memorial

by daveyJones 13 Replies latest jw friends

• avengers
    avengers

I think the memorial should be celebrated everyday!

After all free bread and wine, where-else can you get it for free?

Sorry. I just couldn't resist.

• Angst
    Angst
    UADNA-US (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-United States)

more info please Dungbeetle.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

JoesephMalik,

The scritpures DaveyJones sighted do indeed refere DIRECTLY to the Agape Meal which eventually became the communion practiced by Christians today. To assert that the early Christians only participated in a "Memorial" type observance once a year at passover denies both Scripture and History.

You quote 1 Cor 11 thusly

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord‘s death till he come.

Well the word “often” must be understood in context with what is being discussed. And that something is the “cup of blessing” discussed earlier by Paul which is the third cup of wine consumed at Passover. This is a specific reference to Passover not some weekly or random observance. Notice:

10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

What you ignore here is the entire beginning of the 11th Chapter which asserts that Paul is upbraiding the Corinthian Christians because the of the conduct of their meetings. ALL their meetings, and the fact that while they SHOULD be observing the Lord's supper, they are instead busy with with eating and drinking to the point of gluttony and drunkeness.

Yes, the Cup of Blessing that is drank was indeed the third cup of the passover observance, but it's not called the "Cup of Blessing" in the passover, but rather, the "CUP of Redemption" That Paul refers to it in context of the Passover does not in ANY WAY indicate that the meal he refers to was celebrated only once a year.

GANG, Let me tell ya, when the New Testament is talking about the "Breaking of Bread" it refers SPECIFICALLY to the event that becomes the Christian COmmunion.

Notice how in Luke's Gospel the Disciples on the Road to Emmaus recognize Jesus "At the breaking of the bread".

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• AGuest
    AGuest

The answer is really quite simple... and discernable (may you all have peace!)

Since my Lord is the TRUE bread that 'came down out of heaven', and in order to be in union with him so as to live forever we must eat his flesh and drink his blood (John 6:48-56), we can ask ourselves:

1. In order to live PHYSICALLY while in the 'wilderness', how often did the Israelites (and those that went WITH them, don't forget! Man, woman AND child!) eat the manna? And yet, THEY DIED! But THIS 'bread' grants us a means to live ETERNALLY... for it feeds NOT the body... but the SPIRIT! (John 6:48; 1 Corinthians 10:3; Psalm 78:25)

2. How often do you WANT to be in union with Christ? Once a year? once a month? Or??? (John 5:56}

3. What did my Lord TRULY mean when he taught us to ask the Father "give us our BREAD... for the DAY?" (Matthew 6:11)

particularly in light of his words that...

4. "Man 'does not LIVE... by bread (the stuff made from grain) alone..." What did he TRULY mean when he said that man actually LIVES... 'by the Word that came out (proceedeth) from the Father'? (Matthew 4:4) (and yes, this was an error of ransliteration, when the copyists translated it from Aramaic to Greek!)

Just ask yourself these questions... and then make up your mind... and your HEART... as to what is 'right'. And if you are still unsure, then ASK for 'wisdom' (a 'gift' of God's spirit) to know, and the holy spirit to guide you. (Luke 11:13; James 1:5-7). But ask... in FAITH.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit