Wow... you WERE right! The KH was to teach you how to SELL!!

by ILoveTTATT 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

SELL MORE STUFF

As you can see from the picture, in the Kingdom Hall there was a board with "Publishers, Books, Booklets," etc... aparently for the entire congregation. Not sure what the other line is, maybe it is a goal?

Can anyone tell?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

This photo reminds me of something I'd forgotten about.

When I was growing up as a JW, there was a 4'x4' curtain on the wall next to the stage, but instead of there being a window behind it when you opened it, there was a tote board. They'd open the curtain and swing the board out toward the audience. On it was a record of all the literature,hours,studies conducted and meeting attendance for the year to date. There'd be an entire part in the meeting once a month where the brother would stand in front of the board and review it with the audience and they'd compare our Halls activity to the rest of the Halls in the country and remind us where our quotas were lacking.

I also remember there'd be "campaignes" for certain literature or for offering magazine subscriptions to the householders. I could never get up enough nerve to ask someone if they wanted a subscription. After all, why anyone who wasn't a Witness want to read the magazines let alone have a years subscription to them.

I remember all those nice older sisters and brothers who'd take those of us who were kids of women with unbelieving mates, out in service and would keep such careful record of our activities in the territory they'd have checked out. I saw one of those old Brothers recently (at least 80 by now) after all these years he was still at it. It was a dark foggy rainy morning and as I waoted at the light near a lone bus stop on a rural road I saw him step out of the darkness wearomg the same dark overcoat and black fedora and offer a tract to a startled terrified man who was standing alone waiting for the bus. This old brother's two kids by the way, turned out to be total train wrecks yet he is out at the crack of dawn recommending his way of life to total strangers.

I realize I have a whole lifetime of odd JW tales to tell that would mean nothing to anyone except maybe a former JW. I guess that's why I came here.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

To add to Pete's comment there were black and red numbers to indicate in which activities the congregation did or didn't achieve their monthly objectives...I remember cutting each digit from large printed sheet provided by the society and pasting them on the board. In our hall the board was set on an easel stand at every Tuesday night meetings.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I would be interested to know what year this picture is. They were still using boards like this in australia in the early 1960`s when I became a witness .It was supposed to be a guide / encouragement as to how the congregation was faring on a national scale and also to encourage you to do more to bring the national average up.The boards used in the 1960`s were more detailed as to where you were as a congregation compared to the national average .Their was what you had acheived , the goal you were supposed to acheive, and the national average . If I remember correctly.

It was displayed the first service meeting after the end of the month for all to see. This was at Central cong. in Melbourne a hired hall.

One other thing was the 30 minute test you did each month at the service meeting , you were given a sheet of paper with questions on the previous months meeting to see what you had learned , and you were marked/scored as to how well you did after you handed it in to the overseer.

Memmories , god.

smiddy

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I would be interested to know what year this picture is.

So would I. Also the publication it's found in. Also the occasion - a Sunday?

The banner must be a Scripture text - I'm thinking 'Salvation unto our God' (Rev. 7:10 - ASV, so pre-NWT). I'd say late 1940s?

Am I warm?

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I remember the board with publishers names listed and their hours, mags, books, etc. I use to sit and study it when I was bored as a child. This was the 50s

• pixel
    pixel

Thanks for sharing. We can see traces of this when the R&F turn in their repor, or they do a demo. But the norm over time is that the WT/FDS/GB lowers the quality of everything.

They go from "making sure that you know what are you doing" to "it's your responsability. Do it!"

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow.....you were right ! The KH was to teach you how to SELL !!____ILoveTTATT

You Got that right

And the Theocratic ministry book is the sellers guide

that even a vaccum cleaner saleman could use

Case and point :

# 32 EXPRESSED WITH CONVICTION

What you need to do?

" Speak in a manner that shows you are fully convinced of the truthfulness and importance of what you are saying "_____TMS Book page 194

JDUB: ' I'm calling to offer you a free in home demo of the SUPER DUPER JEHOOVER vaccum cleaner

If I may, I'd like to just take a few minutes to demonstrate how people in some 200 lands live a much cleaner life

# 33 TACTFUL YET FIRM

What you need to do ?

Show discretion in what you say as well as how and when you say it, in order to avoid offending others needlessly___TMS book page 197

Case and point :

JDUB : Wow. what a nice home you have. I'll be movin' in real " SOON "

Householder :

JDUB : Here's the "Truth ". If you use the SUPER DUPER JEHOOVER vaccum cleaner

you will not only be able to see the wheat pattern in your carpet but you will also remove

the weeds that have grown from the ground in dirt.

And................... if you purchase the SUPER DUPER JEHOOVER vaccum cleaner

The Corporation I work for will throw in a lifetime supply of Nu Light, Light bulbs

that gets brighter and brighter as it send your electric bill sky high

But that's a small sacrifice. Wit " Nu light ", you can Keep on the watch

for spots in your carpet and keep the congregation clean your carpet clean

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Picture is from the late 1940's :)

• wasblind
    wasblind

I can imagine that without the internet and super centers

Door to Door salesmen were at thier peak in the 1940's

Share this

Google+