Any problems with AAWA.CO

by BackSlider 12 Replies latest jw friends

• BackSlider
    BackSlider

I hear you Simon, and let me say its an honor to even have you voice your opinion on my question.

One of the things they said about the Occupy movement is that they werent organized. I see both views on this and both are valid, however it seems like history tells us that if enough people make a sound, even with a few bumps along the way, people listen. Look at the the KONY2012 campaign. That thing was up and then came crashing down, but if you look at what actually happened the World listened and actually have made it a priority to find and capture Kony for the atrocities he has caused.

Religious freedom laws are monsters, we just might look back and realize that if it wasn't for the masses standing against these abuses we may have never got the attention they needed.

This sight has provided a home for so many of us that are lost, angry, sad, lonely, frustrated and wanting to be heard. Thank you so much for taking the time to make all of this possible Simon. I think its time to start working together and say: We will no longer act like we don't have a voice, We will no longer act like we don't have any power, We will no longer behave like abused children that have no recourse. Because truth is, We are thousands, We are able, We will be heard and they WILL be STOPPED!

" I " can't do this, but WE CAN DO THIS SIMON!

It may be that AAWA is not the way, but there's enough of us to start a think tank, come up with plans that work and then put those plans to action, and make a change for good.

BackSlider

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I only know about them from the posts here. My background is that I am a civil rights lawyer, admitted in New York, who has studied and participated in political movements, esp. the American Civil Rights Movement. I've worked on landmark Supreme Court cases. In fact, I was awarded a full merit scholarship for public interest law at an elite law school. I've spent decades in meetings at the ACLU, NOW, and other repeat players.

It helps to know a broad amount of history of other movements. Certain problems keep facing movements around the world. Many people only read headlines or see caricatures of movements on TV. It is not let us run out and protest. The WT presents difficulties b/c it is a religion. Further, it is cult like, if not a cult. The WT has molded the prejudices of JWs for years. Apostates are supposed to be vindictive trouble makers. We are mentally ill.

I knew more than one year before the org. was formed that one was coming. Cedars was rather obvious. I could see a change in the content of his posts. Frankly, I saw a power grabber. I argue from my background that we are most effective as individuals or as small groups doing guerilla type actions. The WT has the resources to find out vast amounts of personal information about key individuals. Also, what type of person, fresh from the WT, wants to lead a large group. There are psychological motives. Our individuality was suppressed.

The petition is not a true petition. I've worked on real petitions. Change.org is a dubious organization. Even if it were, the President and Congress have no power to change the WT under federal and state law. Attacking the WT in large groups is what the WT wants. It likes playing David to Goliath. Don't play lawyer or the Chicago 7. When there are barriers to traditional forms of organization, you need to think creatively. Many members here have been doing antiWT activities for many decades. They needed no marching orders from a young man. If you are going to write a petition, see an English professor to make certain it is written properly. The petition was a mess. Its very wording signaled amateurs were at work. There must be thousands of examples of petitions available on the web.

Members here proved one need not challenge the Witnesses in a dinky fashion. You don't need fancy degrees. A modicum of responsibility and pride in your protest craft are nice assets. The WT legal staff is laughing. Rather than signaling that you are formidable force, the leadership signals that they are dinky and ignorant. I've been here too long to believe that exJWs are dinky freaks. Reading newspapers would be a start. People here are too enamored of the law as an agent for change. The headlines make law seem so easy. Justice through law is the exception, not the rule. There is a reason law school is so difficult and long.

I hope I am wrong but I honestly don't believe I am wrong. Playing activist and being an activist are separate items.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with much of what BOTR has said. My opinion is that AAWA was started with good intentions but fumbled the ball early on. An immature and presumptuous clown merrily stepped into the role of being the "public face" of AAWA. (Reminds me of Joe Rutherford in some ways.) Fortunately the blunders of Bozo were SO large it wasn't long before he was removed from power. I made the mistake of judging all of AAWA by the actions of one clown.

I am not interested in being a part of any organized "resistance." I've done my thing just fine with little help. JunkYardDog has been a good friend and ally. Surprised? Sometimes people are not what others think they are.

My hope is that AAWA will, in time, become what they want to be. I wish them success at putting a thumb in Jehovah's eye. It is satisfying to do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit