Wow... you WERE right! The KH was to teach you how to SELL!!

by ILoveTTATT 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 4thgen
    4thgen

My JW Mother HATES sales people. "They use cunning to get you to do what you don't want or buy what you don't need!" When I told her that the Service Meeting was actually a training meeting to learn how to sell, she was extremely insulted. "It's for learning how to place books" she said. Without attending College, the only thing that JW's are trained for is either cleaning or selling. That is why so many born-in either own cleaning companies or are sales people. It's the only training we got!

• 88JM
    88JM

I've had shepherding visits when I always felt the elders were about to whip out the projector and pull up a spreadsheet graph or a bar chart and laser pointer. They certainly felt like corporate meetings sometimes.

Elder: "So why do you think your hours have not been as high for this month as they were this time last year?"

Me: "Umm.... "

Elder: "Well let's look at your hours here together. You see..."

• Londo111
    Londo111

For those who came in after...

In 1990, I believe we offered the Watchtower and Awake for 50 cents. The magazine and literature servant had a rigorous job in those days...they simply didn't hand out literature, they had to take money, give change. They locked the literature room or department.

It is funny the vestiges of these roles remained over time. When I was the literature servant, the Society backed out of selling publications, but I still I had to take inventory, even counting tracks and so forth. We still locked and secured the literature, even though we were essentially handing them out for free. The only thing we were good for really is taking special orders.

We were selling literature door-to-door. I repeat: We were selling literature door-to-door. Of course, we rigorously denied we were selling anything. We were “placing” literature and simply recouping the “printing cost”. Of course, that was all spin and redefining the language. It was selling.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Welcome to the board 4thgen

• wasblind
    wasblind

They certainly felt like corporate meetings sometimes____88JM

They were exactly that

" The Watch Tower and Tract Society of Pennslvania, a legal religious corporation that is used by Jehovah's Witnesses " ____Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 201

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Welcome 4thgen!!

londo, there must have been a switch at some point to the place/sell doublespeak.

At least when I was a kid, it was "place"... I remember being told that we DON'T sell the literature, we PLACE it.

The first KM's actually said "Golden Age SALES office". They weren't shy back then of stating their true intentions.

• shadow
    shadow

It looks like each column is for a week, ending 16th and 23rd

• Londo111
    Londo111

Since learning TTATT, I ‘knew’ this intellectually, but I’ve finally grasped this deep down: for the first 18 years of my life I was a door-to-door salesman and, here is the kicker--I didn’t even know it!

I’m not quite sure what I was doing after 1990, handing out literature for free. I remember the convoluted mumbo-jumbo how we were not to say free, but “at no cost”. It is so funny how things were spun, and how I accepted the spin.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

That picture could have been from the 1960s, I remember the same board from that period. Only more numbers.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The WTS claims they are a " Non- Prophet Profit "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit