History And The Search For True Christianity

by pronomono 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

It's interesting how the original 4th century cannonized Bible had 73 books, but the protestantreformers in the 17th century took out 7 of the books, leaving 66. Instead of Catholics adding TO the Bible, the prodestants took away books.

• jgnat
    jgnat

But...but...nonjwspouse, the original sifting was large and various. I wish Revelation had not made the cut. I hear it got in by a hair.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/

• Perry
    Perry

Which one do you think is correct?

This is an interesting question. I used to think that this question is silly because the truth doesn't live in a religion it exists wholly with God. "Your Word is truth"..... "I am the Way, the Truth and.... In the beginning was the Word.

But, Ive since softened a little and can say that religion does matter. Where you find a body of believers preaching faith in CHRIST ALONE for salvation from judgment after you die....you won't be far off. Also, when members display a servant attitude, it is a good indicator of "correctness".

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Two thousand years, millions of people searching and still no one's found it. What does that suggest?

This is just a re-frame of the ridiculous JW meme: "God has always had an organization!" ... except of course all the times when he didn't.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Wanting to believe something does not make it so.

• Perry
    Perry

Two thousand years, millions of people searching and still no one's found it.

I found it. Lots of folks have.

My truck license plate reads:

Know Jesus, Know Peace

No Jesus, No Peace

When a person makes friends with God through the blood of Jesus alone, you'll know it better than you know your own name.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Perry: When a person makes friends with God through the blood of Jesus alone, you'll know it better than you know your own name.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that the title of this thread implies that "True Christianity" is the sole possession of only one particular religious organization.

My original take on the message of the Bible, and the one I currently hold once again after casting off the shackles of JW "theology," is that Christianity is about a personal relationship with yourself and our Creator.

It seems that is what you are describing as well. If that's the case, then we're in agreement!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

There are no historical records of what happened to those early churches or what they taught, apart from what little is said about it in the writings of the early church fathers http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/churchfathers.html

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Spot on Yadda, and it seems there never was a consensus of opinion as to what was "truth", there were simply a lot of conflicting ideas that evolved and grew in different directions.

The search for the "original" set of Christian teachings is to look for something that was never really there.

What would be wonderful would be if a collection of contempory writings of the teachings of Jesus were to surface, something like the Gospel of Thomas, but I doubt it ever will. Jesus himself wrote nothing down, as far as we know, he may even have been illiterate for all we know, and so may his close companions.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Scholars agree Jesus certainly wasn't illiterate, judging by the various references in the gospels to him reading from scrolls, quoting them extensively, etc.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well yes, if we take the Gospels as historically accurate .....................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit