, much like the Mormon's BYU. The plans looks just like college, complete with the olympic-sized pool and recreation centers.

Interesting idea.

I don't see how they could ever pull it off though, unlike other religions, there couldn't be enough JWs with the requisite background to staff the faculty of a university and get any kind of legitimate accreditation. And they certainly wouldn't hire non-JW professors.

Even a JW "theological" seminary or sorts would require professors holding doctorate degrees in a wide variety of disciplines: English, Mathematics, Science, History & Government, Art and/or Music.

Here's a short list of General Education (lower division) requirements from a local 4 year college:

• Humanities: One religion course and three additional courses selected from religion, literature, philosophy, history or humanities.
    • Social Sciences: Two courses in different disciplines selected from an approved list: cultural anthropology, criminal justice, economics, cultural geography, political science, psychology,or sociology.
    • Natural Sciences: One course, with a lab component: physical anthropology, astronomy, biology, chemistry, physical geography, geology, or physics.
    • Visual and Performing Arts

I know JWs like to pretend that they are the best at everything they do and don't need "worldy accreditation" for what they do, but for the WTBTS to try and create a bona fide university they would need that. A degree from an unaccredited institution isn't worth much once you leave school.

What would a WT driven curriculum look like?

Imagine Sam Herd telling someone with a PhD in Chemistry that radiometric dating with Carbon-14 is unreliable; or that goofball, Stephen Lett, who's dumber than a box of rocks, arguing the year 607 BCE with a genuine expert in middle eastern history?

Never gonna' happen. That's why all the JW "school" are all "taught" by company men covering only JW doctrine and "theology."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, the dorm experience. You may very well be right. Whenever I had complaints about behavior in my first rental after law school, I only had to say I was not paying to live in a dorm. It summed up so much.

Interesting things happened in the dorms. I was in women's dorm. The rules were strict. They cared about whether I was alive. Next, I was among the first students in a co-ed dorm at a men's college. There appeared to be no rules. The early 1960s were so restrictive than when some rules fell the whole system fell.

Can you imagine a JW University? The notion is so funny. It could be the next step. I've been worried that they would get their hands in home schooling. When I read about some Founding Father's education at an Ivy League college (the oldest colleges) it is completely different. They only studied a few subjects. The student body was so small. I wonder what the JWs would need to establish a colllege. Some for profit schools seem very skimpy on subjects.

I expect that the dorm life would be a different experience from mine. It is comical. They have the bank account to do it.

• JustMe2
    JustMe2

On another point, the article seems to be providing a more liberal view of extracurricular activities than I remember. It says, "Christian youths need to maintain the proper balance between serving the true God and participating in other activities. Those who do so are heading for success in life and deserve warm commendation. Some young Christians, though, become heavily involved in extracurricular activities and hobbies. Such activities may not in themselves be objectionable."

Didn't the Society's stand used to be that ANY extracurricular activities would involve bad associations and an improper use of time? Could someone find that info?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think that's just a case of the Society using weasel words. If they imply that something is frowned upon, even in large quantities, then the rank and file will avoid it even in small quantities -- and the Society knows it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit